Giving Up and Going Back - Have I Failed?

Panda

Fully agree Cerise- bravo for having the guts and understanding to put your childrens' education and welfare first. By the way some 6th form in the UK, state as well as private - do offer the International Bac - so it might be an option for you to consider at a later stage - if you think you might wish to return at some stage. In Leicester for instance Wyggeston Q.E (which the Attenborough brothers attended) is an excellent state 6th Form that offers this option.

Bonne chance to you all - hope you manage to keep up their French language skills too. Keep in touch to tell us how you get on.

Thanks Deby, Cerise and Odile for your kind words. I am returning to the Cotswolds and will certainly look at those options (Ibac etc.)

I will dip in here from time to time to check on everyone/update.

Leaving in a couple of weeks, feels really strange at the moment, but feels right.

• 1 month later...
I don't think this is about success or failure really. You remain a stakeholder in your French enterpises, rental property etc.You have provided your child with a start and options which will always be there to be tapped into. You are now simply moving into the next phase of what sounds like an adaptable, workable and largely succesful plan...I wish you and yours well.

Panda, our opinion of what you have done is irrelevant. As long as you can face the person looking back at you in the morror each morning nothing else matters.

Failure is not turning back, failure is not achieving the objectives that you set before your move to France - based on facts not opinions.

Only time will tell how your son reacts to being shuttled back and forth. The 3 options seem to be - love you for it, hate you for it or (more likely) a shrug of the shoulders and a grunt.

John

We are all making choices everyday - for me the key part of your choice is ACTION.  Others may have stayed and grumbled or even never have made the move and grumbled some more.  You are taking action based on your circumstances.

I have been asked many times "Is your French move permanent?" ... who can possibly say yes?!?  Who knows what opportunities lie around the corner?  Who can tell who they will become as they grow and learn?

Good for you and best of luck

Hello All

Didn't realise this thread had reappearded, I am now back in the UK. Son has started school and so far loves it, it's a nice introduction as of course everyone is in holiday mode.

I've started back at work and that's a weird feeling but knowing I will get a payslip at the end of the month is the nice part. I hated being self employed, the uncertainty doesn't suit me.

So far so good, the thought of just dropping in for a coffee with family is the best part.

I'm already planning my first trip to France as a holiday maker though, and I can't wait!

[quote user="Panda"]

So far so good, the thought of just dropping in for a coffee with family is the best part.

I'm already planning my first trip to France as a holiday maker though, and I can't wait![/quote]

Sounds as though all is going well for you and your family. It must be a great relief to know you made the right decision for your son. Hoping that he continues to thrive in the UK education system; you too, of course.

Sue

Have just been catching up on some reading and have found an article in the Daily Telegraph of 27 June, Weekend section ( sorry, I have NO idea how to make a link[:$] ). It's called A French Revolution and is about the pros and cons of education in the two countries.

• 4 weeks later...
Education does seem to be old-fashioned here - my friend's son was told that in Terminale he should be studying till 11.30 a few nights every week so that he would be prepared for the regime at his future university. We had to help him one night at 11pm with an essay he was writing in English. Well past our bedtime! Education is more about regurgitation.

Ian

[quote user="Lancashire Lass"]Well this is an interesting thread for me as a newly retired English primary school teacher! I have been wondering whether there might be a call for English families wanting to supplement there children's education with lessons in reading and writing good English![/quote]

Call me picky!!