INTRODUCTIONS

hi

can you please advise on how to initially introduce yourselves to the neighbours, we are going to visit our property in 2 weeks,it will be ours finally in about 8 weeks.any advice is greatly received.many thanks to all

graham 

Rather than knock on the door, I was waiting to see our neighbours in the garden and introduce ourselves. As it was, the previous owner had told them we were coming and they introduced themselves when we were in our garden! Perhaps you could ask the current owner could take you around. After a couple of months we invited them around for an aperitif, which seemed to go well. We provided Kir and nibbles.

Enjoy!!

Rather than knock on the door, I was waiting to see our neighbours in the garden and introduce ourselves. As it was, the previous owner had told them we were coming and they introduced themselves when we were in our garden! Perhaps you could ask the current owner could take you around. After a couple of months we invited them around for an aperitif, which seemed to go well. We provided Kir and nibbles.

Enjoy!!

We moved into a small hamlet of 5 houses all inhabited by elderly French who, our agent told us, were a bit concerned about having foreigners move in and what we would do to the place, how much noise we would make, and, most importantly to them, whether we would stop or reroute their access along the chemin which goes through our garden etc.

This was four years ago before many English had moved into the village and apparently an American guy had paid a deposit for our cottage but pulled out of the deal due to visa problems. Anyway, we bought little bags of goodies from Marks and Spencers (M&S had a store in Paris at that time and were well known but totally inaccessible to the rural Charentais). We visited everyone with the little gifts ( too small for embarrassment) shook hands and introduced ourselves in the best French we could muster. I have a dim memory of downing several small glasses of Pineau at each cottage!! We have got on very well with all our neighbours ever since, we've helped them out when possible and they have helped us - in fact I've learnt most of my French, good and bad, from them!!

It can be difficult to just go up to someone's door, knock and say 'hi' even if your french is up to it. So I'd advise that you go to any social events held in the village, where you will meet people and be introduced. You'll be surprised how many people already 'know' who you are and which house you live in. Our first village event was the 8th May war memorial. This of course included drinks afterwards, and we met a lot of people there...after that it's a snowball effect!

I am with Alexis and Babnik on this one.

"Smile and wave" and go to any local events.

I am definitely in favour of the softly, softly and slowly but surely approach and wouldn't rush in with gifts even if they were very modest. You will be a curiosity and the locals will soon start to chat if you just say "bonjour" when you meet, believe me, it won't take long to get to know them.

Of course if there are immediate neighbours and you need to ask a question about your property, roof, walls, gardens etc. then knock at their door and introduce yourselves. If they are anything like our neighbours in our small village,  I am sure they will be friendly and more than willing to offer help.

Bon courage

Gill

hi ,

we have been here for 10 weeks our neigbours left us alone for 3 days ,then they came with "salad" spuds, wine ,french beans ,their dogs ect ect come for coffee at 4 pm , play it lay back, just love it here and the people ............just just......

just wished we could have had a bit longer with squeek.

so sad , still hurts ,

dave and olive and 2 cats

please fill in your own blanks .....................