Periferique Easter Sunday afternoon

sueyh

I did this one perhaps 3 years ago. It was very busy indeed where I was, with very long tailbacks.

Mainly because I was blocking the inside lane due to my trailer having 50% less wheels than normal. Traffic had been flowing freely up till then.

No sorry only done it at 4-30 pm on Boxing day, if it had not rained and there had not been two accidents it would have been just like driving round Toulouse but different.[blink]. 

Seriously, how can anybody answer this question and what relevance is anyone else's experiences? 

Traffic conditions on the perepherique change by the minute.[8-)] If you have a problem with driving round Paris or think you might, go via Rouen and use the A28 to Calais.............. or let your husband drive[:-))].

Ron - This is a perfectly decent question, asking about road conditions on a festival day.

Suzy - In France, Good Friday (Vendredi Sainte) is not a Public Holiday but Easter Monday (Lundi de Pacques) is.  As a result, the roads in France aren't as clogged up that weekend as in the UK.  The Peripherique is a bit like the M25 - hit and miss as to when you get hold ups.  Personally, if you can avoid driving around Paris, I would.

Post edited by the moderators, as it was found to breach the forum code of conduct.

Men are from Mars and Women are from Venus, different orbits, a bit like the M25 and the Peripherique, only we didn't ask for directions [:D]

It was a vague question from a Mens perspective, are you going clockwise or anti clockwise round the Peripherique? it makes a huge difference.

That said Sunday is usually quiet.

Cathy what did you say [:-))]

[quote user="Cathy"]

Ron - This is a perfectly decent question, asking about road conditions on a festival day.

Post edited by the moderators, as it was found to breach the forum code of conduct.

[/quote]

Well that is your opinion and I have posted mine.  However, our concensus is its hit and miss and you don't know anymore than anyone else would.  So the point of your post was to tell the OP who is travelling on Sunday that Good Friday is not a bank holiday?

[quote user="teapot"]

Men are from Mars and Women are from Venus, different orbits, a bit like the M25 and the Peripherique, only we didn't ask for directions [:D]

It was a vague question from a Mens perspective, are you going clockwise or anti clockwise round the Peripherique? it makes a huge difference.

That said Sundays is usually quiet.

[/quote]

Except when PSG or Stade Francais are at home or there is a trade fair or an accident or its raining or road works.

You can always rely on Ron Avery to come up with an answer to make you feel very small and not too bright. Don't worry Ron my husband will be driving! It must feel so good to be one so perfect!!!

We drove down via Rouen and as I am the navigator I just wanted to look at the options. We are returning to the Pas de Calais from Spain via an overnight stop at Issoire.

Thanks to the others for your help.

Suey

Seious answer to a reasonable question - AVOID THE PERIFERIQUE LIKE THE PLAGUE!!! our experiences range from taking 4 hours ( rabbits overtook us on the verge at one point) to a frightening traffic jam at 100mph, and I'm an experienced confident driver.

We always do as most people 'in the know' and use the Rouen , Dreux, Chartres route and have always found it to be free running.If you choose that route you will be amazed by the number of brit cars. They havealso in recent years upgraded the roads so most of it is Duel Carriageway. Also as it is a Sunday = No Lorries, well very few

Good luck and bon voyage

As we are leading friends home, who used the periferique coming down we just wondered which was the better route. We always use the Rouen route and seasoned travellers have advised us to use that route. So as you can imagine after the advice from the kind people on the forum have advised I think we will use our usual route. Thanks again. Suey

Had a great journey, took peoples advice and came up via Chartres, Dreux, Rouen, Abbeville.  Very clear, as you say lots of Brits.  From Issoire to near Frevent it took us seven and a quarter hours including stops for exercising the dogs.

Thanks again to all.

Suey