Pip - tiny, old and now alone

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you think it's because they are quite big pictures? Anyway the first pic was taken the night he arrived and the next one a couple of days ago in the garden - he looks a mess because we had to cut away lots of matted fur, but he's clean and sweet smelling now and fast asleep in his cot till lunch time!

Well done Merlin poor little chap it looks like you have worked wonders on him from the stories at the beginning to his pic now ...He will never now how lucky he was to find you ...

Just a thought ... which Im sure you have thought of ...

Our old cat started simular behavoir to what your saying about Pip ... the vet and I couldnt work it out , first thought was that she had had a stroke but test done proved not , so I watched and watched her trying to find some reason ... when I twigged she was not drinking for some reason... eating fine but no water , I mentioned this to the vet and he put her on a drip for 24 hours , a week later she was wound back 10 years , and fit as a flea again .... and then she started to drink again as well ...could it be this ?

The vet said being dehydrated can cause symtoms just like dementia .

Hope he continues to do well

Hi Pads - no he drinks lots as there are three water bowls at various points in the house and another two outside which he finds and uses regularly, but in any case I always make sure I pop him in front of a bowl several times a day and he does always drink. He's not miserable I have to say and has a voice when I put him in his cage to rest and he thinks it's not time for a rest..... cheeky monkey has quite a loud bark and he always gets his own way! I really do think that he's getting the best out of life at the moment despite me fretting - he travels around all over the house and gardens and then just flops when he's had enough and I go and find him and pop him in bed!

Fantastic news for little old Pip Merlin - he is doing fine with your excellent care!  Who knows what is going on in his head with the life he has had, but I think he sounds as happy as he can be with you!!!

Jouals

[quote user="Pads"]The vet said being dehydrated can cause symtoms just like dementia . [/quote]It  can in humans too. Many old people have been diagnosed with dementia when all they needed was a regular drink of water.

• 2 weeks later...
Time to close this thread now. Sadly little old Pip died peacefully in my arms last Friday. He had a bad night and hadn't wanted to eat much on Thursday evening. I sat up with him but he was restless and slept in fits and starts and then had a small stroke just after dawn which left him unable to walk properly. I took him to the vet first thing, he was calm and in no pain. The vet agreed that it was time to let him go and said he was, in his estimate at least 18 years old! Little boy licked my cheek as the sedative took hold and I whispered to him and he gave a big sigh...... I brought him home to be with the other two under the apple trees in the orchard in the sun. He had love and dignity at his end and if there is a doggie heaven then I hope he's with my other treasures who went before him. Feeling very sad :((((