Car Registration

bixy

Having just embarked on this process, following the procedure very clearly  outlined by SD, I would just like to add one or two points. Yesterday, I obtained the quittus fiscale for our two vehicles. First point, make sure you go to the right tax office! Having been assured by our banker that I needed to go to tax office X, clear across the department, I was told no, you need to go to tax office Y, still a long way from home but in a completely different direction. Second point, you will be asked for evidence of identity. I happened to have my photocard licence with me, which was ok. Third point, you will be asked the 'kilometrage' of your vehicle. For one of them I had to guess - hope this will be ok. In both cases I had to borrow the tax office calculator to convert from miles. You might like to do this beforehand! Fourth point, I was rather insistently asked for the original purchase certificate, which I didn't have since both vehicles were bought second hand. Be prepared for an argument.

I am now going to embark on the next phase - controle technique, after changing the headlights. At the garage I was told that my insurance company [Pacifica] might pay for the change. Anyone heard of this?

Patrick

I suspect Patrick's tax office may not be used to processing Brit imports and have had to get the manual out on this one.

Proof of residence is a requirement (eg, utility bill) but I've never come across an instance where they've asked for proof of identity as well.

Imported vehicles under six months old and/or with less than 6,000kms on the clock are subject to French TVA on the original dealer sale price, so the procedure requires them so obtain sight of the original invoice and check the kilometrage.  In practice, they will often just check the date de premier mise en circulation on the V5C then take a view depending on the age of the vehicle.  Some offices will insist on seeing the invoice/receipt as proof of purchase, but others will accept 'demenagement' as the reason for import and let it go at that.

So, in view of Patrick's experience, it's probably worth going armed with the same information, especially if it will avoid a potential lengthy return trip.

[quote user="Sunday Driver"]

No, just taking what is actually required.....[;-)]

[/quote]And there's the rub, what's required and what's asked for may not always be synonymous which is fine if you have the knowledge of the former and the linguistic ability to argue the latter.

For my own part, until my French is up to argument level, if somebody petty Foncierre wants to see the receipt for my kitchen sink then they are quite welcome....[8-|]

SD you're right. There aren't that many ex-pat Brits in this area. The lady who dealt with me was clearly bluffing her way through. If you are a fonctionnaire, never admit you don't know - just ask for another document! Which takes me on to Ernie's point - yes, probably a good idea to take every bit of paper they might conceivably want. Incidentally the first tax office I went to also asked for proof of identity, before they realised I was at the wrong office.

As for the insurance company paying for my new headlights, much as I expected. It is hard enough for them to pay you when you have a legitimate claim.

Patrick

Well AGF did pay for mine to be changed over in 1995, I've still got all the paperwork relating to the cheque they sent back for the full amount I spent at the local VW garage. Obviously with no many foreigners over here now they have stopped doing this.

I, too, would have been asked for my passport but, to save them the trouble, I produced it just before they requested it!

Also, when you go for your CT, take along your UK registration document.  I had to return to the garage with that before they would even look at the car.  Never having been asked for this before, I just made an appointment and went along as I would have done "back home"

What all the official bods wanted to know was the horsepower of my car, of which I knew sod all.  Telling them that the "puissance" was 1599 cc cut no ice whatsoever.  In fact, it was fonctionnaire number 3 who eventually produced a table which told her whatever the horsepower was and therefore was able to work out the exact fee for my car.

When I went for my plates, I just requested "some plates" as in "could you do us some plates, please?" at which the chap said, "do you want a third plate?"  This threw me a bit, so I asked, "why would I want 3 plates?"  At which the man answered, "do you have a trailer?"  Just goes to show you can't assume anything; trailers being so much more in common use in France.  Better then to ask for "deux plaques" rather than "des plaques".

After all that and clutching my new plates in triumph, I went off to the garage to have them rivetted on.  The garage proprietor looked at my rivets and shook his head.  Apparently, my rivets (given me by the man in the key-cutting shop) were "pas jolies", being 2 blue and 2 yellow rivets.  He insisted I had to have one blue and one yellow rivet for the front plate and one blue and one WHITE rivet for the back plate.

They don't half make a meal of everything! 

Yes you are right about Allianze but our local office still has its AGF sign hanging outside, perhaps some folks don't like the change. I must say all claims over the years have always been paid out fast. Another nice little touch in previous years was that after five years no claims with AGF they halved the premium for the same vehicle.

hi

Just to contribute to the discussion.  SD said proof of residency is required, he said I think for a quittus fiscal, e.g. a utility bill.  As SD knows a utility bill does not prove residency.  I, a non resident have now two french registered vehicles, one new.  For the secondhand one I produced all the required paperwork and then was asked by the tax person if I was tax resident in france, I said I wasn't, she checked next door and then she said it was ok and give me my quittus fiscal.  With regard to a new vehicle its very easy, someone else sorts it out for you, no direct questions about residency.

[quote user="bigears"]With regard to a new vehicle its very easy, someone else sorts it out for you, no direct questions about residency.[/quote]With the instant depreciation on a new car infinitely cheaper to hire the best Advocat in the land to stay for the week and help you do it....[;-)]