cats to france

elamessa

Hi,

Firstly let me apologise if this has been asked before but can't seem to find the answer.

We are moving to france at the end of the year and are bringing our 2 cats with us. We have no intention of returning to the UK ever......... and want to know what we require to bring the cats over. Our vet seems to think that as we are not returning with the cats then we dont need the passport/microchips only the vaccine. Is this correct or has she got it wrong.

Your help would be appreciated.

steve

Hi Steve

I think your vet may be wrong, I have copy /pasted this on another thread but I think it will help you. Please note that 'pet' means dogs/cats/ ferrets.

This was copied from the defra site http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/quarantine/factsheet/eufactsheet3_050907.pdf scroll down page to find:

(b) Taking your pet from the UK into other EU countries

To travel from the UK to another EU country, a pet must be microchipped (although some countries accept a tattoo), vaccinated against rabies (although Sweden does not require this when a pet travels direct from the UK) and issued with an EU pet passport. Malta has additional entry requirements and to enter Sweden your pet must be treated for tapeworms with a product containing praziquantel no more than 10 days before entry. Please contact the authorities (e.g. the Embassy) of the country you wish to enter to check the

requirements. See also (d) below. For rules to re-enter the UK see parts 1, 2 and 3.

21 day wait

For EU countries where more stringent entry requirements do not apply, the EU has introduced a wait of 21 days from the date of the first rabies vaccination before a pet can enter those EU countries. However, if the vaccine manufacturer’s datasheet requires more than one vaccination to complete the primary vaccination protocol, the 21 day wait applies from the date of the final vaccination of that protocol. Your vet will advise you further.

Booster vaccinations are valid for entry from the date given provided they are given on time.

Residence

If your pet stays in another country it may become subject to that country’s rules on residence e.g. pets in France become resident after 3 months. You are advised to check with the authorities of the country what those rules are and what implications becoming resident will have for your pet. For example, some countries require resident pets to have an annual rabies vaccination.

Your cats won't be allowed on the boat or the plane without a passport.  If they're going on the plane the airline will probably need a certificate of fitness to travel also.  My advice is take them on the boat.  Much less traumatic for them.

Remember also they have to be treated for worms and ticks, by your vet, before they travel.  Your vet must enter into the passport the date and time when it's done.  This must be done more than 24hrs but less than 48hrs before the travel time.

Apart from that microchip. rabies vaccine and satisfactory blood test - but that's all part of the passport procedure.

We just did all this ourselves.

Remember also they have to be treated for worms and ticks, by your vet, before they travel.  Your vet must enter into the passport the date and time when it's done.  This must be done more than 24hrs but less than 48hrs before the travel time.

The tapeworm/tick treatment is only required for travel to the UK.   It is not a requirement for entry into France.

Bernice

[quote user="RicandJo"]

[/quote]

No.  This is only required for a return trip to the UK.

My recommendation (and I make no apology for repeating it) is that despite no desire to return to the UK that you do have your pets blood tested for rabies and microchipped.

Life has a nasty habit of changing the direction you have to take.  So consider this when saying you will never return.

You or partner dies - will you want to stay alone in a strange country?

Relative in the UK has an accident and one or both of you have to return to tend or bury them.

and so on.

Unless you have absolutely no loinks or ties with the UK, never say you will never return.

Learn from one who had to attend a family funeral at a time when all of the catteries were full.

[quote user="andyh4"]

My recommendation (and I make no apology for repeating it) is that despite no desire to return to the UK that you do have your pets blood tested for rabies and microchipped.

[/quote]

For a pet to enter France from the UK it needs a passport. To get a passport you need to have the pet micro chipped, then it needs vaccination for rabies, then you need to wait a minimum of 21 day before you can travel.

These are the minimum requirements to gain a pet passport.

You can not get a passport without micro chipping, and you can not enter France without a pet passport.

It is all explained in the link in my first post.

I'd like to echo Andy's comments. Please do keep your pets' vaccinations and paperwork up-to-date when you're here in France. Think of it as an insurance policy for the welfare of your animals. [:)]

It's surprising how many people who state prior to arrival that they will never return to the UK later decide to go back... and then have the heartbreak of re-homing loved pets as they can't wait for the 6 months for the rabies vaccination to become effective and enable return to the UK. And they certainly can't afford 6 months accommodation fees at a kennels. You only have to look at the number of animals up for adoption on the various forums to know that a lot of people made that mistake and sadly it's their pets who pay the penalty. So please continue with the vaccination.

We rate the tunnel for animal transport. Entirely uneventful and stress-free for both the owners and the animals.

Other than that... bon voyage. Have fun. [:D]

Just to agree with what most folks have already said - a pet passport is absolutely necessary, regardless if you intend to return to the UK or not. 

We would not have been able to bring our 3 cats over to France without passports, as the airline would not have accepted them, without one, for the flights.  They checked everything very thoroughly including the date of their vaccines & the vets medical stamp (on the Clinical Examination page of the passport) to prove they were fit to travel.  They are also very strict about the size & style of cat box they would be traveling in - although I think that may only apply if you are flying them out.

Your cats will need to be chipped & vaccinated at least 6 months before you intend to move to France, so the passport can be issued after all the necessary blood tests.  The micro-chip can be registered in France when you arrive & unfortunately a case of rabies has recently been reported, so their vaccinations should always be keep up to date, for their own good as well. 

[quote user="ali-cat"]

Your cats will need to be chipped & vaccinated at least 6 months before you intend to move to France, so the passport can be issued after all the necessary blood tests. 

[/quote]

I'm sorry but I have to disagree with you on that statement, That would only apply if they were returning to UK.

To leave UK you only need to wait 21 days after vaccination before traveling to France

Edit: This discussed not so long ago: http://www.completefrance.com/cs/forums/1196351/ShowPost.aspx

We have three cats that were exported as livestock.   Defra have information on this for the hows etc.   It is a lot cheaper than the passport scheme and if you are not planning on returning then it will work for you.   We only had to get the cats inspected the day before they travelled and that was it.   No requirement for vaccines etc.

I think for your own peace of mind, it would be sensible to get passports, but you need to act now as they cannot travel for at least six months after the issue date.Then if you ever have to return to the u.k.for any reason and you never know ,provided you keep their Rabies jab in date every two years whilst they are in France, you will be legal to return to the u.k. with them at anytime.It may cost you about £300.00. for them both, but in my mind worth every penny.

[quote user="vervialle"]I think for your own peace of mind, it would be sensible to get passports, but you need to act now as they cannot travel for at least six months after the issue date.Then if you ever have to return to the u.k.for any reason and you never know ,provided you keep their Rabies jab in date every two years whilst they are in France, you will be legal to return to the u.k. with them at anytime.It may cost you about £300.00. for them both, but in my mind worth every penny.[/quote]

This is the second time this has been stated today[:-))]

Pets can travel to France after only 21 days after vaccination and the above only applies if you intend to return to the UK

I refer again to this from DEFRA http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/quarantine/factsheet/eufactsheet3_050907.pdf

The situation must have changed a lot in the 6 years since we brought out our 6 cats on an export licence - no rabies or micro-chip required, just the usual vaccinations and a trip to the (Defra approved) vet the day before to be signed off.   We also had, and still have no plans to return to the UK permanently.

However, just to play devil's advocate, couldn't the OP bring the cats out on an export licence under whatever regulations that requires nowadays, then apply for a pet passport in France with the rabies etc done here?    I presume the passport scheme works both ways ?   That way, they won't have to wait 6 months minimum before bringing the cats out, which may not fit in with their plans, yet could take them back to the UK eventually should they need to.

You can play what you like but it won't be with an export licence as they no longer exist for the import of pets (cats, dogs, ferrets) into France. And, as Jacqui's DEFRA link said ([:-))]) for pets to travel from the UK to France the requirement is microchip + rabies jab + Passport + a wait of a minimum of 21 days before travel to France. The period of six months does not feature in the regulations for animals travelling to France.

Edit:

Haven't ignored but didn't comment on the P's suggestion as it's not one I know about.

[quote user="Jacqui Too "][quote user="ali-cat"]

Your cats will need to be chipped & vaccinated at least 6 months before you intend to move to France, so the passport can be issued after all the necessary blood tests. 

[/quote]

I'm sorry but I have to disagree with you on that statement, That would only apply if they were returning to UK.

To leave UK you only need to wait 21 days after vaccination before traveling to France

Edit: This discussed not so long ago: http://www.completefrance.com/cs/forums/1196351/ShowPost.aspx

[/quote]

I'm sorry as well - but I have to disagree!!  If you want a passport for your pets a vet will only issue & stamp it after the final blood test results are in - which takes 6 months.  We have no intention of bringing our cats back to NI but our vet still had to wait for the full 6 month period before receiving all the necessary paperwork from DEFRA - nor would the airline have taken them without all the proper hoops jumped through.

[quote user="Catalpa"]You can play what you like but it won't be with an export licence as they no longer exist for the import of pets (cats, dogs, ferrets) into France. And, as Jacqui's DEFRA link said ([:-))]) for pets to travel from the UK to France the requirement is microchip + rabies jab + Passport + a wait of a minimum of 21 days before travel to France. The period of six months does not feature in the regulations for animals travelling to France.

Edit:
Haven't ignored but didn't comment on the P's suggestion as it's not one I know about.

[/quote]

Our cats were all rescued having been abandonded and abused so we needed to put them through as little stress as possible.   At the time we could barely get near them and the vet used to have to visit armed with a chain mail glove so this presented the best option.   I don't know if what we did is completely above board but it was what we were advised to do at the time and it all worked out.   This was in 2003 and now they are all lap cats.   The papers were checked as we went through the tunnel with them and there were no issues.   I have since told the cats they may be illigal immigrants and now they look sheepish...............so, what are the rules on sheep imports?

[quote user="The Ps"]

This was in 2003...

[/quote]

I think that's the relevant piece of information - export documentation was an option until the rule changes in 2005. Unfortunately - because I obviously understand the wish to cause the cats (and the vet [6]) as little stress as possible - I suspect that what you were able to do then you could not do now.

we have just moved our cats to france- our regulations for passport were;

microchip and 1st rabies jab

2 week wait and 2nd rabies jab

2 week wait and blood test

3 week wait for blood test results- ( hence where the 21 day wait comes from)

passport issued

in total it took us about 7 weeks to get the passports.  They did not have to wait 6 months before leaving for france, that is only if they are going to be coming back!

Anj

[quote user="ali-cat"][quote user="Jacqui Too "][quote user="ali-cat"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I'm sorry as well - but I have to disagree!!  If you want a passport for your pets a vet will only issue & stamp it after the final blood test results are in - which takes 6 months.  We have no intention of bringing our cats back to NI but our vet still had to wait for the full 6 month period before receiving all the necessary paperwork from DEFRA - nor would the airline have taken them without all the proper hoops jumped through.

[/quote]

I'm losing the will to live with this thread[:-))]

Where and when did you have you information from?

Have you read the other posts that contradict you?

The OP wants to take her cats to France and not bring them back, she dose not need blood tests, only a passport which she can get after micro chipping and rabies vaccination and then a minimum 21 day wait before travel.

Passports are issued either after vaccination if you are not having blood tests (as in the case of people wishing to export and not return) or after successful blood tests for people wishing to return to UK, the six month rules is only for pets returning to UK.

You say you are from NI which means you come under UK law, so these rules should be the same for you as they are for us, and I don't understand why you say the blood tests results take 6 months, you get the result after about 14 days and the 6 month wait starts from the day the blood was taken.

Please can I ask if people are stating facts that those facts be up to date.

Deimos where are you!!

We brought our cat over 2 weeks ago.  No intention to return to UK.  We could not get the passport issued without the blood test.  When checking in for the ferry the staff checked the blood test was signed up.

However after his rabies jab the blood test was taken three weeks after, result returned a further two weeks after that.

I believe DEFRA do not get involved anymore - the bloods go to a DEFRA approved lab and passport is issued by DEFRA approved vets.

[quote user="RicandJo"]

We brought our cat over 2 weeks ago.  No intention to return to UK.  We could not get the passport issued without the blood test.  When checking in for the ferry the staff checked the blood test was signed up.

However after his rabies jab the blood test was taken three weeks after, result returned a further two weeks after that.

I believe DEFRA do not get involved anymore - the bloods go to a DEFRA approved lab and passport is issued by DEFRA approved vets.

[/quote]

http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/quarantine/factsheet/eufactsheet3_050907.pdf

This is an extract taken from the link above

Step 4: Documentation

After your pet has passed its blood test you must get an EU pet passport. If a blood test is not necessary, or is to be carried out in another EU country, you can get a passport after your pet has been microchipped and vaccinated against rabies.

Again if you are not returning to the UK you do not need blood tests. If your vet knows you do not intent to bring the pet back he should not make you have them and you shouldn't have the extra cost as they are very expensive if you don't need them. 

[quote user="Christine Animal"]

Jackie   [:P]

[/quote]

Very true Christine, but I can not stand by and let the wrong information go unchallenged. People look to this site for advice and they should be given up to date information and also links to where they can read it for themselves!.

Sorry but I wasn't trying to give wrong information, just telling it the way it was for us.  Maybe the vet was wrong, but at the ferry they made sure the test was done, maybe they were wrong too.  If it had not been I could stand there and argue, not be able to call any professional body because it's after 5pm, miss the boat and wait 12 hours for the next one.  No thanks.

I took the belt and braces option and I'm glad I did - our crossing went without a hiccup.

[:D]