Fleas

Suninfrance

Every cat and dog gets them, every home with a pet normally suffers from these little blighters.  This year with my own two cats who were frontlined, and 1 adult ferral with her 3 kittens, I now find myself in the embarrassing situation of a flea infestation.  I'm in the process of washing just about everything in sight and will be hoovering the bed shortly.  I've sprinkled flea powder on the settees and rugs, but has anyone else had this problem and do you have any ideas/suggestions on how to "nuke" the little nippers.

Heeeeeeelp !!!!!!!!! [:$]

Our King Charles has had felas non stop. We took him to the vets as Frontline just wasn't working he gave us Programme and Capstar, cost us 100 euros....guess what he is still got them! The vets say it is a very bad year for them. My poor dog is eating himself to pieces. We have also done the house, done it again and and for good measure done it again! Getting close to shaving all his fur off!! What fur he hasn't bitten off!

My ankles look like moon craters with all the bites I've had in the last couple of days but they just don't seem to be affecting my domestic cats although I know the white one has them.  Unfortunately his fur is so thick it's difficult to grab hold of them and finding a piece of bare skin to frontline him is almost impossible.

Off to hoover the furniture now.

BTW Christine Animal, thank you for the link - I'll get hold of one of those fogger things as soon as OH has given up his battle with the ivy on the far wall and the shops re-open.

Jan

We had an infestation the other Autumn just before the inlaws were due to visit! We got some canisters of a fumigant from the local Weldoms. You set it off in a room and vacate for a couple of hours. Worked a treat. Probably the sort of thing the English pest control people use but here you can do it yourself.

Hello, this is my first posting so I hope I can be of some help.  I've struggled with fleas, ticks and august mites for years [+o(], I bear the scars as well!!  Frontline is OK but you have to keep at it, I  have used scalibor collars on my dogs for the the past 2 summers, total freedom!!  They last 5 or 6 months, are pricey and you have to rummage around the thick coated dogs to make sure the collars sit well on the skin or at least close to it; but they work[:D].

http://www.intervet.co.uk/Products_Public/Scalibor_Collar/010_Overview.asp

hope this helps

We have been overrun with them too - the pharmacist said it's a bad year for them (phew).  We've had pets for 15 years and never before have I found them jumping on my legs as I enter a room!!  We've had lots of guests over this summer and I've spent a fortune on sprays to kill the little blighters...  I bumped into a lady the other day (on the next table to me a lunch) and she mentioned she used something called 'Antic'.  The lady was German and she said she bought it there, but I can't find anything resembling that name anywhere here - has anyone else heard of it??  She said it was brilliant.

If using Frontline, check which "variant" you are using. I use the standard version as it's cheaper and I don't (at the moment) have any problems with fleas. Ticks are the issue and thus mine are treated monthly which probably helps keep the fleas away.

However, I believe the Frontline Combo is more effective against fleas (and is a little more expensive). The "Combo variant is as per Frontline (normal) but also stops fleas eggs/larvae/pupae - thus is much more effective at keeping fleas out of your home. I cannot recommend it from experience - just repeat what Merial's info says. However, if only using standard Frontline that might be why you are finding it less effective (particularly this year).

Ian

mickey jim commented (about K9 Advantix): "I'll try and seek some out..."

If your pet(s) is/are cats then do not use K9 Advantix as it is highly toxic for cats. It is for dogs only (hence the K9 bit in the name).. The toxic component is actually the anti-tick stuff that's added.

Ian

There is one for cats but its got a different name and is not the same (i.e. does not contain the same chemicals (obviously) and thus is not effective against the same range of bugs. I think its called Advantage (but I don't have cats so I'd check with e.g. your vet - a lot of vets sell the Advantix/Advantage products as well as the Merial ones).

Ian

Having spent the whole day cleaning and washing I have not had a flea attack my legs since I finished hooving the flea powder off the furniture.

I have been to our local Co-op Agricole and picked up a couple of sprays and a "fogger" or fumigater which is supposed to kill off the larvae too.  I shall be using that on Friday night as we are off to a local lake for a spot of fishing.  As the cats seem to like being outside at night at the moment because of the temperature, I reckon if I set it off before we go, hopefully the house will be flea free when I get back.  I'll let you know how I get on.

I can't remember the name of the spray, but you can use it on textiles and I will e-mail the name of it when it's safe to put the PC back on.  There's a bit of thunder rumbling around at the mo, and having lost 2 modems, 2 phones, a printer and screen I need to unplug.

Speak to you soon, and thanks for your help.

Jan

Before I left the UK my own vet there had changed from recommending Frontline as a matter of course, to Advantix.  He was adamant (and he was a mate so I don't think this was a push from the pharmacutical company) that it was better.  Have used it ever since and the flee problem has improved.

Whilst we're on the subject of fleas, has anyone ever heard people complaining of parquet fleas in France?

I'd never heard of them before, bit I have a couple of french freinds who both swear that their house is infested with parquet fleas, and are suffering from flea bites.  I asked if these were different to the usual cat/dog variety, and they said yes, these are different.

Call me a doubting Thomas if you will, but it seems more than coincidental that both of these people are also cat-owners.

Yes, I've heard that too Cat, probably because the fleas and the larvae are hidden between the cracks in the parquet, as in carpets, etc.  In this link it seems to say that they are the same fleas as on the cats and dogs.  It also says that the worst time is the end of Summer with the necessary amount of heat and damp, which probably explains why so many people are complaining now :

http://www.penntybio.com/insectes/puce-de-parquet.html

Another question, Circus Fleas, I was told they are a different kind, much bigger, but is it really true?