French equivalent of UK qualifications

Meg

I have no idea how the education system works over here

but want to know what a rough French equivalent of my UK qualifications would be.

So looking for the closest thing or best way to describe:

G.C.S.E's 

A level's

BTEC National Diploma

City
and Guilds

certificate

BA Hons (and how degree classing is described). 

No replies yet? Hope you haven't been overlooked because I have just about the same query myself. I'm in the process of (trying to) translate my OH's CV but am a bit unsure about City & Guilds, etc, qualifications.

My CV was translated by 'un français' as follows:   O levels = Baccalauréat 1ère partie/A levels = Baccalauréat 2ème partie/legal and computer qualifications = formation juridique et informatique. Don't know how accurate/inaccurate the translation is though.

I have seen job adverts requiring "Bac + 2" (for example) but don't know what this means?

HELP!![:'(]

I have had my 'A' levels is English, history and economics translated by locals as 'Bac (L/ES), but this is general opinion not fact.

Bac + 2 is the number of years studied at Higher Education level, after achieving your Bac - therefore a standard UK degree would be Bac + 3.

As for City and Guilds - when you find out please could you let me know, as I need to get them translated as well, (officially) for the Chambre de Metiers who have told us, ask the Prefecture, who have told us - 'not us mate'

Oh well, life goes on

[quote user="Busy Bee"]I have had my 'A' levels is English, history and economics translated by locals as 'Bac (L/ES), but this is general opinion not fact.

Bac + 2 is the number of years studied at Higher Education level, after achieving your Bac - therefore a standard UK degree would be Bac + 3.

As for City and Guilds - when you find out please could you let me know, as I need to get them translated as well, (officially) for the Chambre de Metiers who have told us, ask the Prefecture, who have told us - 'not us mate'[/quote]

I have had very quick and affordable official translation service from Peter Rawlinson at http://www.traducteur-assermente.fr/21597/index.html

As far as City & Guilds are concerned, you can find (at least) their UK equivalents here:

http://www.cityandguilds.com/cps/rde/xchg/SID-0AC0478D-C3850CC0/cgonline/hs.xsl/2329.html

That should make it much easier to find a French equivalent.

The C&G equivalency PDF should be much the same as this web page:

http://www.learnonline.nhs.uk/Trust+Training/City+Teaching+PCT/KSF+Information/Qualification+Equivalents.htm

• 1 year later...
the fact is that the 2 systems are totally different- so totally different that it is almost impossbile to translate. There are no GCSE exams in France, and the Bac has many options- but always include all subjects, with different weighting. The UK is unique  in Europe, indeed the world, in having A' Levels with only 3 subjects (4 for AS). So the BAC is definitely not A' Level equivalent. Bonne chance.

City & Guilds is a bit of a mixed bag, or was back in my day. It's primarily a trade qualication, so fairly practical. Many C&G subjects have at least 2 levels, the lower of which can be pretty basic. We did our C&G exam at the end of 2nd year and for the written paper most of us finished in half the time allotted! There are other subjects where C&G is seen as the principal qualification.

For qualifications the French are heavily into this 'Bac + x' formula, so work out how many years of full-time study after A levels you would expect to need to get the qualification and quote that.

Of course, the fact that I did Bac +3 in photography doesn't mean a lot in my current business, but it keeps them happy.

Bachelor of Arts degree = une licence de lettres

Bachelor of Science degree = une licence de science

... with Honours = ...avec mention

... First Class = ...très bien

... Second Class = ...bien

So a Bachelor of Arts Second Class Honours degree would be Une licence de lettres avec mention bien.

Hope this helps (in part at least)

Brian

• 5 months later...
I'm due to do a few beauty courses in england including massage, I have the option to do just a diploma or to have a city and guilds, I live in france and want to start my own business here doing that, does anybody have any info if I'll be allowed to use my qualifications here in France?