New car

mint

Have looked at alternatives and weighed the consequences.  So.............keeping my Hyundai Lantra for a "runaround", now French registered (thank you SD).

Selling my OH's Volvo Estate, being collected by new owner next week and being taken back to the UK.

Now, the question, WHICH CAR? The OH is not keen on any of the French cars.  We are now retirees and have to consider where to draw in our horns (no pun intended).  If you had, say 25000 euros to spend on a new car, which would it be?  We are thinking Japanese or Korean if the money will run to it.  If not new, then newish second-hand.

Suggestions (no need for a postcard) here please.  All answers gratefully received.  SD, would you care please to start the ball rolling?

How about a Toyota Corolla Verso D4D. Not very exciting but mighty practical.  Five to 7 seats, all the toys, Japanese reliability, fast (136 bhp), comfortable and safe and lugging space to rival your Volvo.  Ours was around 23,000 euro as a 3 month old ex-demo. Much more than we expected to spend but we can see it lasting us at least 10 years.  For the full range of what else is available and likely prices check out the latest Argus magazine.

Hope this helps.

Mr Cat

Wow, Ali-cat.  Thanks for the prompt reply.  Funnily enough, my husband was talking about the Verso, not that we thought we could afford it.  Will find a Toyota garage and seriously consider this option.  We have had all sorts of cars, including Mercs in the past but have found the Far East imports practically unbeatable in terms of price, toys and reliability.  Very excited indeed and now off to find the OH in the garden and tell him what you have said!

Just wanted to point out that I'm not a "he"!! [:D]

Hubby replied to your original post - & then I took over ...... sorry for the confusion (certainly not the first time it's happened - I was always taken for a "fella" when I was younger as I'm 6 ft tall, used to have a shaved head & admit I looked rather butch!! [:-))])

Because, OH says they are not reliable and are not well-built.  Mind you, Gus, I'm not saying he's right.  What do I know about cars except how to drive them?

Have been googling cars and we have more or less narrowed the field down to Mazda 6 estate, ali-cat's Corolla Verso and I quite fancy the Hyundai Tucson.  Any advances, anyone?

I've got the Hyundai Tucson and I'm very pleased with it.  40,000 Kms in the last year and not the slightest problem.  Servicing costs very reasonable and with the 2.0 lirte diesel version I get 7.2 l/100Km (on-board computer and verified with actual fuel receipts) and will quite happily do 130 kph all day on the autoroute.  I like the higher driving position (easier on my back) and the headroom (I'm quite tall)

Just a point, get one made in 2006 or later.  The version before that had huge fuel consumption.

Passat Estate is undoubtedly a great choice but think about the Skoda Octavia as an alternative.  Same background and build quality but better value as it's actually built on a Golf chassis although you wouldn't know that from the size of it.  And just look at how many cab firms run them - here in France as well as the UK - they know a little about long term reliability. Hyundais, although undoubtedly good, have lower resale value than almost anything from the VAG stable (Volkswagen/Skoda/Seat/Audi).

Would love Passat Estate though I think it's probably out of our price range.

I must say I do like the Tucson but, as Chief says in another thread, 4 X 4's do now have unfriendly environmental connotations especially in London where we are most likely to be these days, if and when we do go back on a trip together.

Strange, Coops, I was trying to think of the Octavia and couldn't for the life of me think of the name!  I think this last bit of the post is a cross-thread one and rightly belongs to the "menopausal" thread.

Isn't life fun, funny and intriguing?

[quote user="cooperlola"] Hyundais, although undoubtedly good, have lower resale value than almost anything from the VAG stable (Volkswagen/Skoda/Seat/Audi).[/quote]

You have to remember that they also have a lower purchase price when they are new too.

When I bought my Citroen I had all the 'experts' saying the same about that, My reply was simple, if it costs half the price of another car when it's new, Then its resale price would be half of what it is for the other car wouldn't it ?

My advice to anyone worried about losing money on a car is to buy one that is 3 years old or more. Most cars have lost the bulk of their value by then.

I'm pretty sure that I was this abscent minded even before the big M, Sweet 17, but I can't remember.

Have a look also at the Nissan Qashqai which comes in 2 wheel drive as well as 4x4 versions.  It has recently got the best ENCAP Safety score for any car (for adult occupants.)  Also, the diesel engines are French so are a) good and b) can be serviced by any Renault dealer.

I am now on my 3rd Nissan and all have run fault free, so I'm biased.

The low-down

http://www.autocarmag.com/CarReviews/FirstDrives/Nissan-Qashqai-2.0-Tekna-2WD/223837/

And the good old Octavia

http://www.autocarmag.com/CarReviews/RoadTestsHistory/Skoda-Octavia-1.9-TDI-PD-Ambiente/209185/

The autocar site gives reviews for most of the cars you're considering - just pop the model in the search box - although beware because French specs are often different but the basic cars and engines are usually the same - only the options tend to be different.