Will my education be affected and will ipick up the language?

polly

[quote user="Teamedup"]

cooperlola, let's face it, with the dictee's and marks being taken off right left and centre for spelling and grammatical mistakes, one has to be nigh on perfect at these things in french schools to get half decent marks. I'm sure that Wen is well aware of the exigencies of the french system and thus her suggestion is not untoward as far as I am concerned.

I was always lousy at grammer etc at school, good job I was good at sums wasn't it.

[/quote]T/U it was a good point, but rather sharply made, especially when the critical post contained one grammatical and one punctuation error that even I spotted.  Pots and kettles... glass houses etc. 

Coo, dictée, you bring back memories!

R/H a young poster on another forum I belong to got into very hot water for his spelling and grammar to the extent that he went off in a huff in the end!  That's a shame because, as you suggest, he too was merely posting as is the habit for many who've been born into the computer age - of writing to get a point across and ignoring such things as capital letters for names of people and countries, correct punctuation etc.

If I made mistakes, I am incapable of spotting them. I am OK with this problem of mine, I suspect that my sons' problems come from me and I have one of the 'dys' problems, mabye dyslexia....... who knows.

Being sharp in posting, well when were profs in college not sharp, sharp with many of their pupils, and sharp with these pupils  parents during the meetings...... I do know of the odd encouraging teacher, but they are the exception and not the rule, around here at least.

Polly is 14, I would rather like to know when she was 14, last year or this year. If it were last year (2006), she should be in 3eme now and off to lycee in September to start the baccalaureat, so maybe she would have to double at least twice, it wouldn't be unknown.

If Polly cares to read through the threads on this bit of the board, she will see my views on french education, she will also see posts by people who enthuse about it too.

Incidentally I have no idea what so ever what year 10 means. I would have thought at 14 Polly would be starting preparations towards her GCSE's, which I actually believe would be an excellent thing to have before moving anywhere, especially as the Brevet has no value what so ever.

Whilst I admire Polly's initiative in trying to seek answers to her questions, I sincerely hope that her parents are doing their research too.

Being plonked in a new school at 14 is hard enough anywhere but in a new country...and if I dare say it, I imagine (not being in possession of all the facts) that the pressure on Polly and her sister will far harder than on the parents, who at the risk of putting myself in the firing line are following their dream .

Yes, I agree Beryl, and it might be illuminating for any parents (not Polly's own necessarily) to see what somebody from that generation will have to go through when they are moved lock, stock, and barrel to another country, not necessarily of their own free will.  It was really for this reason that I was a little over-critical of the sharp criticism of her grammar and puctuation, because it would be such a shame if girls like Polly and her sister were discouraged from posting if they felt it was going to be like being at school!  We should do our best to encourage them and others like them to join in the forum, not to put them off.  We could do with a bit more young blood around here, not less.

Polly

I have 3 daughters  the eldest will be 13 this year. She had concerns like you. The french system is different to the english and staying back a year will help you immensely. It will give you a year to master the system, make friends and learn the language. My daughters still have private tuition from a french tutor although they are now fluent but their written french needs some work. They love their life here it's not perfect but nowhere is.

Look on it as an adventure.

[quote user="cooperlola"]  We could do with a bit more young blood around here, not less.[/quote]

Yeah - I do feel kind of lonely sometimes! [:P]

I know that some people (indeed, one I know personally) have been

deterred (one "r" or two? I never could remember) from posting here

because of a perception that some senior members are a little harsh on

newcomers. I wouldn't want this to become a "fluffy" forum, and I know

that courtesy is somewhat out of vogue, but cutting new bugs a little

slack does seem reasonable.

Give them 25 posts and then start roasting them alive, I say.

[quote user="Jon"][quote user="cooperlola"]  We could do with a bit more young blood around here, not less.[/quote]

Yeah - I do feel kind of lonely sometimes! [:P]

I know that some people (indeed, one I know personally) have been deterred (one "r" or two? I never could remember) from posting here because of a perception that some senior members are a little harsh on newcomers. I wouldn't want this to become a "fluffy" forum, and I know that courtesy is somewhat out of vogue, but cutting new bugs a little slack does seem reasonable.

Give them 25 posts and then start roasting them alive, I say.
[/quote]Good thinking Jon.  Let's start doing a search for those with 26 posts and let roasting commence![6]

Just so you know my parents do visit this site quite often and sometimes i am a lousy typer and i am not that great at spelling and grammar![8-)] i may not know a lot of french but i will get there!(i hope) we are starting french lessons this week hopefully. Thanks for all the help! polly

[quote user="cooperlola"]Afterthought, mods and admin - a juniors only section - say for under 18s?  Or would this be considered unsafe in this day and age?[/quote]

This has been discussed with Admin before and I'm afraid its a thumbs down.  Sadly I think it's just too risky.

I would be very happy to see Pollys parents post![:)]

[quote user="Just Katie "]You are far too nice Jon.  But we all knew that anyway[:D][/quote]

Why thank you Katie. I saw my chum yesterday when we took advantage of

our self employed status and went out for a "philosophical" afternoon

in La Rochelle, for which I am duly suffering this morning. I mentioned

this august forum and he said "Oh, that snakepit?" Then he paused and

said "No, no, that's unfair: snakes in a snakepit normally get along

quite well together." I cannot think what he means.

[quote user="Jon"]
"Oh, that snakepit?" Then he paused and said "No, no, that's unfair: snakes in a snakepit normally get along quite well together." I cannot think what he means.

[/quote]

Somebody on here must have disagreed with him[:)]

Sssssssssss