Baccalauréat Général and Diplome National du Brevet equivalents in the UK

WillHR94

Hello,

I moved to France at the age of twelve and having lived there for seven years have now moved back to the UK.

I achieved my Brevet and my Scientific Baccalauréat there but I am having troubled getting them recognised by companies.

I am trying to apply to engineering apprenticeships but I get the same response everytime being that they will not take my application further as I don't meet the minimum qualification criteria. I believe my qualifications are being misunderstood as the minimum qualifications requested are 5 GCSEs A-C Grade.

I believe that these companies are using UK NARIC (UK Government Body) to obtain official transcripts but apparently the British equivalent isn't enough. I find this hard to believe as I looked into doing a year's foundation course at Uni and the curriculum was the exact same as that of Terminale.

Has anyone ever had similar problems? I would really appreciate some advice on this topic as I am confused.

Thanks.

There is the

European Qualifications Framework

You can compere qualificatiions here

http://ofqual.gov.uk/help-and-advice/comparing-qualifications/

This page from Bristol University should help in translation Bac results in to A level equivalents

UK GCE Advanced Level gradesFrench Baccalaureate equivalence (overall average, plus this score in specified subjects)Option International (overall average, plus this score in specified subjects)
A*A*A*1817
A*A*A1716
A*AA1615
AAA1514
AAB1413
ABB1413
BBB1312
BBC1312
BCC1211

http://www.bristol.ac.uk/international/countries/eu-qualifications.html

CGSEs are a level 2 qualification which is a whole level below a Baccalauréat, which is an A level equivalent, or level 3.

Look at the diagram I posted: http://ofqual.gov.uk/help-and-advice/comparing-qualifications/

I have already given the Bristol site

Here is the one for Brighton

http://www.brighton.ac.uk/international/equivalencies/france

You might like to explain that

The French
baccalauréat
is the national examination that most French pupils take at the end of seven
years of secondary education

Source http://www.asiba.info/pdf/asibaoibhandbook2010.pdf

If you are doing the BAC (S) like our two sons, it might be worth comparing the range of subjects you have done. We have no feel for what you do for 3 specific A levels, but our youngest who is doing his mocks at the moment for the BAC (S) is doing Spanish, International section History and Geography in English, English, Philosophy, Physics/Chemistry, Biology, Maths, Extra higher level Physics, Sport (exams in three subjects, Ping Pong, Running and Rock Climbing). He has already taken the BAC section in French (written and oral) and History/Geography and had to give a 20 min presentation on a Science subject in front of a jury. In the stone age when I did my 3 A levels (Physics, Geography and Chemistry), that was it. The French system seems to produce a better rounded student with a wider grasp of subjects. Our eldest, who also did BAC (S) is at 19 now beging to appreciate even philosophy. IMO you can argue you are taking extra value to your next level of study than just an A level student.

• 2 weeks later...
Hello again,

Problem solved. I finally received feedback from a company about my qualifications. It turns out it's because of the English that we study for the Bac as it isn't equivalent to GCSE's, it's a lower level again. Therefore I must take a GCSE in English or an equivalent for my applications to be accepted. Otherwise they do recognise that it's equivalent to A-Levels.

Thank you all for your help!

[quote user="WillHR94"]Hello again,

Problem solved. I finally received feedback from a company about my qualifications. It turns out it's because of the English that we study for the Bac as it isn't equivalent to GCSE's, it's a lower level again. Therefore I must take a GCSE in English or an equivalent for my applications to be accepted. Otherwise they do recognise that it's equivalent to A-Levels.

Thank you all for your help![/quote]

That makes sense and as already said above thanks for bothering to give us the information and feedback [:)]

• 1 month later...
Hello everyone,

It's the least I could do seeing as you all helped a lot. It also means if anyone else in the same situation has problems they could (hopefully) find the answers they need.

Patf, as for the International Baccalaureate, the French Bac isn't similar at all. In fact they're complete different qualifications therefore companies can't compare my Bac with the International Bac. Doesn't make sense [blink]

Regards,

Will