Friday evenings

Kitty

I have two of my children at weekly boarding school. They come home on the train on Friday evenings and go back again on Sunday evenings.  So I spend Friday really excited and missing them and hoping that all have been well with their 'controles' and their 'notes' (please let these be 15 out of 20 and not 7 out of 20 etc.).

Then they arrive at the station and all H**L lets loose e.g. their first words are: 'why were you 5 mins late?' 'why haven't you tidied my bedroom?' 'what have you done to your hair?' etc etc.

Does anyone else get this?  Roll on Sunday evening...

e.g. their first words are:

Cathy, my answers would be a follows

'why were you 5 mins late?'

"Traffic was bad, I was driving safely to make sure I arrived in one piece"[Www]

'why haven't you tidied my bedroom?'

"It's your bedroom so I leave it alone, it's your job"[blink]

'what have you done to your hair?' etc etc.

"I am pleasing myself, being a grown-up independent woman and making my own statement"[8-|]

[quote user="Just Katie"]Cathy I could easily cope with that on a Friday night only.  I get it from monday morning to sunday night..............non stop. [:$][/quote]

Katie, I had the same thought! At least Cathy gets some respite i.e Mon. to Fri. without having to nag them to do their homework etc. must be worth a lot.

Cathy, I hope Saturday and Sunday are better for you.[:)]

Worse than the moans on a friday night was the TON of laundry that arrived with them. But hey, Cathy, this morning is Saturday and the sun is shining and I bet they are in great humour.  IMHO girls are worse than boys in the friday night moan department and it doesn't last[:)]

[quote user="LEO"]

[quote user="Just Katie"]Cathy I could easily cope with that on a Friday night only.  I get it from monday morning to sunday night..............non stop. [:$][/quote]

Some girls have all the fun!

[/quote]

[quote user="Just Katie"]You should pop around and sample it Leo.  Half the time I dont know whether to laugh or cry.[/quote]

JK, LEO was being smutty - and you didn't even notice it [:-))]

or maybe you did and were just ignoring it [blink]

Cathy we've had to deal with it for 5 years  [:(]

Firstly my daughter was 2 years at College/Lycée in Toulouse then 2 years at Lycée at Poitiers and usually came home on Friday evenings unless she had a sports competition. I always looked forward to collecting her from the station but soon learned that the most innocuous of questions on the way back home was liable to receive a very short and aggressive reply and could easily lead to outright verbal war!! It turned out that is was simply due to tiredness verging on exhaustion and after a good nights sleep she was usually much more agreeable on Saturday morning. Mind you that didn't/doesn't stop her replying "not now, can't you see I'm busy" when asked to do some little thing while she is sitting on the settee chatting to her friends on her laptop, mobile phone open beside her and music playing. [blink]

I think it must be a girl thing, my son is far more even tempered even on a Friday evening but he is at local Lycée. Now, trying to extract information about school from him ..... well that's another matter!!

Oh no!  I don't want to hear about these kind of things - my daughter is only 3 and I already get 'I don't want to talk to you' and 'what you got' - on collecting her from maternelle and she is searching my pockets for 'gôuter'!  I don't think I want my little boy to start school and realising that mummy is not the centre of the universe!

On the other hand - is weekly boarding such a bad idea - OK, so we only live 10 minutes walk from school!!!![:-))]

Yes Gemini Man, of course I knew he was being smutty but women get very good at ignoring.  If it was said face to face it is very easy for most women to continue the conversation and nobody would have a clue that it was picked up upon.[:)]

Yes girls are very different to boys especially during the teen years.  They are far more volatile than boys.  Sometimes I wonder if there are five people in my house who looks like my daughter.  She will walk out of the room all nice and cute and then come flying in two minutes later like a devil with a rocket up her arse.  She has an answe for everything and it is hilarious.  Embrace the years ladies, they are thoroughly enjoyable.

[quote user="Just Katie"]

Yes Gemini Man, of course I knew he was being smutty but women get very good at ignoring.  If it was said face to face it is very easy for most women to continue the conversation and nobody would have a clue that it was picked up upon.[:)]

[/quote]

Now how come that doesn't totally surprise me [:)] [:$]

[quote user="Deby"]

i'm scared of all this teenage stuff!   Surely not my two - my lovely 9 yar old girl who talks to me + my 6year old boy who loves his mummy!!!!

Tell me its not true - please!

Deby

[/quote]

Don't worry Deby, hang in there and with luck it will all come good in the end[:)]

Well, Sunday has arrived and, yes, they were better behaved on Saturday.  And it does help me with them being at boarding school because I don't have to nag them to get their homework done - the school do that for me (not very well, judging by their test results this week...).  I do have to text every day and listen to their daily woes from the phone box and drive over to rescue them when they are poorly (why do French schools not have a sick bay?) and ring the vie scolaire to explain why they failed to take their shoes, books, protractor etc

In mitigation to those that think I have a doddle of a life by sending children to boarding school, I still have two others at home.  Mind you, I do sometimes dream of them going to boarding school as well.  Then collecting four from the train on a Friday night - that would be interesting...

Hey ho, motherhood...