flying cats

skye

Has anyone travelled with their cats (long distance flights) that could offer advice on the best way to do it?

The airline tells me that they will allow them into the cabin but my OH is very opposed as they may howl and upset everyone else. I'm not so concerned about others (selfish of me I guess) but their best interests - however I may have to settle for putting them into cargo unless he relents. I don't plan to sedate them but I'd appreciate any advice on how to keep them comfortable and what to look out for if anyone else has gone through this. Thanks in advance...

Some twenty plus years ago we took our cat from UK to Dubai, she

travelled in a standard cat box which was of a type approved by the

airline. The cargo hold is / was pressurised and air conditioned and

she sufferred no apparent harm apart from looking totally confused when

going round the baggage carousel, particularly as we were looking on

the other carousel where the main bags were.

A normal modern non stop flight should be ok  IMHO as most single

journeys are less than 8 hrs. I have no idea of the current vet regs

etc.

Regards

I once drove a yowling cat from Stafford to Reading, it was dreadful and the memory lingers more than 10 years later. If your cat was enraging other fare paying passengers, what could you do ?

I would be inclined to save everyones sanity and let the cat yowl or sleep in the cargo hold.

I'm not sure about cats, but I was told categorically (sorry about that) NOT to sedate our dog for the plane trip from L.A.  Apparently the sedative effects at altitude are not the same as on the ground and this can be life threatening.

Maggie, weighing 23 kg, had no choice but to fly cargo.  I'm sure she was terrified but she came out of it with no problems.  We did make sure we had a non-stop flight though, to minimize risks of them losing her.

PG

Maybe not so great a distance, but I've flown with our cat on the Heathrow/Aberdeen route twice this year, with both BMI and BA. The airlines do it all the time and are very good. In the UK you can buy IATA/RSPCA approved boxes in most pet shops. The box has to be big enough for the animal to stand up in and to turn around in. I stopped feeding the cat the night before and she voided herself each time on the car trip to the airport.

The secret has been not to give her too much attention in transit, other than in the busy airport terminal. She stayed under cover in the back of the car and slept most of the way (3 1/2 hours). The aircraft holds are pressurised, heated and kept dark, so by all accounts all the pets do is sleep.

Do not sedate the animal. It won't be allowed to fly.

A few years ago I was considering flying some distance with my dog and made loads of enquiries and was told the same as Kevinmc. The airlines do not like animals to be sedated – in part because, if the animal is sedated, it is harder for them to tell if the animal is well or suffering some major problems requiring attention.

Ian

Sorry - not long distance flights, but UK down to Montpellier when we moved down here 18 mths ago.

We consigned our two16 year olds to a professional carrier prior to the house packing process. Five days in the cattery, then 'club class' (the aircraft hold actually) down here, and picked up by us from the cargo area on arrival. Cost a bomb, but better for us and them. Best way.

Cats v p***ed off on arrival, but like all cats, they didn't bear a grudge for more than about 6 months! Still going strong.

We are taking our 3 cats to SW France at the end of this summer & I would strongly advise having them taken by a professional pet moving company.  We were recommended www.animalcouriers.com & they have been more than helpful.  They can fly, sail or drive (in air-conditioned vans) your cats from door to door. 

It can be expensive (we have an additional flight from Belfast & it's costing us about £900 for all 3) - but I would pay anything to know they will be really well looked after & that I won't have to watch or listen to them, incase they get stressed.  I'd probably be more stressed than them!!  Good luck.

If you're transporting the cats by air, which is by far the quickest (and in my experience the least stressful, having also driven this cat some distance), the only bit that's different between the professional and me is the drive at either end. The airline handles everything in between - and they're professionals too - and charges £30 per cat (might be a bit more for a multi stage flight). So with three cats at £30 a pop, you're paying a 1000 % premium.