Has anyone had the same in France?

jxedwards

Okay, so here's the deal ... This is a true story ...

You're living in Portugal, and there's an old farm next too you, that has been empty for over 15 years ...

So, you buy it, and start checking out you're property ...

On the farm, there's an old large, barn, that has the doors padlocked and welded shut, and have become rusted solid ...

So, you grind off the padlock and welds, force open the doors, the rest, as they say, is history ......................

http://www.intuh.net/barnfinds/afa70.htm

Most of these cars are worth more than the whole farm ...

• 2 weeks later...
I've seen it before but just looked at the pictures again. What an amazing collection, but two really stand out - the Peugeot 205 and the Alfasud do not fit in with the rest as they are far too recent, very strange.

• 3 weeks later...

The Farm next door to me is now abandoned due to the owners Ill health. His sons are selling off all the equipment at pretty reasonable prices. While rooting around one of the barns I found an old Peugeot 203 van in reasonable condition. Certainly restoreable. I might ask how much he wants for it as I fancy a new project. There are loads of old horse-drawn carts and horse-drawn farm machines too, all in poor state but good for restoration or for parts. Id imagine it will all get dumped.

When I was a student living in northeast France, we as a year group were taken on a week-long trip to visit various textile and machinery manufacturers in Switzerland and around the area of Basle-Mulhouse.

On our last day before returning back to college, we were visiting a company manufacturing textile machinery, SACM in Mulhouse. The guy who was organising the visit said that he had something special for us to see, if our lecturers were in agreement to us making a detour and taking time out from our day's visits. So, the coach took us to a fairly big factory complex in Mulhouse, where, our guide explained, the owners had just gone bankrupt and fled to Switzerland, having tried to sell their factory to anyone who would agree to buy it for 1 Franc and also agree to take on their substantial debts. Meantime, the workers had occupied the factory, where they had recently made an amazing discovery.............

The place, and the story, may be well known to some of you now, but on that day in 1977, a small group of students from a textile college in Epinal were among the very first people to visit the Schlumpf museum, and to see one of the most amazing collections of cars. All the workers were asking was for a contribution to their strike fund. To my great regret, I didn't have a camera with me[:(]

http://www.europeancarweb.com/museums/0205ec_schlumpf_collection/

[quote user="dave21478"]

The Farm next door to me is now abandoned due to the owners Ill health. His sons are selling off all the equipment at pretty reasonable prices. While rooting around one of the barns I found an old Peugeot 203 van in reasonable condition. Certainly restoreable. I might ask how much he wants for it as I fancy a new project. There are loads of old horse-drawn carts and horse-drawn farm machines too, all in poor state but good for restoration or for parts. Id imagine it will all get dumped.

[/quote]Where are you roughly, Dave?  I know somebody who might well be interested in the carts.

Im in the Tarn, between Albi and Castres.

I have a friend who is also intereted and would have taken the whole lot, but the guy wanted a silly price that was way over the odds seemingly. The only hope is that when the house is sold, the stuff goes with the sale and the new owners might be open to a reasonable offer to clear out what is cluttering up a large amount of space.