Cat Worming

Mac

We have just aquired a cat and we wormed him last month. However we gave him a tablet and that took quite some time and he certainly didn't like it!!

I have since been told that it is possible to buy a preperation (similar to that used for fleas ect) that is put on the back of the neck and protects against worms. Does anyone know what the name of this is and is it possible to buy it online.

Hi

The wormer for cats that you put on the back of the neck is called Profender spot-on. There are sites that you can buy it from but I haven't found any that's cheaper than the vets. I use it all the time now and it's certainly easier than getting clawed or bitten!

I use that when I can otherwise I use the Verbac paste that comes in a syringe that you squeeze directly down the throat.The downside of that is that its messy and they all look like rabies victims as it foams yellow round the mouth. Tablets we gave up on years ago when we discovered the siamese was hiding it under the kitchen mat.

I get Profender spot-on from my local chemist, who has a small veterinary section, and I am sure I have seen it at other chemists.

However, my cat has become very street-wise. She hates the spot-ons (forget about the pills, it's downright impossible!) and now if I stroke her with one hand, she keeps her eye on my other hand, ready to flee. It's a nightmare trying to do anything with her. Taking her to the vet is such a production, once we get her in the carrier in the car, you would think I am dismembering her slowly or torturing her, she makes terrible noises all the way there....and back. Once she is on the vet's table though, she is as good as gold, although petrified.

All this to say that I am not even sure I do the Profender spot-on (and the anti-flea and tick treatment) properly. She has fairly long hair, so it is hard to get to the skin, and I always wonder whether it really has reached its destination and whether it is effective.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I think I too will try the one about grinding the tablet up first the next time we worm. If that fails I'll go for the drops recommended by the other posts.

Talking of cats getting street wise to medications etc, you only have to remove Frontline from the packet and they flee. They can smell it when you crack the phial and I think it reminds of them of the smell of the vet's surgery because she often applies it when examing an animal that has fleas and the smell lingers. Our dog even recognises the traffic lights just around the corner from the surgery and starts to whine cos he can't stand going there either.

My sister's cat hates any intervention and can hide a tablet when you think it has been swallowed! Her vet now gives her an annual injection against worms, no hassle as it's done with her normal booster jabs!Result[:D]