m o t

gers32

Broadly I would say it was harder to pass a CT than a MOT with welding on a vehicle. As CT stations cannot be owned by garages you do not tend to get fails to generate work. You will find both MOT stations and CTs which understand the car has to pass the test based on the standards when the car was first registered. In general if you check the car for trivial faults and it is road worthy it will sail through either 

Not sure if thats a cryptic answer or not Jay [:D]

Based on my own experience of the CT's (MOT) for my own cars and things I've read I'd say they were roughly on a par with a possible tendency towards leniency on the French side.

I say that because it's quite possible to come away from a CT test with a pass sticker even though you may have minor faults which in UK would definately earn you a fail. You are supposed to fix them within 2 months I think it is.

Whatever the letter of the law I think it's fair to say that some French CT testers will sometimes exercise a degree of latitude which you would not find in a UK MOT test, or at least not since the system went fully online.

Apparently the CT has only been around about 15/20 years and they're easing in the standards - which seems common sense.

The latest tightening up - including shock absorbers and other items - came into effect around DEC 2007.

I took my 205 in just before the latest testing/failure amendments and she flew through. I was amazed!

Rear axle is (well) on its way out, common fault. Exhaust needs replacing, needs a tune up but still managed to pass the emissions test.

The list of recommendations they attached to the certificate was as long as your arm.

So, she's roadworthy but seemingly everything needs replacing! [blink]

[quote user="Bones"]So, she's roadworthy but seemingly everything needs replacing! [/quote]Doesn't quite gell with my understanding of 'roadworthy' [8-)]

Judging by the state of some of the old bangers you frequently see around the place if the CT were as rigidly applied as the UK MOT there would doubtless be thousands of cars instantly put off the road [blink]

[quote user="ErnieY"]

[quote user="Bones"]So, she's roadworthy but seemingly everything needs replacing! [/quote]Doesn't quite gell with my understanding of 'roadworthy' [8-)]

[/quote]

Mine neither!

I think the fact that half the cars in France would've been refused when they first introduced the CT explains why they are 'easing in' the procedure. I once followed a white van down the road - directly behind - and I could see all four wheels at the same time, twas interesting viewing.