Stinky 'Whiskers' !!

chessie

Anyone else noticed this ?

We've been buying 'Whiskers' (guess [;-)]!!) cat food in sachets -  'Repas en Sauce' and 'Repas en Gelee' for quite some time in all the varieties - ie Dinde, Poulet, Boeuf, Canard etc etc.    But in the last few months the contents of these sachets of cat food just seem to have become more and more 'stinky'.

The cat food just doesn't smell very nice at all - it's not 'off' but just very pongey;  open a sachet and - no matter what the flavour is supposed to be - they are all extremely pungent and smell rather like a cow barn at the end of winter when the barn hasn't been cleared out for six months.

Anyone got any explanation for why these cat food sachets have this overwhelming pong?   The sachets aren't out of date, all have 'use by' dates well into 2011 - so that's not the problem.

The 'whiff' is so bad that it permeates through the house - I can smell this flippin' cat food everywhere.   The cat hasn't seemed bothered by the 'pong' - but we've noticed that in the last few days even he's not too keen - and tonight was the final straw when, having put some of this catfood out for him, he walked up to the bowl, sniffed - and then stalked away.   That's the first time he's done that - so maybe even he no longer likes the 'whiff'.

But that's it....we are NOT buying this brand of cat food any more - never again.   It's banned !!!

And I'll be writing to the makers to ask what the heck they've been adding to their catfood.  

But intrigued as to whether anyone else had noticed and was bothered by the 'pong' !!!

Chessie

I had to have my cat put down last week.  She had suffered a mild stroke which affected her back legs and she seemed not to know what was going on anymore.  She was a 21 year old 'Heinz' variety, with a good life behind her so we decided that a battery of tests was not an option.  Although we miss her, it was the right decision.

Sorry to waffle!!  I am in the UK at present and have been buying the Whiskas fishy food in cans, as that is all she would eat.  I have been complaining for some few weeks about the smell it gives off.  It is really vile, goodness knows what is actually in it.

Would love to know if you get an answer from the company.

Regards Dave

Ditto, we are on one of the test panels so we get packets sent to us for feedback.

One batch of food for seven days is blank so you don,t know what flavour it is and we have to feed according to the instruction supplied. We give feedback every day on how the cat liked it how much they ate etc. On one test it was seven days of chicken flavour, poor cat was bored stupid by day two and nearly left home.

Gave them some enlightening feedback, heard nothing though. It is all the same consistancy and does not look like meat at all unless you buy top brands. Look at the price per kilo of the top brands and the cat may as well have real food, especially when you look at the price of tuna and cheaper salmon in tins.

Have care if giving a cat tuna as it is detrimental to their health. We found this out only last week (google is tuna good for my cat) and our cat will only eat tinned tuna which she has been having now for around two months along with Purina One biscuits. We stopped the tuna at the weekend having read up about it. Now we are in Coventry! Will probably be in tinbuktu by friday as she is getting the worm treatment this week as well.

Chris

PS our cat has never liked whiskas so it ended up feeding the local stray. If you look at the label of most tinned cat foods the amount of viande and sous products is 4% so what does the other 96% contain?

Exactly, what is in these tins?  With the warm weather a whole load of juice and nothing much else.  You don't seem to notice it quite as much when the tins are colder.

I didn't know about the tuna.  But at Leclerc they have tins of tuna and tins of sardines for cats, no famous brand and not too expensive.  I'll get one later to give details if you like.  I only buy the sardine ones and it is only sardines in them, no mush*.  Most of the cats love them, except for a few who probably don't like sardines!

* Just got one, a blue tin.  Sardinelles en Gelée by Nabab.  Ingredients: Sardinelles 66%, eau, épaississants.

Thanks Christine Animal, as I shop at Leclerc I'll look out for the tins for cats - at least that way she gets a little treat now and again! Do you give you cats cream? ie the little boxes of Delice cream - again I'm sure this is not good for cats but I can't take everything away at the same time. She (Dora) came to us as a stray and being soft in the head we've spoilt her cos we love her to bits !

Chris

Read the report it all sounded convincing until "you should feed your cat commercially prepared catfood", at that point I loose interest as we are discussing low grade stinking commercial rubbish!

That to me is like saying Mcdonalds is a good balanced meal [+o(]

• 2 weeks later...
[quote user="Christine Animal"]... at Leclerc they have tins of tuna and tins of sardines for cats, no famous brand and not too expensive...it is only sardines in them, no mush*.  Most of the cats love them, except for a few who probably don't like sardines!

* Just got one, a blue tin.  Sardinelles en Gelée by Nabab.  Ingredients: Sardinelles 66%, eau, épaississants.[/quote]

Christine, I bought one of these tins of sardines and both cats loved it!

It cost € 0.75 and I got 6 meals out of it (they have a supply of crunchies too): €0.125 per meal

I usually get the Whiskas pouches at €15 for 48 pouches: €0.31 per meal

No contest!

Thanks for the tip [:)]

I give Mimi my 6 year old French cat a tin of Tuna once a week, as a treat, but the Vet told me to rinse it first in cold water to get rid of the salt. Put it in a fine sieve and turn on the tap!

You will see in every Supermarket in the world. Shoppers can fill their trolleys with their own food in a minute, then spend 20 minutes gazing at the cat food trying to decide what the cat will eat 'This Week'