bad behaviour from my 4 year old springer spaniel.

glacier1

Ok, he's loveable, but!!!! and there's a big but!  He ALWAYS moans in the car (maim, miam, miam, miam yawn, miam) like that, I'm having to constantly tell him to get down, which he does after the 3rd shout (god knows why!).  He stresses everybody in the car, and I can't let him get away with it. 

When there's people in the house, in the garden aswell, he wants to be the center of attention, look at me is the theme of the day!  He puts his body in the way of everybody wiggling and smiling (yes he smiles, abeit gummy), it's ok for people who likes dogs, but for those who don't, what do you do? (more shouting!)

He demands for stuff, loud yawns until we walk him, he's bored, he wants to go out, it seems as if he's in control but I can assure you I try my best (not good enough, I know!) to control his strong personality. 

I was wondering if anybody has any advise on how to control his personality?  Or is it just his breed?  He's made for the hunt. 

Anybody else with similar experiences??????

My sister has a 4 year old springer spaniel and you may as well have been describing him as he is exactly like yours, he even smiles.  He demands attention 24 hours a day which is very tiring for everybody.  I don't have any advice for you as I don't know what the answer is to the problem except this breed is a working dog and that's what they should be used for!

You need to watch Ceaser Millan on Sky 3 in the evening. He is the most wonderful dog behaviourist I have ever seen.

Most dog problems arise from them not having a strong pack leader and enough exercise for their brain to become settled, his motto is : exercise, discipline, affection in that order.

We have found his advice very useful with our two small dogs (both girls), one was very dominant and the other quite shy and used to pee when she greeted people, we have totally changed both dogs and our treatment of them, they know their place within our household (which sound quite hard but it isn't) and that has made them much more enjoyable dogs

Thanks a lot, wanted to reply earlier, had a problem posting replies as the page wouldn't refresh! grrrrr......anyway, I will put a link on this Ceaser Millan guy on Sky3 thanks, I have Sky+ so I can record.  What day is he on? 

It's true that exersise is the key, but living a busy life means that an hours walk is ok lunch time, morning is just a 10 min walk, and evening the same.  He's snoring away now as I speak to you, wish he was like this more often! loool.  Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my dogs, I think they are wonderful and wouldn't give them up for anything, I have tried to put the spooks into him and make me the pack leader, I do this when he doesn't listen to me by calling him back to me (he crawls back sortof), I grab him by the skin above the neck, and lower him to the ground, and make him go on his back, I talk loudly to him still holding it down, it shows that I'm stronger than he is, and he's hopeless in my hands, it works!  I am not really angry with him, more play-acting.  I found this worked for him to show I'm boss.  The Jack, well, she's 18, she bosses him around, it's funny to watch, will post pictures if I knew how to!

Thanks for your replies, much appreicated![:D]

Good luck.

One lived with us for 15 years he was a rescue dog and the reason I said we would never offer houseroom to another pedigree.

Bengo was a hero to all that met him - a legend.

He became known as Bengo the B8str*d. He was impossible to control and it wasn't fair to attempt to. So inbred and so strong he could run straight through bramble bushes.

Excersise was nothing to him a regular day was a 10 mile walk 3 hours swimming after ducks, he would then run alongside as I had a bicycle ride for 12 miles and he still wanted more.

He once came across some coots that dived when he saw them - he did not like getting water in his ears- , but - he saw the coots dive right there and so they were there. He spent nearly an hour diving for them while the coots sat at the riverside seemingly laughing at him.

The rowing club liked him as he could swim fast enough to keep up with them. He never ever gave up. It became very dangerous in the car as if he saw a pheasant he would throw himself at the window - whichever as he broke all barriers. In the end the only way he was happy and relaxed was to put him in the boot of a car - if he did'nt see quarry he just went to sleep.

This resulted in some interesting and quite natural encounters with people that saw me put him in the boot.

He was nuts. If another dog came up he ignored them. When they sniffed he would turn and bite them above the shoulders. Needless to say it was difficult and we had to keep him away from other dogs.

Major love was rolling in the rotting remains of long dead animals.

I forgot if he had a few spare minutes he would dig - really dig he could excavate a  5 foot hole in 10 minutes.

In the deepest empty countryside far away from any other animal his hobby was jumping of bridges. I have no idea where he got the idea from.

He eventually got varicose veins in his ears from bashing them and the vet treated them and sewed buttons all over his ears to constrict the veins I guess.

This was very embarassing as most people thought we had assessorized him.

He then got bening growths on his back - cost a fortune to have them removed - they were very unsightly - but it didn't bother him. But they just kept returning.

He passed away on a memorable day at nearly sixteen and still totally nuts.

If you want I will describe his last walk. Dinner is ready do not have time now.

Nobody forgot Bengo once they had met him... I still have his pedigree certificate - the people that bred him should be imprisoned.

Good Luck.....

[quote user="glacier1"]......anyway, I will put a link on this Ceaser Millan guy on Sky3 thanks, I have Sky+ so I can record.  What day is he on? 

[/quote]

The program is called 'The dog whisperer' it is on nearly every night sometime two at a time around 7-8. I can only watch when we are in France because we dont have sky here only freeview, it is on freeview as well but our signal is very poor so I can't count on seeing it myself

Good Luck

[quote user="Dog"]

Good luck.

One lived with us for 15 years he was a rescue dog and the reason I said we would never offer houseroom to another pedigree.

He became known as Bengo the B8str*d. He was impossible to control and it wasn't fair to attempt to. So inbred and so strong he could run straight through bramble bushes.

Excersise was nothing to him a regular day was a 10 mile walk 3 hours swimming after ducks, he would then run alongside as I had a bicycle ride for 12 miles and he still wanted more.

He once came across some coots that dived when he saw them - he did not like getting water in his ears- , but - he saw the coots dive right there and so they were there. He spent nearly an hour diving for them while the coots sat at the riverside seemingly laughing at him.

The rowing club liked him as he could swim fast enough to keep up with them. He never ever gave up. It became very dangerous in the car as if he saw a pheasant he would throw himself at the window - whichever as he broke all barriers. In the end the only way he was happy and relaxed was to put him in the boot of a car - if he did'nt see quarry he just went to sleep.

This resulted in some interesting and quite natural encounters with people that saw me put him in the boot.

He was nuts. If another dog came up he ignored them. When they sniffed he would turn and bite them above the shoulders. Needless to say it was difficult and we had to keep him away from other dogs.

I forgot if he had a few spare minutes he would dig - really dig he could excavate a  5 foot hole in 10 minutes.

In the deepest empty countryside far away from any other animal his hobby was jumping of bridges. I have no idea where he got the idea from.

He eventually got varicose veins in his ears from bashing them and the vet treated them and sewed buttons all over his ears to constrict the veins I guess.

He then got bening growths on his back - cost a fortune to have them removed - they were very unsightly - but it didn't bother him. But they just kept returning.

If you want I will describe his last walk. Dinner is ready do not have time now.

Nobody forgot Bengo once they had met him... I still have his pedigree certificate - the people that bred him should be imprisoned.

Good Luck.....

[/quote]

I was very touched by what you wrote about your Bengo, you still have such a strong connection with your dog, and I'm sure, by your words, the passing of a dog you loved this much is the same as a passing of a member of your close family.  I know I'd miss my animals should anything happen to them.

Rex, my Springer, did exactly the same as Bengo did, I do not know if you know of Llanberis lake in Snowdonia?  Anywayz, it's a lake carved out by a glacier during the last ice age, it's deep, and it's long.  Beautiful.  Well, he went for a walk along the path on the side of the lake, saw ducks, and before we knew it, he went in, head first, as per usual!  He swam and swam, no amount of calling could get him back, he must have swam for a good mile or so, he was a blip in the middle of the lake, still chasing ducks!  A tour boat changed corse to pick him up, it was full of tourists including several Japs who were filming rex swimming.  They managed to drag him on the boat.  And still we were calling!  Rex, come back!!!!!  He saw us from the boat, still a mile or so from shore, he tensed up, and he dived like in the movies, into the water, made the mile swim right back to where we were waiting for him!  All the time people were taking photos and filmig!  What a film star!  [:)]

[quote user="glacier1"][quote user="Dog"]

Good luck.

Good Luck.....

[/quote]

I was very touched by what you wrote about your Bengo, you still have such a strong connection with your dog, and I'm sure, by your words, the passing of a dog you loved this much is the same as a passing of a member of your close family.  I know I'd miss my animals should anything happen to them.

Rex, my Springer, did exactly the same as Bengo did, I do not know if you know of Llanberis lake in Snowdonia?  Anywayz, it's a lake carved out by a glacier during the last ice age, it's deep, and it's long.  Beautiful.  Well, he went for a walk along the path on the side of the lake, saw ducks, and before we knew it, he went in, head first, as per usual!  He swam and swam, no amount of calling could get him back, he must have swam for a good mile or so, he was a blip in the middle of the lake, still chasing ducks!  A tour boat changed corse to pick him up, it was full of tourists including several Japs who were filming rex swimming.  They managed to drag him on the boat.  And still we were calling!  Rex, come back!!!!!  He saw us from the boat, still a mile or so from shore, he tensed up, and he dived like in the movies, into the water, made the mile swim right back to where we were waiting for him!  All the time people were taking photos and filmig!  What a film star!  [:)]
[/quote]

Yes that's crazy springer behaviour. When I told my wife I was late down for dinner as I was writing a post to someone about a badly behaved springer and I had told them how nuts Bengo was. She wasn't too happy - she said I shouldn't have told them the truth that they never ever give up as they'd probably have the dog put down. So she'll be glad to know you appreciate your friend.

One of Bengos other favourite hobbies was attacking people that put things through the letterbox. We made sure he couldn't get to the postman but the paperboy was not so punctual. He liked the dog but everytime the dog would leap at him and he always went for the crutch region. I have no idea what the paperboys mum thought as Bengo ripped the crutch out of his trousers time and again.

If anyone was eating an apple he would stay absolutely still and stare at them until given the core. Even in crowded places - people would realise what he wanted.

Trendy vicar with rather beautiful young wife moved in opposite us. They had a white poodle. So did Bengo. One sunday morning we heard an infernal screaming only to find Bengo servicing the vicars poodle in the middle of the road. The poodle was quite vocal but the vicars wife was making even more noise. Quick thinking reverend threw a bucket of water over them, Bengo managed to lift his leg over his glovers back and attempted to scarper. Trouble was they were locked together, so he was dragging the poodle along behind him, the poodle was now making life threatening howls. Trendy vicar split up with his wife just after and she and the poodle departed - I can only hope she got the poor poodle the morning after pill.

After a minute or so they separated and Bengo collapsed he had sort of dislocated his hips. He lay panting for some time before he regained control and ran off on his next favourite occupation disrupting minor league football matches on the local common. He found it very amusing they didn't - but he was so quick they never got near him and he stole many balls. I did once try to stop him but I thought it safer in the end to deny that he lived in my house.

On his final walk in a public park one sunny morning - he was old, but still very strong, and if he decided to pull you somewhere you had no choice but to follow. Well he decided that he wanted to check out the gentleman on the park bench drinking special brew. So he dragged me over while he made friends and licked the empties and smelt the dossers crotch.

Meanwhile I am trying to avoid eye contact with the special brew drinker so looking into the near distance at a tree. It was then I realised and shortly after Bengo did to that there was a navvie doing what Bengo had done to the poodle with what I can only think was a lady of ill repute. Wether Bengo made the same association I don't know but he wanted to check out the action. The special brew drinker turned to see what the dog was now straining at. He burst out laughing. I nearly had a hernia trying to avoid being dragged closer to the action. Luckily the lovers were too engrossed to realise they now had an audience.

It may have been the excitement but later that day he had breathing difficulties so we took him to the vets. The vetinarian said he had a chest infection and it was nothing to worry about but they would keep him in overnight and to return in the morning for him. I returned and they said Mr Indestructable had passed away in the night. I couldn't beleive it - I managed to ask between tears what the bill was, but the sight of a full grown man crying over such a manky old dog reduced the receptionist to waive the cost.

If there is a dog heaven. I hate to think how he is behaving.

We have a cocker spaniel and I think it's spaniels in general who are demanding. We have had lots of dogs but this one is certainly the hardest.  She is constantly bothering people, jealous of other dogs and wants to run everywhere. She has broken five leads and is a complete law unto herself.  I have managed to train her to obey if she is within two feet but otherwise she shoots off like a canon.  Her favourite hobby is investigating other people's gardens.  She will dart off through hedges, even into people's houses if they are unfortunate enough to have the door open at the time.  It is really strange how she just thinks she can investigate everything.  But she really needs to run so I cannot have her on the lead constantly but she is so quick.  Certainly the hardest dog I have had to control ever! But beautiful.

How I laughed to read about your dogs.  I live in the country and got mine, Brandy, from a local gamekeeper.  Everyone said that he would be completely bonkers until he was about 4 years old.  Of course I just laughed because I have had many dogs, why should this one be so different.  But he was exactly that.  Sooo much energy, he could run all day.  He had a habit of finding carcasses and odd bones from the fields ( just for fun you undersand) and bringing them to you.  One must have been poisoned bait for foxes and he died a week later. He was just 5 and calming down into the most affectionate and lovely dog.  That was a long time ago, but he made tremendous inpact on everyone we still remember and wonder at his antics that could drive us mad.  So keep going if you can it's very much worth it in the end.

And here I am, too embarrassed to write about my little working cocker spaniel.

No, I didn't know one end of a dog from another but this one was abandoned by an owner who no longer wanted her and her Pedigree Cert says "Working Cocker Spaniel" and I am assured they are a breed that is related to but not actually exactly like a Cocker.  I couldn't bear that a pretty little dog like her would be without a home where she was loved.

She is also crackers, has tremendous energy.  OH lost nearly 3 stone when she first came to us at nearly 2 years old because she had to have so many walks a day.

She is strong and, although little, she weighs over 17 kilos.  We like to think it's mostly muscle!

She, too, has been known to swim after ducks and was also in the middle of a large lake, appearing like a speck in the distance.  I was terrified standing on the bank, in case she got tired and then OH would go in to rescue her and I would have 2 dreadfully smelly, wet, cold creatures in my car.

I have mentioned before on the forum about the occasion when she killed her first chicken and then her second so I won't repeat the story here as I was made to feel like some irresponsible scumbag who couldn't control her dog.  Well, in my defence, we were new to France (only a month) and didn't realise that free range chickens can be found even in the middle of a town, even in the grounds of a chateau open to the public, even left to roam around and not protected by fencing or coops.

Nowadays, every walk has to be recce'd before we'd take her.  We do put her on the lead but she can damn near tug your arm out of its socket if she sees anything she wants to chase.  And, by golly, can she run.  She can put on a burst of speed just like you can in a fast car:  0 to 60?  No probs.

Also like Bengo in that she doesn't like other dogs.  It would have been interesting if he'd tried to mount her.  She yelps and growls and bites and sits on her bottom, daring the other dog to go nearer.  Just as well we didn't want to breed her.  For a start, she'd never have stayed still enough to be impregnated.

She's such a character though.  Really sweet with humans and bright as a button.  She hasn't needed much training to follow simple instructions.  But, whenever anything moves, horses, wild boar, deer,whatever, NOTHING on earth and no amount of shouting would stop her.  Well, you could just about stop her BEFORE she takes off.  But, the moment she puts on that burst of speed and accelerates, she is like an aeroplane on take-off, no braking, no stopping, no turning round!

Now she's 5 and will be 6 in July.  She is so fierce and independent in so many ways but, if we went anywhere, we'd return to find her watching out for us from an upstairs window.  Whenever we've left her with the neighbours, they tell us she'd lead them back to our house and asks to be let in so that she can go to her watching post at the window.

In many ways, she is a nervous, anxious little thing.  Loves being in the car on country lanes where there are things to look at but, the moment we go on a motorway, she'd sit in the back of the car on the floor and hang her head. 

She'd stayed at hotels where the other guests wouldn't even know she was there.  She might beg for food at home but, in a restaurant or someone else's house, she'd sit under the table and you'd swear she's not even interested in the food.  She seems to sense occasions when she should be on her best behaviour.  If we had friends come whom she doesn't know, she'd never jump up on them, never tries to take the cake or biscuit or whatever out of their hands and she'd look demure and quite a little lady.  Ditto when she's in the mairie or bank or some such place.  Of course, we don't take her everywhere nowadays.  It's just that when we first came to France, the house and the country were new to her and she was so full of worry about everything that we didn't like her to be on her own.

Now, the garden is her domain.  If you came to my house, watch out for the holes!  You could break your neck treading too unwarily.  Like Bengo, she can dig for England.  She has exposed drainage pipes, dragged moles from their homes and brought back all manner of creatures that she's found.  She kills with incredible efficiency.  Seems to grab whatever by the neck and shakes them and that's it.

I am squeamish about harbouring such a ruthless killer in my home but when I see her of an evening, spread eagle on her back on our best settee, I haven't the heart to turf her out.

Dogs, I mean I'm not even a "dog person"............now, cats, those I truly adore.

My Springer is crossed with a Jack Russel, his name is Dunphy and he is 13 years old, I love him to bits ''BUT'' he has been a total hyperactive nightmare to live with all these years, but what a character! I will miss him when he's gone, but never again will I get another Springer!!!

Two more Bengo antics.

When we were living in a chapel named Alices Restaurant one ordinary day Bengo who liked his food and always wolfed it down, accidentally knocked his bowl under a work table so I went to reach down to pull it out into the open to let him get at it.

Bengo decided I was going to take his food away - his hard earned food - he'd been working hard all day as an international dog of danger and no one was gonna take his food away.

Before I knew it he had bit me in his favourite attack zone - the crutch - he skimmed my right hand side family jewel with his incisors and brought them together in the soft flesh at the top of your inner leg. The pain!!! I saw white and dropped to the floor like an italian footballer. Meanwhile Bengo finished his grub and without another look returned to the fireside. It bloomin hurt - I had to get the Mrs to kiss it better.

The next day someone asked why I was looking a bit perky I recalled the incident and they said they would have given the dog a good kicking if they were me. I said you are welcome to try but he'd  have your nuts on a tray before you landed a kick.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pleasant walk in the country park around the reservoir, Bengo slips the leash immediately finds a long dead rotting pike. Would he give it up. Luckily it fell apart within a few minutes. But the stink, even he was rolling his eyes and contorting his tongue.H estill managed to swallow some and looked green all day.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Same venue in winter Bengo does a runner onto the ice chasing ducks. Falls through and is in the freezing water treading water and attempting to pull himself onto the ice. The Mrs is screaming get him out and I am not looking forward to a sub zero swim.

After a search for something to throw to him it's been a few minutes and he was repeatedly trying to get out, the ice would break and  every time he'd slip back into and under the water. Not a pleasant sight. Each time he tried to get out he was expending a lot of energy and each slip back under the water was longer.

He must have been in for some minutes, I was starting to strip off to go in when on quivering legs he did a pushup onto the ice very very slowly and this time gently leant forward and collapsed slowly onto the ice, it held and he laid there panting for a minute or two steaming. Before gingerly making his way back to the bank.

Afterwards he was back to his usual crazy destructive self, he ripped the headlining out of the car on the way back home.

In his case he never slowed really stopped being an absolute B.

Mme Poivre, he isn't as bad as the antics these Springers are getting upto!!!!!!

One of our daughters has a parsons Jack Russell and he's as mad and as daft along the lines and antics of some of these dogs.

We picked Louis up from his previous owners as he was described as being too difficult for them, so I was half expecting a loony spaniel, but so far, (finds a nice piece of unchewed wood to touch quickly) he's been fantastic.

Dog - I've really enjoyed reading your posts.  As an owner of a (former) dog with learning difficulties, I can understand.

I rescued a dog via this Forum about 2 months' ago.  He is adorable.  The only thing is that he refuses, point blank, to come to me when called, even if it is for something exciting like food or "walkies".  He thinks that it's a game and he comes up close and then just runs away.  It's getting really difficult.  I've owned and looked after lots of dogs (I rescued, adopted and fostered for a rescue society) but this one will not even respond to a biscuit.  He only comes to me in his own time when he wants to.  It's making letting him off a lead impossible, for example, as I can't trust that he will come back.  I can't take him out sometimes because I can't 'catch' him (not that I run after him as I don't want him to think that it is a game).

Any ideas anyone?

[quote user="Cathy"]

Dog - I've really enjoyed reading your posts.  As an owner of a (former) dog with learning difficulties, I can understand.

I rescued a dog via this Forum about 2 months' ago.  He is adorable.  The only thing is that he refuses, point blank, to come to me when called, even if it is for something exciting like food or "walkies".  He thinks that it's a game and he comes up close and then just runs away.  It's getting really difficult.  I've owned and looked after lots of dogs (I rescued, adopted and fostered for a rescue society) but this one will not even respond to a biscuit.  He only comes to me in his own time when he wants to.  It's making letting him off a lead impossible, for example, as I can't trust that he will come back.  I can't take him out sometimes because I can't 'catch' him (not that I run after him as I don't want him to think that it is a game).

Any ideas anyone?

[/quote]

Sometimes there is nothing you can do. Give him time you never know. Perhaps let him off the lead and leave him. He may realise that you serve the food and come back. Trust him and he may trust you? If it was easy everyone could do it! Good luck.

[quote user="Cathy"]

Any ideas anyone?

[/quote]

Cathy, we are currently training our three-month old Boxer pup. For this aspect of training I have made up a long 10 metre lead. This is used to 'guide' him back to me, when he is reluctant, together with a small treat on return. It works fine and is hardly needed now after a few ten-minute sessions over a couple of weeks.

Good luck

Gary.

[quote user="Bugbear"][quote user="Cathy"]  [/quote]
Cathy, we are currently training our three-month old Boxer pup. For this aspect of training I have made up a long 10 metre lead. This is used to 'guide' him back to me, when he is reluctant, together with a small treat on return. It works fine and is hardly needed now after a few ten-minute sessions over a couple of weeks.
Good luck, Gary.  [/quote]

BB - that's an excellent idea.  I have a very long lead.  I could practise on the beach, which are deserted at the moment.

What sort of material did you use for your home made lead?

[quote user="Cathy"]

BB - that's an excellent idea.  I have a very long lead.  I could practise on the beach, which are deserted at the moment.

What sort of material did you use for your home made lead?

[/quote]

1" polypropylene webbing................I just happened to have a roll in the garage, left over from my sailing days. Its very soft and light.

Thanks BB.  I shall look out for some.  We have a yacht's chandlers not far from here.  Ordinary rope would get tangled easily and very wet - this looks ideal.

From Henri to Henri....

[IMG]http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd268/calexander1956/FromHenritoHenri.jpg[/IMG]