Buying car in UK.

darcey

Hi,

My Mother-in-law is resident in France and looking to buy a car in England and take back to France permanently. I understand this may not be ideal for everyone, but are there any pitfalls/expenses to doing this other than registering as stated in the faq's?

Many thanks for your help.

Darcey

Biggest problem is do not register a car, that is less than 6 months old and 6000 km if you have paid taxes on it in UK, 'cos you will be charged TVA in France.  Hence my Grand Scenic was 6 mths 3 days old and in excess of 6000 km - Lady at Melle Tax Office had a good chk then recheck of age (using her fingers)!!

One of the 'pitfalls' may be the fact that the steering wheel is on the wrong side, this depends on how she feels about driving such a vehicle, an associated pitfall is the resulting lack of second hand value should she wish to change the car without taking it back to uk and re-registering it.

I do not altogether see the problem with selling a RHD car in France. Used cars are incredibley expensive in France and I am sure there is always a British person looking who does not mind RHD and would relish the opportunity to buy a car with French plates and all the right papers.

The only people who really have a problem with it are those who like to drive three metres behind a lorry whilst constantly popping out to see if the road is clear to overtake. Quite often these drivers are themselves ovetaken by a much less powerful vehicle whose driver has sat well back and chosen their moment with care.

And if you are thinking of using a UK agent to buy a LHD car, you might want to read this:

http://forums.french-property.com/day-to-day-life-f12/warning-when-buying-a-left-hand-drive-car-t1475.htm

I know nothing about the dealer mentioned, other than what I have read on the above post.