help! I'm desperate. Need a vet on sun 31st Aug in 24

virginia.c

I really am desperate!  In brief we're going to France on the early Speedferry crossing tomorrow morning.  Dog is coming for the first time.  He has his passport and is ready to go.  The only crossing I could get to come back is the midnight Monday 1st Sept.  Absolutely have to be back that night and can't travel day before because there are no crossings and weren't when i booked a few weeks ago.  Problem is this rule that your dog has to have the injection and Frontline not more than 48 hours and no less than 24 hours before you travel back.  See my problem??  My friend's vet in Thiviers doesn't work on Sundays (not surprisingly) and no vet works at midnight on Saturday.  I can't bring the crossing any more forward because we're signing for our new house on Friday afternoon and have to be there on Sat/Sun to organise loads of stuff before coming back on Monday.

I'm tearing my hair out.  Don't suppose any of you are vets near Hautefort/Thiviers are you?  or do you know any who would be prepared to work on a Sunday?

And I don't have anyone in England to leave him with at such short notice!!

With risking a backlash from other forum members, we have found the vets in France to be accommodating. I would suggest asking if it would be possible to take your dog in for it's Frontline and worming (I have the worming tablets instead of the injection) on the Saturday afternoon before.

that's exactly what I've heard WJT, but, it will be my first visit to a vet in France and, if this turns out not to be the case then I risk not being able to bring my dog back into the country.  If I already had an ongoing relationship with a French vet things may well be different, but I just darent risk it.  many thanks for your speedy reply!!

Virginia, perhaps it's an idea to call a few in the area ahead of time and explain your situation and see if one of them can come up with a solution. I would imagine this is a common problem.

By the way, if all else fails, we have in the past for an emergency found a vet that is open on a Sunday. I believe that most communes will have one that is available and it was nothing like in the UK because the fees he charged us was normal.

http://www.pagesjaunes.fr/trouverlesprofessionnels/rechercheClassique.do?idContext=-1350917449&portail=PJ

Edit: Sorry Virginia, I have just reread your post and see you are leaving in the morning. I wouldn't worry about it too much because I am sure you will sort something out. If not let me know and I can give you the name of the vet in our part of Dordogne in La Buisson. It would be a long way to come but at least you wouldn't have to worry for a last resort.

You are a life saver WJT.  I can't find La Buisson on my map - which is the nearest large(ish) town please?  Are you  confident that your vet would do his stuff on a Sunday?  Sorry, don't mean to doubt you - but in the absence of any other information I may well be entrusting my hound to your superior knowledge!! 

I have just checked our vet's info and see they give an emergency 24/7 number.  You may have to pay a little extra but I've found the vets to be really reasonable in France.  We are also in the Dordogne, the vet is in Nontron.

Virginia, the vet in La Buisson is not our vet but was the one on call when we had an emergency on a Sunday. I can't guarantee it would be him on call that day but he was part of the group of the vet that we use in Sarlat. In fact, the next day was a bank holiday Monday and our vet in Sarlat did come in for us. They may have charged a little more but I didn't notice and they were certainly cheaper than the vets in the UK on an ordinary day for the same thing.

La Buisson de Cadouin, is south of Le Bugue, which may not help you much. [:)]  It is in the Perigord Noir which is S.E. Dordogne. But as Uffcat mentioned, I would imagine that you will find one that will be open or come in for you on a Sunday in your area, if that will be necessary. If not, I can PM you the number of our vet.

know where you are now WJT, spent a nice day in Sarlat in May as I recall.  Sounds like the vets are pretty understanding and I do at least have next week to make the calls when I'm out there to get something arranged.  I just didn't want to risk bringing him without having asked the question first and I quite understand that it may cost a little more out of hours.  I'll get back in touch if I have no joy next week.

thanks again - we can carry on packing the van now!!

Here's an update for all who were so helpful.  Hound survived 12 hours packed tight into a van carrying most of my wordly goods.  Got stopped at customs English side only because they wanted to pat him, then had good but hot journey down to Thiviers area.  Went into a vet in Thiviers today and got him registered and booked in for the jab and Frontline with no problem at all.  Huge relief all round and it means that we can now concentrate on trying to make sure that everything now goes ok to take possession of new abode on 29th.

Thanks everyone for all your input.[:D]

We take our cats back to the UK regularly and have done so from both Spain and France.  As long as the tick and tapeworm treatment is within the 24-48 hour window then it doesn´t matter where the vet has his surgery.  Before now we have timed it that the treatment was in southern Spain ( almost two days drive to Calais) and still managed to fit things in.

• 3 months later...
What was the outcome of the vets - did you find an "accommodating vet" or did you find one open on a Sunday.  I only ask as we are going to the Vienne region between Civray and Couhe for Christmas.   We have two dogs and we're travelling back at 6.30pm on Monday 29th December.  There are no local vets open after 6.30pm on the Saturday and we can't find one open on the Sunday - but we have been told by a reliable source that a nearby vet will jimmy the times - to make them valid for our return.

Travelling on a Monday is a awkward and of course at this time of year there are bank holidays etc. too. 

• 2 years later...
To bring an old thread back to life, I just made the mistake of booking a crossing for a Monday evening forgetting the issue of the dog and his trip to the vet so will either have to find a vet open on Sunday or take a hit on the cost of the tunnel I have just booked.

Does anyone know a vet, preferably close to Central Brittany, that is open on Sundays, to make it worse it needs to be May 1st so a Sunday bank holiday!