Another Brit speeder sorted out

Tony F Dordogne

Do they demand cash or will they take Credit Cards ?

If the latter lets hope he got a sh1tty rate plus a cash advance fee, or better still twice, because most cards wouldn't let you draw that sort of amount in a day so he'd have had to go back the next. Factor in the overnight stay then plus expenses and you could be knocking on the door of €1000, serves the pillock right.

As an aside; from tomorrow new guidelines in UK provide for much higher penalties than previously so maybe our miscreant got off relatively lightly [:-))]

On August 4, new mandatory sentencing guidelines come into force in magistrates' courts in England and Wales. These will apply to all offences sentenced on or after this date and magistrates, unlike previously, have a statutory duty to regard the guidelines. The level of fines relates directly to net weekly income (gross income less tax and national insurance). Where no income is disclosed, average weekly earnings of £350 will be assumed. As a consequence, a motorist with a net weekly income of, say, £500 can expect a fine in the range of £375-£625, with £500 being the usual starting point, if he appears in court for driving at 41mph in a 30mph zone. On top of that, he faces four to six penalty points or disqualification for one to four weeks. For a defective tyre, the guideline fine is likewise 75-125 per cent of net weekly income, up to a maximum of £2,500 plus three penalty points. This is for each defective tyre. In all cases, the fine may be reduced by up to a third for a "timely" guilty plea, and a victim surcharge (£15) plus costs will also be payable. Police will, of course, continue to have the option of issuing fixed penalty notices that take no account of income. I don't condone offences of any kind, motoring or otherwise, but the new sentencing regime will undoubtedly lead to much higher fines being imposed.

Seems somewhat harsh. It would appear to punish innocent people in that if the person that committed the crime is a married person with children and a non working spouse then no account is taken of the financial effect that such a large penalty would have on the family, thus all persons of the family are punished, whereas a single person is given the same penalty. I suspect it appears to be a tax gathering exercise.

ams

[quote user="ams"]

Seems somewhat harsh. It would appear to punish innocent people in that if the person that committed the crime is a married person with children and a non working spouse then no account is taken of the financial effect that such a large penalty would have on the family, thus all persons of the family are punished, whereas a single person is given the same penalty. I suspect it appears to be a tax gathering exercise.

ams

[/quote]

No it isn't ams, it's a fine having committed an offence, something about doing the time (or paying the fine) and committing the crime/offence comes to mind.  The person incurring the fine should have thought about that in the first place, it's his/her, not the court's responsibility.

[quote user="ams"]

[/quote]

I wouldn't worry too much 'ams', no doubt there will be dispensations for those currently choosing to live their lives off the state.

[quote user="ams"]It would appear to punish innocent people[/quote]You could make the same argument for any financial penalty, or indeed custodial sentence. The innocent will always suffer.

I wonder what your formula would be for determining fines, disposable income perhaps ?

In these straightened times for a great many, single or married, that could well be a negative figure and on such a basis only the feckless would benefit, would that be fair ?

On second thought they usually do anyway so why should they be discriminated against in this area [:-))]

[quote user="ams"]

ams

[/quote]

And it would have been even harder on the family of any potential person that man could have murdered because of his excessive speed. €750 compared to a persons life is negligible.

I feel that you are missing the point. I imagine that the logic behind the proposal to fine someone in relation to their earning power relates to the concept that a large fine has little impact on a wealthy person whereas it does on a person of modest means. the proposal or law as it stands imposes an unfair penalty on inoccent persons. A more eqitable fine would be to take into consideration the persons situation and give credit where it is due. Does the law in relation to taxation not work on similar lines.

I do understand that some people take the view that one has to be harsh and the law is the law, whilst other people have a different view of how things should work.

ams

Surely the idea is that the would be offender thinks about the effect of his/her actions on the innocent and doesn't do it!!.

It is their responsibility - no one else's.

If you behave in such a way that you receive a heavy fine and your family has to go short,  that's tough for everyone, it may also be a very good deterrent

Regards

Atilla

To 90% of people (perhaps more) a €750 fine would hit hard. To have fines based on income would just make everything more complicated and cost more. What do you base your income on? Last year figures? Because this year you may be earning much more (or much less).

And it is the responsibility of the driver. If he chooses to drive twice the speed of the limit, then he must pay, and if his family have to suffer because of his idiocy, that's too bad. That's life. Just in the same way if that person was a gambler, alcoholic etc etc etc, his family would also suffer. It's not up to the government to protect his family, that's his job and his responsibility.

Yes LandR.we have just had a long and somewhat acrimonious debate about IB, a substantial part of which turned around the accuracy of the figures and statements made. Now we are haggling about this without thinking about the numbers. Who for example commits the most offences? That is the group to be hit hardest , regardless of income and family committments. This is just an elaborate piece of nonsense in which the courts beging to discriminate against the successful for the same crime as layabouts. Sorry, not on.

Speeding one suspects is a crime primarily committed by young drivers, so hit them hardest. Fine them, take away their licence yes, but also take away their cars.

Still needs accounting for though, unless they also print the notes !!!

We had a few financial problems at one stage and I remember the bank manager looking at my finances and saying 'and that leaves nothing for leisure activities' believe me - we already knew that ![6]

Still his condescending tone was appropriatley rewarded, the moment we had a balance worthy of the name we changed banks....[:)]

As regards the fines: in many cases if you let the amount over the speed limit indicate the level of fine is it possible that the higher fines would go to the wealthiest and most able to afford very fast cars, in any case ?

[quote user="LyndaandRichard"] (the quote button seems not to work at present).

[/quote]

Irritating isn't it. I think wooly gets some sort of strange pleasure out of this.

Just do the quote thing in the normal way then remove the comma from his name and it will post as normal.

Gary.

ps: It's not grammatically correct either.