Puppy doodoos.

Chris Head

Some dogs will cr*p on newspaper if you leave some on the floor - then you can move it outside and the dog will follow the paper, as it were.  But I'm with Gardener, tell him how good he is whenever he goes outside and give him as many opportuniteis to do this as you can.  Some trainers advocate getting up a couple of times in the night to let puppies out also and repeating the praising/rewarding technique when he goes.

Daemos used to be really good at this stuff but I haven't seen him around for ages.

Puppies are just doing what's natural, they don't automatically know that there is a right and wrong place for it.

If by chance they do it outside, then they don't automatically know that they have just done the right thing.  You could give him  a command 'poo now' or something and then plenty of praise and a reward when he does it, just don't punish if he gets it wrong and poops in the house; or he could then become too scared to poo in your presence even in the right place.[:D] Patience and kindness.

Seriously, how old is your puppy?

Some pups take longer than others to be clean indoors, and even when you think it's all OK the pup will make a mistake. At puberty the pup may also 'forget' him/herself.

The only way you are going to get this 'right' is with plenty of patience and awareness of your puppy's needs: think like the dog, not like a human. Yes, you might well have to get up in the night for a very young pup but this doesn't last long.

Don't give up, and NEVER get cross with the pup, it doesn't help the dog one little bit.

I have also pm'd you

It is important that you designate a "good" pooping area outside, not just anywhere in the garden.  That way you can eventually take him there and give the poop command and he will know what you expect and will go (so you can leave him alone for a few hours without worrying, or go on a long car journey, ditto).  I used to take ours out, on the lead, at regular intervals but especially after their morning snack and after their supper, to the designated place and hang about for ages getting cold and bored whilst repeating the command at 10-second intervals or so (have to admit I would sometimes give up, have a coffee, and try again in a short while.)   Once it happened in the right place, there was much praise, linked again to the poop command so the connection was made, and a small treat.  Didn't take long with any of them to get the idea.  You are lucky that it is a good time of year to be doing this, and leaving the door open etc, not the depths of winter!

Chrissie (81)

PS I agree with other posters, you have to just clean up the messes in the house and not scold or apparently pay any attention.  It's a "dull" event that gets no reaction from you.

PPS I still praise my dogs when I find a poop for picking up in the pooping area - the neighbours must think I'm bonkers, cooing "Oh good boy, look what I've found, a poop!!!"

It's all true, what Chrissie does works!  I have several rescues from Spa's and even though they are not puppies they have been used to pooping anywhere and not house trained poor things.  But it's amazing how quickly they learn with the right encouragement, lots of patience and diligence and praise for getting it right and also asking to go out when the door is not open - i.e. going and standing by the door.  Accidents still happen with mine especially if I'm busy and don;t notice them standing at the door for some reason, but it's rare and I NEVER scold them because it's not deliberate.  It helps to keep letting them out regularly during rainy days or winter time - they all pop out for a 'do' and come scurrying back in!  If you work then you need they empty 'both chambers' properly just before you leave them!

Thanks for all the advice, I'm certainly not going to get cross with him 'cos one day he might just get cross back & he's going to be one big dude!

Next question, diarroea, he's had it for five days now, I'm syringing smecta into him daily, he's eating well and taking plenty of liquids down. The food is Royal Canin junior 32.

[quote user="Chris Head"]Thanks for all the advice, I'm certainly not going to get cross with him 'cos one day he might just get cross back & he's going to be one big dude!

Next question, diarroea, he's had it for five days now, I'm syringing smecta into him daily, he's eating well and taking plenty of liquids down. The food is Royal Canin junior 32.[/quote]

FIVE DAYS? YOU NEED TO TAKE HIM TO THE VET ASAP

PLEEZE

And you shouldn't be feeding him if he's got the trots, he needs a day or two's starvation but under veterinary supervision

Yes!  Five days is far too long for him to be this way.  Stop his food for 24 hours to give the gut chance to recover and keep him hydrated to replace the electrolytes he is losing all the time he has the trots - very important.  These are special salts you can get from the chemist for all people with chronic diarrhea and it's ok to give to dogs if you are stuck till you can get him to a vet - put it in his water, it tastes nice so he should drink it.  Only introduce plain white rice as food in small portions once his gut has rested again until you get him to a vet if the week-end prevents you.  But he's a puppy so he will become quite ill fast if there is a real problem that needs proper medication - Smecta has it's place but it might not be the best thing right now and certainly you must stop the food intake - again because he's a puppy you need to take advice on this quickly.  Most vets have emergency numbers you can call on week-ends.

Nine weeks Christine, don't know if first lot of injections etc include worming? He's chipped and I have his health card. He's gained 700 grammes in seven days and is giving hell to partners little rat dogs and chickens, his spirits are great and he doesn't show any signs of distress or illness...just runny doodoos!

Only the person you had him from can tell you if he has been wormed.  But if he is all healthy otherwise, it could be that.  All pups have to be done, they always have worms.  Make sure you get the right stuff for puppies if you do him.  When do we get another photo?   [:)]

Edit:  If it was you who got the first injections (vaccinations) done, that normally doesn't include worming.

Breeder sorted everything. I've spent A LONG time looking for the right breeder, the right lineage, the right parents and the right puppy for me and FINALLY I found him....his personality is really very special. He and his wife are passionate about their dogs and Mummy, Daddy, Grandma and Papi are magnificent animals and a credit to their breeders dedication. It's a real honour to count Fagus as a new family member...piccies tomm.