Certificate of Conformity

nectarine

Silly question, but for my Suzuki Ignis (fab little car!) should I be asking for a CoC from Suzuki in England, or from Suzuki in France?  Price is about the same, but is there any difference in the information that is declared on the document?  Suzuki UK can do it quicker than France, it seems, but will this be accepted in France?

Apologies if this is a daft question but when you're doing things for the first time, you find it's the little details that throw you off course!

Interesting.  Hyundai (France) have told us to get one from Hyundai (UK) a) because it will be free; b) because a certificate from Hyundai (France) will be written in  ... English, anyway!

Will be interesting to see how this plays out. I understand that the Préfecture has the right to ask for translations of foreign language documents; but, based on experience so far - this will be the 5th vehicle I've re-registered - the Préfecture here in l'Hérault has a relaxed and efficient approach to the issuing of cartes grises.

Craig

I used to think the CoC had to be in French but was corrected by SD.

In the end it really shouldn't matter because it is more or less just a list of prescribed items which are common in both languages and just get compared to the database at the Prefecture.

I don't have one to hand but I think if you look on the inside of the V5 it lists all the categories and may even include the relevant information, in effect a CoC for UK. The French CoC will cover similar but with variations/inclusion/exclusions as appropriate. Here for instance is a copy of the CoC for my MG which was perfectly acceptable for registration and if you compare it to the V5 which follows you'll see the similarities.

[IMG]http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p123/biskitboyo/CofC1.jpg[/IMG]

[img]http://www.mgf.ultimatemg.com/group1/info/car_tax/images/v5c_large.JPG[/img]

[quote user="cooperlola"]

Skoda France refused to provide a CofC so I got it from the UK.  No probs at prefecture.  Landrover UK refused to issue CofC so I got it from France.  No probs at prefecture. (both vehicles originally registered in the UK.)

[:-))]

[/quote]

LOL!  [:D]

[quote user="cooperlola"]Skoda France refused to provide a CofC so I got it from the UK.  No probs at prefecture.  Landrover UK refused to issue CofC so I got it from France.  No probs at prefecture. (both vehicles originally registered in the UK.)[:-))][/quote]

Mercedes France and Mercedes UK both gave me the run-around and refused to issue a CoC for my Smart. I had to call Mercedes Germany to get it. They did it FOC.

thank you for replies and just to update you.  Suzuki UK have already sent me one out in the post, the day after I requested it (and hadn't even paid, but promised to do by bank transfer ... the guy took my word for it that I'd paid and said "I trust you".).  So I should get it in a day or four which is excellent, as a friend had to wait three weeks for Citroen (France) to process hers. 

Now I just have to approach Nissan, and Vauxhall, ... oh and don't mention the kit cars.  Registering them is going to be one whole barrels of laughs and grey hairs !

yep, a Blackjack Avion (2CV engine) and a Blackjack Zero (Moto Guzzi engine).   Take a look at the website, www.blackjackzero.com ...... they are enormous fun to drive!  Registering them, now I know it can be done but I am steeling myself for the dozens of visits to the prefecture, etc., that I know this is going to take. 

Hey ErnieY, if you're in this area, do you fancy a drive?

I applied twice to the DRIRE, once for a UK Vauxhall Corsa and once for a UK Saab 9000, for the necessary CoC - took a couple of weeks each time but was considerably cheaper at about €67, than the €100++ that the manufacturers charge. Having said that a friend got a CoC for his Landrover in French from his English dealer for free!! Like many things, it often seems to be pot luck!

[quote user="merliauds"] Like many things, it often seems to be pot luck!
[/quote]

Very true... Suzuki UK provided a free CoC for my Grand Vitara despite it being nominally second hand (pre-registered to dealer), yet a friend here is being charged €100+ by Suzuki UK for the CoC for his bought-new Suzuki moto... Another friend here approached the UK dealer that sold him his secondhand Vitara and obtained a free CoC for his five-year-old car... !

Incidentally my CoC was in English, issued by the Canadian company that builds the soft-tops for Suzuki, referred to 'no changes needed for left-hand traffic countries' (less than 4 years old at the time so no CT needed to confirm correct headlight dip) and was accepted without quibble at the sous-prefecture at Saintes ! (And, yes, I have changed the headlights to right-dip!)

The CoC for my BMW moto was also provided free by BMW UK (in German) and again accepted by the sous-prefecture without any confirmation of headlight aim.

Both of my free CoCs were obtained by starting with the supplying dealer, and I think it pays to go to them first on on the lines of 'can you please supply me with the European CoC that I should have received with my car/motorcycle..' Some will respond, some not. Pot luck? Definately!

Just to muddy the waters - there wasn't any info on the CoCs that wasn't on the V5c, but the sous prefecture turned both down until I produced the CoCs!