Another SAT NAV question

Pierre ZFP

A small SAT NAV question please.  I couldn't get a straight answer from staff in the 'Shiney Things' shops in either side of the channel.

My question is a small matter of how directions are given.  For example, my NAVMAN says things like 'In 500 metres, turn right', nice and relaxed and giving pleanty of warning.   I have also  been in a car with something other than NAVMAN (I don't know what) which said     'TURN RIGHT! in 500 metres', a bit strident and I didn't like it at all.

I much prefer the first example so could those of you with Tom Tom/Garmin/Other Satnavs kindly let me know which style yours say?

The reason for this is that I'm probably getting one for OH for Christmas and whilst I know I could just buy a Navman I would like to compare prices/features but the main requirement is simply the style of directions.

Many thanks

I have a Garmin and much prefer the female voice over the male. My old Magellan, bought in the USA  had an American female with a lovely voice. We called her Loretta.

Tom Tom have downloads of voices that range from John Cleese to Elvis Presley.

Daniel calls our TomTom "Pandora" - woman in a box or summat.

Years ago, I had one of the first talking cars (remember the MG Montego?) that was female and used to say things like "handbrake on". I gather that they had to reprogram "her" for the German market because their market researchers said that German men wouldn't accept instruction from a female voice......

With Tomtoms (don't know about others) you can change the voices very easily, there are some soft voices, harsh voices, some a little rude, others quite explicit, there are 1 or 2 that are incredibly funny (for a while anyway). My "manchester lass" says, "Go straight over the roundabout, no I mean straight over the roundabout. Trash those geraniums, and that hythyncia, they're only the councils you know." and "Thank God for that, you've arrived at your destination, and I've got something to tell you, I think I might be pregnant with YOUR baby, shall we have a fag?).

Ozzy Ozbourne (swearing) version is funny for a short while, as is John Cleese.

Having used several satnav’s over the last few years I’d say TomTom models are the most customisable and have the easiest to use menus.  The wide range of “voices” allows you choose one with the right amount of “authority”…..

In addition to the TomTom examples Gosub has given, some models (I’ve got a GO910) tell you the name of the road, for example “at the end of the road, turn left, High Street” or “follow M6 for 25 miles”.  At a roundabout it says “After 500 yards, cross the roundabout 2nd exit”.  On some roundabouts you get an “exit now” (or it might be “take the exit”) instruction which can be helpful on big roundabouts with lots of exits.

A lot of shops have them wired up so you can try them out and hear how the instructions are given.

You should also have a look at how easy it is to enter the destination, find something like a station or retail park, select options like fastest or shortest route and how easy it is to get it on and off the mount.  Also have a look at how much map updates cost.

I’ve found this website useful:  http://www.yournav.com/

I bought a Tomtom 920T about 9 months back and I am very happy with it.

The thing I like about Tomtom is that inside the box you get a update number. This means you get one free update of a brand new set of maps FOC so your new Tomtom will have the absolute latest set of maps when you buy it even if its old stock.

I like the Tomtom Go software as well which keeps your Tomtom up to date both software and maps.

You need to be a bit careful with these maps updates. Tomtom have a service called Map Share which are regular updates to your current map set that have been created by fellow Tomtom users, verified and then posted for upload. This is NOT a new map set just updates to your current map set.

They now do a system to keep you up to date which is a quarterly charge for which you receive a complete new set of maps several times a year. When I did a check on my unit it works out about £1 more than paying the full amount upfront for a new map set, but at least you are paying over the year and not all in one go, not so painful on the old pocket. I think that being able to update your map is very important and the Tomtom Go software makes it very easy.

There are other free services like downloading different voices plus Points of Interest that people have created. I have one for all the beaches on the Med plus all the Cathar Castles. Theres one for all the WW1 and WW2 battle sites if you are into that sort of thing. Its worth having a look on their website.

In answer to the very first question mine is distance followed by turn until you get to the turn when it says "Turn right now". The latest maps also show lanes in duel carriageways and motorways which is helpful.

Brilliant!  Thank you all for the information and advice.  I quite like my Navman but at least I now have the option of looking at other makes .  I will only be getting a basic model as anything else will be wasted on OH.

I'm going to have to find out what make it was that gave direction then distance, crazy way of doing it!

You can also download traffic cameras as points of interest either from TomTom or from http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/ which I prefer at a cost of around £20 a year. They cover all of Europe. With pocketgpsworld you can also dowload voice warnings instead of bells and whistles but only for UK cameras. It tells you, for example, "Gatso ahead" and the speed limit so that you can make sure that you are driving safely! A bit fiddly when you first download the POI but after that it is simplicity itself.

I have a TomTom 910 and have just bought my wife a TomTom One XL which is a huge improvement on the 910 - works much the same in a very user friendly way but the unit is slimmer (and fits in your pocket) and the screen mount is much better.It is also very much less expensive. Only downside is that it has only Western Europe mapping but that is all I need at present. The 910 can have other maps added so when I next go to Australia I will either download it on the 910 or get an SD expansion card for the ONE.

Andy

Firstly Quillan, where do I get hold of the info for the Cathar castles please??

With the TomTom there is a freebe programme written by a Dutch guy that interfaces Google maps with the TomTom and lets you plan your route on the maps and download them to the TT.

http://www.janboersma.nl/gett/index.php

I've used it for ages and given it to otheres who have been as impressed as me as to how easy it is to plan your route!!

"Firstly Quillan, where do I get hold of the info for the Cathar castles please??"

If you have Tom Tom Home installed, go to "Add Maps/Traffic/Voices etc." then choose "Points Of Interest", to cut down the choices available, choose France in the drop down menu.

Thank you sub! That's the 1st time I've looked at that lot and now I have the chateauxs on me TT ta! I will have to have a look at what else s there too...

One thing about the Tyre programme is that you can programme in a circular route for a day out and include the points of interest on the way...I didn't know that you could use Mich to transfere to yer TT? Very usefull for a long journey!!

[quote user="gosub"]"Firstly Quillan, where do I get hold of the info for the Cathar castles please??"

If you have Tom Tom Home installed, go to "Add Maps/Traffic/Voices etc." then choose "Points Of Interest", to cut down the choices available, choose France in the drop down menu.
[/quote]

Thanks for that I have just got back from shopping and started to look it up then saw your post.

The TomTom Home softeware works on all TomToms, if you don't have a lead you can use a normal USB to mini USB cable to connect your TomTom to your computer.