White goods...

Hello,

We have bought a house in France which completes in mid-September. It is highly likely that we will need to buy a washing machine and a gas oven either before we go or shortly after arrival.

Does anyone have any views on whether it is cheaper/more practical to buy white goods in France or the UK?

Also, the house that we have bought has mains gas... This will mean we will have to get somebody in to connect up our gas oven - does anyone have any experience of this?

Thanks - all replies appreciated...

Alistair & Emma-Jane Lockhart

>
>Does anyone have any views on
>whether it is cheaper/more practical
>to buy white goods in
>France or the UK?

This has been done to death, but;

Buy French, because;

a) A Washer will work e.g. - because French WM's use cold fill only & and a gas oven is more "normal" over here; Kettles draw less current because of the limitations of French electric supplies; Likewise toasters; etc. etc.

b) You will get an enforceable guarantee.

c) This is France & it is beholden upon you to spend your money here.

>
>Also, the house that we have
>bought has mains gas...
>This will mean we will
>have to get somebody in
>to connect up our gas
>oven - does anyone have
>any experience of this?
>

Mains gas is actually quite rare here, so you are lucky. The rules are not as strict as the UK, but unless you get a qualified Artisan to connect your gas you are unlikely to get paid out by your insurance in the unlikely event of a problem - an explosion for example!

Nick
http://www.aplaceinfrance.com

So far I've bought (at different times) dishwasher, gas range type cooker and fridge freezer from Geant (Angouleme). I always look when there are promos on and got the dishwasher and f/f each reduced by 200 euros!

Delivery is free and includes installation and changing of gas jets (if necessary) on cookers.

However, if you have no Geant handy, you can always try http://www.mistergooddeal.fr You can compare prices and order direct from them.

regards......helen

Two points I don't think have been mentioned so far. French white goods AFAIK always come with a 2 year guarantee (I've nearly always bought in Geant and that is the case there). Wherever you buy your gas appliances they are sure to know someone who will install for you, so ask when you purchase (or even before).

Liz (29)

• 2 weeks later...

As we are about to be connected to electricity after 10 years on solar and generator power, I have been looking at white goods all over the place and prices do vary.  We went to Darty saw a fridge and freezer that connect together and thought the deal was good, then went into Carrefour to find we could save 200 euros.  We are still looking, BUT are quite competitive but Geant seem to undercut them.  I did my research on the internet as we are a long way from the shops, www.but.fr   www.darty.fr    are useful for making price comparaisons as is, www.conforama.fr .

If you are in the Narbonne (11) area there is an outlet store, on the road in to Narbonne from the Lezignan direction, called Banzai !  Just past the France Telecom building on the right. They advertise in the free papers you can pick up at the superstores, their prices seem even cheaper but they did not have what we wanted, although they said stock changes rapidly and we should pass by again.  If anyone knows of any other outlets I would also like to know.  Happy hunting....

[quote]. > >Does anyone have any views on >whether it is cheaper/more practical >to buy white goods in >France or the UK? This has been done to death, but; Buy French, because; a) A Washer will work ...[/quote]

Nick,

c) This is France & it is beholden upon you to spend your money here.

Just because you live in France you are not obliged to buy french if it's more expensive. I have bought plenty of useful things over the internet on ebay from USA or Canada. Why restrict oneself because of where you live. Yes I do always try to support local economy but in this day and age we live in a global market. That said, I don't recall the last thing I bought in the UK.

[quote]Nick, c) This is France & it is beholden upon you to spend your money here. Just because you live in France you are not obliged to buy french if it's more expensive. I have bought plenty of u...[/quote]

I don't think that is what I was suggesting. However, if you live in a (foreign) country, it is your responsibility to bring "new" money into that country. What else have you to offer?

The sad fact is that most white (or any other goods) are not made here (or the UK, or most places in Europe), so your money mostly lines the pockets of Americans or Chinese. As a trading entity, the EU is a dismal mess, but I can;t be ****d to go into that, it's too late...

OK, buy European! Shall we compromise at that?

We bought our white goods in France, mostly because we were setting up a holiday home, so had no redundant stuff from England, but also because it was so much easier than traipsing it across. I guess that wouldn't be such a problem with a removal van, but with smaller transport it could be an issue. We ended up with very similar items - some cheaper than the UK - which work fine, and have proper guarantees. Not that I can find them, of course...

Where we have bought many duplicates is in power tools, partly because of buying toys, but also because if you need it in England you are likely to need it in France.

[quote]I'll have you know that photo was taken less than 6 months ago! And surely Dick, you used to be ........ Steven Spielberg?[/quote]

More like Jeremy Beadle!!

I prefer the more recent photo of the older Dick.

Anyway with regard to white goods, I do find them to be cheaper here in France and yes I couldn't agree with Nick more that it is important to bring money to our adopted homeland. But as to what else do I offer well there are those hefty taxes and cotisations for starters.

Don't get me wrong I'm not complaining and that is another subject well discussed previously.

Do you find French appliances very noisy compared to UK ones?

Not sure about that one Dick.

How does one do the comparison? I guess because you see both sides, perhaps you can become the forums resident expert decibel inspector. (FREDI for short)

Come to think of it, I think most appliances now come with a decibel measurement on the blurb about the machine.

Well I was very impressed at Conforama, Angouleme on Monday where I was buying a TV. OK there was a long queue where you go to collect stuff... but there I spotted a bargain on display, a washing machine (reduced to 149 euros because of a small mark on the front).

They quickly arranged for me to have a huge van on FREE loan that very afternoon! Fuel was included, I just paid a deposit. Only snag is that there is no warranty.

(Formerly known as val_b)

We can't decide if the fridge and the washing machine are much noisier than our UK ones, or if it is the comparative peace and quiet of rural Normandy that they are contrasted against. Mind you, when we used to use bottled water in the kettle it was much noisier than the town water we use now.

I'll get my coat...

Hi

We're too far away to consider buying in UK.

However I've been amazed how low prices are in the sales at major outlets.

I have a set route - Auchan, Leclerc, MDA, Carrefour, Boulanger, Geant. My local Gitem doesn't stock any cheap stuff .......... they tell me it's all crap ! But if you are buying in quantity, then it makes sense to hunt around.

I've bought at Auchan, Geant, Leclerc but only during the sales period. I buy in advance of requirements. Of course I couldn't get a car in my garage.

If you spend more than ??? Euro, they will normally deliver free and that is important to me. Have you ever tried to carry a washing m/c up 3 floors of a circular medieval staircase with the help of a 48kg wife ?

I recently bought an "encastrable" oven for an appartment. Amazingly it was Euro 120 at Geant. Euro 299 gets you super high temp self cleaning, but my experience is tenants don't clean ovens anyway !

Other sales prices : Washing machines Euro 129, 4 X electric hobs Euro 108, small fridges Euro 129, extractors Euro 35.

Many of these items are Haier, made in china.

Worth a look ?

Peter

[quote]White goods are super I have many white goods some young and tres nubile, some now sadly getting older. They are mixed with my black goods of similar appearance and experience.Sheik Ali Ben Farhouk. 1...[/quote]

This is one of those replies that is destained to go above most the "heads" of the Forum members and will more then likely make "Nick" cry even more.

Hey Dick. I see that you have been promoted.

Depends on what you are buying as to how cheap it is here as opposed to the UK. I have found far cheaper things in the UK than here recently.

Personally I would give Confo a very wide berth. I bought my last cooker from them and when there was a problem their guarantee would not work. I even contacted the cooker's manufacturers head office and they said it should work, but Confo just would not go with it.

Over the years I have never had any problem with Darty or Carrefour if there has been a problem with something, their guarantees have worked.

I've only ever had cold fill washing machines (Ireland & UK).  However I've been looking at the spec for some french ones.  Do ANY of them have a decent spin cycle?  Mine at home has a 10kg drum and a 1200 spin.  I'm not too worried about load size, although the larger the better but I can't find many with a spin above 600, one or two with 800. We've used these on holidays and the clothes come out still dripping. 

Or is it possible to buy a spin dryer in France. 

Dublin Annie

Washing machines are available in France with higher spin speeds (upto 1600 rpm) but their load size still leaves a lot to be desired.
I have also noticed that the higher the spin speed the higher the cost of the machine.

Spin driers or seche-linges are also available as separate devices.

To give you an idea have a look here http://www.darty.com select the tab marked "Electromenager" and then the first one in the drop down list.

David