Where to buy white goods ?

Not the most exciting topic I know but, any advice on best places to but white goods. We need all the basics, fridge, washing machine etc etc. If it makes any difference we will be in the Gers region. We have looked in Leclercs, seems o.k., but that is about the extent of our research to date. Any tips ??

Gabe 

Hi

I've had to buy quite a few.

Best to buy special offers: keep an eye on the junk that comes through the letterbox around sale time. And you have to visit stores to find the special offers : exhibition item, small scratch on side (who looks at the side ?).

I've bought from Auchan, Leclerc, Carrefour, Saturn, Geant, Troc d'ile.

Current consistently low prices seem to be at Geant.

Peter

Ask around to see if there is a shop that sells 'seconds' (normally a slight dent somewhere) or end of lines. We have such a shop near us and they sell all the top brands, Siemens, Bosch, AEG and also the cheaper end. We managed to match a fridge when ours died and got a Zanuusi, we have bought top of the range chest freezer, dishwasher and also near bottom of the range washing machine and tumble dryer. Our main requirement is A electricity usage. All products have been fantastic and far cheaper than any other store we have been to and they are local. John has his eye on an American larder fridge and freezer will all the gadgets when the main kitchen is finished. Our current small freezer is very old and will not go on much longer so I suppose I will have to agree . This shop also does cookers. tv's etc etc.

Shop is in Biars in the Lot (46) if anyone near wants to take a look.

[quote]Ask around to see if there is a shop that sells 'seconds' (normally a slight dent somewhere) or end of lines. We have such a shop near us and they sell all the top brands, Siemens, Bosch, AEG and also...[/quote]

Di, that sounds really interesting.

Is Biars near Labastide-Murat, off the A20? Do you have the name of the shop?

I'm in the Lot and have to buy a new fridge, the one that was here when I moved in being antiquated, tiny and with the unpredictable nature of Arkwright's till

I was trying to hang on til Lidl had another "special" on, but I'm never quick enough off the blocks with reading all the publicity that piles up.

Maybe I should wander over to Biars and take a look.

Thanks

[quote]Ask around to see if there is a shop that sells 'seconds' (normally a slight dent somewhere) or end of lines. We have such a shop near us and they sell all the top brands, Siemens, Bosch, AEG and also...[/quote]

Hi can you tell me where Biars is near as i can not find it on the map. Many thanks

Biars is near Bretenoux. It is on the river Cere (think that is right spelling) and Biars is on the main railway line. The shop is next to the railway line which I think once had huge works there as there are railway 'bits' as a statue. Biars is the 'Jam capital of France' and most of the Andros factories are there. It is in the North of the Lot.

Remember to cost in your petrol/diesel into the equation, if you have to drive half an hour to get there and another shop selling white goods is nearer but slightly more expensive - they could actually be cheaper. You will also have to take something along to put the goods into, delivery costs.

Here is a link to the area, Bretenoux (46130). http://www.multimap.com/map/browse.cgi?client=public&GridE=1.83895&GridN=44.91548&lon=1.83895&lat=44.91548&cidr_client=none&lang=&db=FR&place=BRETENOUX,+BRETENOUX,+46130&pc=&advanced=&cname=Great+Britain&addr2=&client=public&addr3=Bretenoux&overviewmap=&scale=50000 

I would gess the link will split, go to multimap and put in either Bretenoux or the post code. Biars is not really shown where I would expect it but you can see the railway station and the little T junction where the shop is on the Avenue de la Republique. There is quite a good shopping area there.

Hope this helps (and thaink goodness for the edit feature, I forgot the link )

How far you are from Toulouse ?  I have no connection, but I would recommend these guys - we just got a Bosch dishwasher - same price as the cheapest web deal(20-30% cheaper than local or chain stores). Easy to deal with and reliable. Phone for prices as they are often even cheaper than the web site. http://www.arts-menagers-discount.com. You can collect (cheaper) or they will deliver and install. They seem to be able to most makes/models.

regs

Richard

Thanks Richard. 

I am 35 mins south of Toulouse so that is going to be the first place I check out when I move in spring.  When  I did the first stage of my move I found the oven in the 'cuisine equipe' had disappeared and the lecky hotplates had been disconnected (where from?? ) . Never mind! Gives me an excuse to start afresh! 

Any other suggestions anyone?  Us Newbies are really open to and grateful for your recommendations.

Thanks

Coral - halfway to Ariege

We bought from MDA in 74, although they seem to have a lot of shops in the south as well so might be worth checking your area.

They sell slightly damaged white goods.  We got about €100 off the catalogue price on our washing machine and €150 from the fridge freezer because of some tiny scratches Delivery and installation of both was about €40 and everything guaranteed as normal

http://www.mda-sud.com/liens.htm

Hi there,
The most famous French shops to buy white goods are DARTY, BOULANGER and WELDOM.
They are all over France, so i guess you should have one near your house.
The others (Leclerc, carrefour, etc...) are supermaket so they are not specialized in and their after sale service is ... so so.
you can also trust the website www.marcopoly.com (or.fr i don't remember) wich is the DARTY website. They often propose special discounts.
Hope it will help
Regards

Sabine

www.en-toutes-saisons.com

[quote]Hi there, The most famous French shops to buy white goods are DARTY, BOULANGER and WELDOM. They are all over France, so i guess you should have one near your house. The others (Leclerc, carrefour, e...[/quote]

Hi

You are lucky !

Our local Weldom does not do white goods

Our local MDA is more expensive than Geant, etc

Peter

Last spring we bought the usual fridge/freezer, TV, washing machine and tumble drier from a, I gather, small group called Gitem. They delivered free, when they said they would, installed/ connected and were generally very helpful. They set up our TV parabol for 30 euros as well. I personnally thought the prices were very fair.  This was in Picardie but I believe there are a number of branches around.