Dobermanns and muzzling

PaulT

Having lost our Dobbie last September we are in the process of contacting UK rescue centres to have another and naturally mentioned that they need to travel well - long way to the south of France.

One of the centres has come back and said that her sister, who lives near Limoges, has said that Dobbies need to be muzzled when in public.

Our one never was and has been in to restaurants etc with no problem and the French vet has never mentioned it.

Have been been breaking the Law or do they not need muzzling in public?

Thanks

Paul

Thanks both - and yes Coops she was a lovely dog, still trying to get over it 7 months later.

The only good thing is that one of the rescue centres thinks they have a dog for us. It has had a very bad start to life so hopefully we can make the rest of its life good.

Paul 

Sadly our neighbours dog, Dobbie, escaped from their garden and attacked our Rhodesian Ridgeback.  I think it is a female thing, they detest eachother.  Thankfully Della, the Ridgie, only needed one staple to close the wound.  It shook us up and it will certainly make me more careful with Dobbies in future.

Suey

[quote user="sueyh"]Sadly our neighbours dog, Dobbie, escaped from their garden and attacked our Rhodesian Ridgeback.  I think it is a female thing, they detest eachother.  Thankfully Della, the Ridgie, only needed one staple to close the wound.  It shook us up and it will certainly make me more careful with Dobbies in future.

Suey
[/quote]

Suey think you are branding a breed on the basis of one example.

Once when we were out with Lace a small dog kept jumping up at her face. She did not react in any way. It was only as we walked away that we saw blood spots appearing on the ground. The small dog had bit her and made her bleed. She could have grabbed the small dog by the scruff of the neck and given it a severe shaking with the likelihood that she would have broken its neck - but she did not.

There are several small dogs that can be very aggressive.

And this is what humans can do to them:

http://www.dobermanntrust.org.uk/introducing-max

- we are being lined up to give him a new home and it will take at least 6 months to turn him around.

Paul

[quote user="sueyh"]Sadly our neighbours dog, Dobbie, escaped from their garden and attacked our Rhodesian Ridgeback.  I think it is a female thing, they detest eachother.  Thankfully Della, the Ridgie, only needed one staple to close the wound.  It shook us up and it will certainly make me more careful with Dobbies in future.

Suey
[/quote]

Suey think you are branding a breed on the basis of one example.

Once when we were out with Lace a small dog kept jumping up at her face. She did not react in any way. It was only as we walked away that we saw blood spots appearing on the ground. The small dog had bit her and made her bleed. She could have grabbed the small dog by the scruff of the neck and given it a severe shaking with the likelihood that she would have broken its neck - but she did not.

There are several small dogs that can be very aggressive.

And this is what humans can do to them:

http://www.dobermanntrust.org.uk/introducing-max

- we are being lined up to give him a new home and it will take at least 6 months to turn him around.

Paul

We had a Doberman until he died 6 years ago, and he was the most gentle dog you could meet. He used to lie down for small dogs to play with him, and even when a cat leapt on his head he just stood still for us to detach the claws from his face!

Obviously there will be Dobermans who have become aggresive but I think that their natural character is to be gentle.

Don't know if it's a common thing between bit-ches to be aggressive.  But some friends of mine adopted an elderly female labrador (now deceased) that took fanatically against a crossbred bit-ch they already had.  It was a nightmare trying to keep them apart - in the same house.

Angela

Our bit-ch has always been a bit off with other bit-ches.  She is great with males.  I do agree that as a breed Dobbies are great and we were so surprised a shocked when our neighbours dog had a go. She is great in the house with her owners. 

I also agree about small dogs, another neighbour has a miniature Jack Russell that tries to bite our three dogs.  It has been so lucky not to have been picked up and shaken.

Suey

My friend has the most wonderful Rottie, very gentle and pretty bomb proof. She also happens to really love swimming which seems surprising.

The same friend had a Jack Russel (it lived to be 19) but I wouldn't have trusted that dog at all..... a real liitle devil

We have a female Labrador who is a little love - however she is terrified of small dogs. A jack russell attacked her a few years ago, fortunately no damage was done apart from her mental state.

Re: Muzzles - we have to use a muzzle when returning to the UK with Brittany Ferries. Evidently this was enforced after a jack russell ( again) nipped a few people in the ferry terminal.  Maybe they ( the dogs) should be listed as a 'Dangerous Dog'.Whistles [Www]