fitted carpet

Firstly, thanks to the Conqueror for the information.  We didn't even know there was a carpet shop anywhere nearby.  In reply to Savdav, we have a house at Notre Dame du Touchet, and we returned on Tuesday, after a week of decorating and gardening!   One day we will actually have a holiday there!

• 2 weeks later...

I don't really have carpets, don't think I could live with them again either after tiles for so long. However, being  paradoxal I like carpet in my bedroom and went to look at some the other day.

I went into three different shops. The idea of a decent underfelt, (sure there is another name for that) was treat with shock. And did I know how much it would cost to fit an underfelt and a carpet that wasn't stuck down. As it was they wanted to charge me 15 euros a square meter to fit and stick down a wool carpet. St Maclou had the best deals really as the extra price per m² wasn't that much more than just the carpet and included fitting......... although I suspect that them coming out would be extra, as would the colle. So it looks like it will be St Maclou for us this time.

I appear to be allergic to floor tiles, I have no idea as to why that is. As I would lay them myself if I dared buy them.

Our nearest leroy merlin is miles and miles from here. I'm sure that we are well out of their rayon.  Last time I was in though I was quite impressed, they had some nice looking stuff that looked good quality and I bought a few things. It was not like that for the first few years after it opened. Nice to see it go up market somewhat.

[quote]Our nearest leroy merlin is miles and miles from here. I'm sure that we are well out of their rayon. Last time I was in though I was quite impressed, they had some nice looking stuff that looked good...[/quote]

The thing they really excel in is tiles! We were looking at tiles for our house in the UK at £40 a square metre, husband said quite rightly they were too expensive though absolutely ideal for our purpose. I being of a stubborn streak could not persuade myself to go for second best after those. So when we were in Leroy's last  and low and behold these same tiles were there and less than half the English price, I was thrilled. So we bought what we needed and have brought them back bit by bit!

This trip I am after a special light fitment and am going to look there first.

Ah tiles, I'm looking for some at the moment. Boite a Outils is far better value than Casto, Leroymerlin is too far to go and look.

I used to have a friend who had a business selling tiles. Certainly as a small business, well not that small, she still didn't have the turn over to get the best deals with the fabricants. Seems pretty normal that we could buy cheaper tiles here, or in France or Spain. I may want one carpet, but I am more than aware what dirty filthy things they are. Tiles, wouldn't want to be without them.

Underlay!  Now that seems to be a bit of a mystery to the French.  A French friend of ours, who had lived in the UK for a while and felt that English carpets always looked better than French, due mainly to the good quality underlays we have, went to the expense of hiring a van and taking a day trip to Portsmouth to get hers!!

Mmmm, lovely soft carpet underfoot, heaven!  Not very french though, sadly.

I always found carpet very easy to keep clean, a weekly run over with a hoover (not one of those silly "pull-it-along-like-an-uncontrollable-puppy-on-a-leash" things, but a good stout upright model).  Nowadays I have lovely chestnut parquet floors, not too hard to keep clean either.

But the next house is having under-floor heating (and fella prefers tiles anyway) so tiles it will have to be.  So my question is, what is the best way for someone of a slightly idle disposition (me) to keep them clean. Please don't tell me that they have to be swept every day   And you have to sweep before you wash them don't you, so you end up having to cover the same area twice?  Or is there a special do-dah that kills both birds with one stone? I know it sounds idiotic, but I've just never had tiled floors before, and life is too short to be spending half of it cleaning them

[quote]Ah tiles, I'm looking for some at the moment. Boite a Outils is far better value than Casto, Leroymerlin is too far to go and look. I used to have a friend who had a business selling tiles. Certainly...[/quote]

In the winter, underfloor heating is just magic with terracotta tiles!

[quote]Mmmm, lovely soft carpet underfoot, heaven! Not very french though, sadly. I always found carpet very easy to keep clean, a weekly run over with a hoover (not one of those silly "pull-it-along-like-...[/quote]

I hate housework too, so rule one is do not have plainish white tiles have terracotta, they do not show the grime! I hoover mine before washing them! I have one of these industrial Karcher, banana, yellow jobs!

Cat46

The bad news about tiles is that yes, you cover the same ground twice!   First you have to either hoover or sweep all the dust-bunnies up (they appear very quickly), then oh joy, out with the bucket and mop.   Or serpillère and broom/rubber-blade thing.   Or Swiffer, if you watch adverts.

Happy cleaning!

[quote]Cat46 The bad news about tiles is that yes, you cover the same ground twice! First you have to either hoover or sweep all the dust-bunnies up (they appear very quickly), then oh joy, out with the b...[/quote]

Over the course of the years, I have come to the conclusion that I am not a domestic goddess!

It isn't rocket science is it really. True one has to sweep or vac before washing tiles and the water hopefully isn't really too grubby either when one has finished. But that muck that one washes up stays in the carpet. Doesn't actually take long for a carpet to be unclean, even if they look clean.

Carpets are mucky filthy things and I still want one in my bedroom, the only place in the house that I do.

[quote]It isn't rocket science is it really. True one has to sweep or vac before washing tiles and the water hopefully isn't really too grubby either when one has finished. But that muck that one washes up s...[/quote]

Another good tip about washing tiled floors is to wash them just before you come to bed and make sure you are the last up because sure as eggs is eggs in the daytime everyone will descend on you and your pristine, cleanly washed floor will revert to a mud puddle!

• 2 months later...
Bit late with this reply but just got back from 34 where we are installing under-tile central heating, much to the bemusement of the locals who haven't got it in France yet (probably won't get it either; cost of electricity being what it is I don't think it would be very popular). We just want it for warming up spring and autumn visits and because it seemed a shame not to as we were tiling anyway. Neighbours very impressed and think it might cure their damp vestibule (they think there's an underground stream). We also had to take some piccalilli for them. Nice to know Anglo-French cultural exchanges aren't all one way!

While there I also, like a previous member, discovered the yellow and black Karcher thingy in Castorama. It cost about £30.00 and is charged up from the mains. Very light, like a carpet sweeper, but perfect for tiles and saves lugging the vacuum cleaner upstairs. It's made my cleaning routine very much easier.

What are these poxy settings and why can't I send my message?

I know lots of french people, in fact I only know french people with under tile central heating. So what is so special about yours?

Next to the ketchup in the supermarkets around here as a normal product...... piccalili, isn't it easily available everywhere? NB We can't really buy english food around here.

You're probably thinking about underfloor heating using water pipes which are cheaper to run and therefore more suitable for all year round use. But I think they are quite a major investment and probably have to be installed professionally, whereas our undertile heating is just mats which are embedded in concrete and then tiled over - a DIY job.

As for our English piccalilli, I really don't know why they asked us to bring some over for them, my French is not good enough. Perhaps they said something completely different -come to think of it they did look a bit bemused when we gave it to them. You've got me worried now.

I'm pleased I asked, I 've never heard of that system before.The people I know have the system with pipes under their tiles as you said. One friend put normal radiators in later as she said that the underfloor heating gave her headaches, but I suspect that it was her philandering husband that was doing that really. We've stayed in a few places with it and I really like it.

I wonder what they asked for if it wasn't piccalili? let's face it, it looks rather like something you'd find in a baby's nappy and if it wasn't that, then it must have been a surprise. Maybe it isn't available all over France, but with it being with the normal things rather than speciality here I assumed, maybe wrongly.

Good tale to dine out on though if it was wrong though isn't it.

[quote]I'm pleased I asked, I 've never heard of that system before.The people I know have the system with pipes under their tiles as you said. One friend put normal radiators in later as she said that the u...[/quote]

We have the water version, it was in our house when we bought it. It is lovely in winter to have warm terracotta tiles! However, someone did say they had heard it was not good for varicose veins! It is true to life that there is always someone who wants to pick holes!