Changing dog's name

woolybanana

Dogs names are like the UK number plates.  Each year there is a letter and the year the dog is born determines the first letter of their name.  However, you can do a "fiddle" and e.g. if you want to call your dog Rover in a V year you officially name him V'Rover.

Fortunately the legislation only seems to determine what is written on the dog's paperwork and I have not yet heard of anybody having difficulties with officials when shouting names at their dog that do not match the paperwork.  My French dog has an official "lettered" name yet is never referred to by that name except when entering or leaving France (and entering agility/flyball competitions).

In summary, what you shout and what is written on the paperwork can (in practice) differ.

Ian

I think the first port of call with this one is to have a serious word with your dog. Involve it in the decision and you'll find things will run smoothly after that.

In practise you don't want to get caught out by the DEFRA man if your dog decides to ignore the one on his passport and only respond to his new name, do you?  [6]

But my dog (female) was born in France and I just made up the name I wanted and gave it to her.   Then told the vet the name and he put it in the passport !!   Is it just dogs which come from breeders which have to abide by the dog-naming rules, or is someone joking here and I have fallen for it (hook line and sinker!)???

[quote user="londoneye"]But my dog (female) was born in France and I just made up the name I wanted and gave it to her.   Then told the vet the name and he put it in the passport !!   Is it just dogs which come from breeders which have to abide by the dog-naming rules, or is someone joking here and I have fallen for it (hook line and sinker!)???[/quote]

In my experience vets in France do not see their role as implementing rules and procedures.  Another example is the registration of British dogs becoming resident in France.  Vets do not seem too keen (or even vary aware in many cases) of the need to register the dog and do not see it as "their job".

With regard to the name on the passport - it is unlikely to cause problems but in practice should match the name the dog is registered with (i.e. the names registered against the chip/tattoo).  Even if not the same it is unlikely to be checked.  If they did try to check you could just deny having the registration papers with you (as they are not required to travel) so they would have to go to the registration database - which they probably have no access to or no idea how to do it.

Ian

When I took my 2 pups to the vet, (on my way home from collecting them), I asked him about naming them, he told me that as they were not pedigree I did not have to use the year letter I could call them what I wanted.  I don't think any of the people I know who have non pedigree dogs have stuck to the year/letter naming.

Sylvia

The naming traditions are just for pedigree dogs, although I know french people who have adopted this practice for cross-breeds.  It is correct that there is one letter assigned to each year, and last year was a 'C' year.  When we got our springer pup a few months ago, we called him Chablis because we wanted to fit in with this tradition.  Really I wanted to call him Fig (as in figgy pudding, being the size of said) but Chablis now really suits him.  Funny how they grow into their names isn't it?

We later found that there is a list up on the wall in the vets and his name was on it (fortunately in the boy's name list!).  I also got a calendar free with a dog magazine which was fully of suggested 'C' names.  However in reality, you can call your dog whatever you want to.  I had heard that there used to be an 'official' list of names that had be used for children although I understand that this has now been relaxed considerably.  Saves having to be called 'heavenly hirani tiger lily' though, which has got to be a boon.