My dog died today

Dianes

Our beloved dog, Eddie is gone, and I'm distraught.  We had him for 6 years.  We got him from Battersea.  He was special, the only dog we have had as a family.   Last year he was fantastic when I had cancer, and a reason for me to get out and about, which I'm sure aided my recovery.  Almost immediately my chemo was finished, he was diagnosed with bone cancer and had one of his back legs amputated.  He too had to have chemo, but he had a new lease of life, and he was just as he always was, full of the joys, etc.  He has had two trips to France in the last six months, and could swim in the sea just as well as before.

A couple of days ago he was frolicking in the woods as normal, but yesterday he seemed unwell, and we discovered a new lump on his stump.  We took him to the vets this morning and they did x rays which confirmed the cancer was back.  They didn't wake him back up.

I can't believe he is gone.   We are going to miss him so much.

Sorry to ramble on, but I don't know what to do with myself.  I've just been wandering around the house, putting away his balls, folding up his rugs, etc.  I had to put pen to paper ( fingers to keyboard!) to do something.

Diane

Oh Dianes, my heart goes out to you.  Many of us on here know what you are going through.  There is not much we can say to help, but to talk about it can maybe help to ease the pain a little.

I'll tell you a story.  I recently rehomed an eight year old Brittany Spaniel who had greatly suffered in life before we had her.  She was adopted by a ninety-four year old lady, I call her "Madame Courage", as she had lost her beloved and only companion just a few days before.  Her dog was of German Shepherd size and could no longer hardly walk as she was at the end of her life, but the vet told me that this incredible old lady was dragging her out into the garden and back in again on a rug, taking care of her dear friend till the end.  I posted her photo somewhere under two kittens needing homes.  I don't really know why I tell you about that, maybe just to show that they are so important to us, a member of the family, and I understand.

Ramble on whenever you feel like it Dianes,

lots of love, Christine xxx

Diane, honestly the pain will pass. You probably feel at the minute that it never will but believe me it does.I lost my dog a couple of years ago, she was my life. The first few weeks after her death I cried and cried but things did get better and now I have some lovely memories.It sounds as though he had a fantastic time in France swimming in the sea and exploring the woods.

Thinking of You

Diane, you have all our sympathy on your loss.  Do ramble on if it makes you feel better.  We get to have wakes and sit shivva for our human family members, but we are expected to just "get on with things" when we lose a beloved fur-baby.

We'll keep you in our thoughts.

Hugs,

PG

Diane, I am so sorry to hear about your news and know too well the heartache you are feeling. We went through something very similar four months ago with our beloved dog. We had to make a decision to have him put down within a matter of a day of learning he had an aggressive bone cancer at the age of (we thought healthy) eight after breaking his leg. I know some people will not understand how someone can feel grief about losing a dog and feel you have lost a member of the family. But I do.

I know that there really isn't anything anyone can say that will make you feel better at the moment. But just know you gave him a good life and wonderful loving home. As we all know there are many, particularly here in France that have short lives with no one to care about them at all. He was a very lucky dog to have had someone special and kind as you to love him as he did.

So sorry Diane I like the others who have gone through this feel for you. We lost our dog nearly 5 years ago he was aged 13 .He'd been with us since before we got married and came to our wedding. We loved him dearly and still miss him very much but can only remenber the good times we had with him now. We now have 2 other dogs one whoes back legs are going on him so we know soon we will have to make the decision, but up to them we are doing all his favorate things that make him happy like taking him to the beach and letting him have as many of his fave chews as he likes. when he goes he will go happy as it sounds like Eddie did. I know its hard but it gets better, we found it healed better once we rehomed our next dog who was domed to a sad life in kennels. Dont think of it as replacing ,your not your just finding a new friend. who will give you so much happyness when you realise how happy you will make him. Remenber the good times Good Luck to you xx          

Thank you all so much for your kind thoughts.  I know it is something many of you have been through.  It's just awful isn't it?

In my heart I know the pain will ease.  And I feel lucky we had him, and I feel sure he felt lucky to have us, after the terrible start he had in life.  We are going to scatter his ashes on one of his favourite walks on the common.

We will get another dog eventually, but I know there will never be another Eddie.

Thank you all again,

Diane

Dear Diane you would have seen from this forum that you have friends that you will never see and will never meet.  Those friends are also animal lovers and we all as friends send your our love and best wishes coupled of course with a sense of sadness.

I now live in France and for most if not all of my adult life I have loved Bassets and I have had loads I just love their approach and they have been my best friends.  Within a month of each other I lost my very best pals Ben and Minnie (as in Mrs Minerva and which was her pedigree registered name).  They saw me through some very dark times and we used to walk over Chepstow Racecourse together and when my then marriage was breaking up  We talked all the time or should I say I talked and they listened.  Then I was faced with two decisions within weeks and it took something to get through it but they looked up to me to make the decisions on their behalf.  They lived to be sixteen and seventeen years of age. I have never forgotten them and never will and today there is a new young man called Jean Claude what else and he rules the roost.  Then there is Ellie who we rescued and from a very sad and dangerous owner and then Bridie our love and a Staffie who would die for us.  And equally and very much in my memory Thomas my cat who left us last week.  Then again another recent rescue in France but that is another story for another time.

This might not help for the pain is something that is personal.  But what I say it does go away but I have memories of my animals and the fun and love they gave us.  They too would have memories and I would just like to say it does get better but you will never forget the wonderful times and nor should you.

with my kindest regards

I'm sure you have seen this but it alwasy makes me cry and smile when I read it:

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge. When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food and water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who have been ill and old are restored to health and vigour; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing - they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind. They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent, his eager body begins to quiver. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carry him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face, your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart. Then together you and your special pet cross the Rainbow Bridge.

Author Unknown

Lots of us who have loved and lost our furbabies know how you are feeling now. My Sophie is right there waiting to keep your loved one company...until you meet again.

Run free Eddie....

Oh how we feel for you ,as ten days before we sailed to France for our new life ,our fit, strong healthy Boxer dog died in kennels suddenly. He was only six years old and we were away saying farewell to family so we were not even with him at the end. He had his passport and was going to be a big part of our new life. The pain does eventually ease and the lovely memories come to the fore but life will always have that little space that they occupy. We also have a very old cocker spaniel who was with him for most of his life as he was a rescue dog and was just over one year old when he adopted us...yes he took over ! We  have photo's of him in our French home so he is with us. We are thinking of you and we know that it will get slowly better and you will be able to talk about him without wanting to burst into tears. If you feel like "talking" lots of us are here for you.

I have to thank everyone again for posting on here and the personal messages I've received.  You have been such a support.

The house seems so empty today.  We're going over to France for a few days this week, with friends, and I think that will help.

Yesterday my husband said we will get another dog next year.  Today we are saying we will start looking in a couple of weeks.  We hate being dog-less.  No other dog will replace our Ed, but we will love him in a different way.

I know lots of you have been through this.  Other pet owners understand.  I know we will come out the other end.  Eddie will live on in our memories.

Thanks again to you all,

Diane

Diane, I understand the "emptiness" of the house.  We were in the same boat when our dear Taffy-Jerome died at the age of 19.  We worked at home and couldn't bear to be there without a dog.  This is something I wrote after he went to the Bridge and we were lucky enough to find Diva Maggie to come to live with us.

I bet if you have your eyes open, you will find another companion who really needs you.  Taking in another furry friend is the best memorial you can have for Eddie.

PG

Dear Diane

I am so sorry to hear of the sad loss of your pal. It is an awful, awful time when we lose them, but please remember you gave him a happy, contented and full life, help and support when he needed it (as he did with you) and let him go peacefully when you felt the time was right.

I am sure you feel so bereft now, but I truly hope you will feel better in time.

Take care.

Pauline

• 3 weeks later...

We lost our cat this week so can understand how it feels to lose a pet.

Tiggy was real country cat  born and bred. She lived in the country and would only come in to eat, if it rained or it was really, really cold! If we tried to keep her in she caused havoc.

Despite her being very standoffish and prefering to be out doing her own thing (what I dare not ask!) she was very much a part of the family and I swear I hear her calling.

My thoughts are with everyone who has lost a pet.

Coral

Dear Dianne,I have really cried reading your post, like others on the forum, I so know what you are going through,I nursed my cat for nine months with a tumour two years ago, I felt so cheated as she was only four, I knew we were on borrowed time and it has got to be the worst nine months of my life,I was bereft when we had to make the decision to put her to sleep, I know she did not want to go on, you always know.I felt so depressed and went out to France for the summer in the hope I might cheer up a bit.When I returned in September, I was still very down,even thought I saw her on the stairs one night.My good friend said you cannot live without an animal in your house and she was right, a farm near us had some semi wild kittens, she persuaded me to have a look and ofcourse I came home with one.Well it was just the tonic I needed, she was such a challenge as she needed taming.Whilst she will never replace Molly,getting up in the morning now has some purpose,(I know people will think this is totally over the top, but you cannot help the way you are) She has been a joy , she came to France with us this summer and loved it, she was no trouble and I really had reservations about it.What I am really trying to say , is give yourself some time and start again, its having something to look after and to give a good home to a needy animal is one of the most rewarding things you can do.Well it certainly worked out for me.Take care we are all thinking about you.

You have all our sympathies. On tuesday evening I went to Toulouse airport to collect my wife, leaving at home a bouncy labrador who was not yet 4 years old. When we returned, he did not come out to greet us as usual and we started to search for him. I found him a couple of minutes later lying dead under a tree. The shock has been huge and we were distraught. Having spoken to our vet, it is likely that he was bitten by an adder on his tongue and this would have been fatal (his tongue was dark and swollen with a couple of drops of blood in his mouth).

We had decided to get another dog to succeed him when on thursday night we had a phone call from our neighbour's sister saying that a couple of weeks earlier as a favour to a friend they had taken in an eleven month old labrador whose previous owner, an elderly gentleman, had been unable to cope with such a young and energetic dog. They, in their turn, were not able to look after the dog as they would wish as they were out all day working and asked if we would like to have him. On saturday he arrived - a beautiful dog and hopefully a worthy successor. The old adage of every cloud having a silver lining has come true again.

Best wishes

Jan Laury

Jan, I am so sorry to hear about your dog, what an absolute horrific shock it must have been for you. I have never heard of anything like this happening before. It is a warning to other pet owners and I for one will now try to look up information on adders because we do have snakes here but don't know what an adder looks like.

I am so sorry again and wish you all the best with your new puppy. He sounds as if he was meant to be with you.