Question for the boys - purchase of a new car

Gemonimo

[quote user="AnOther"][quote user="Gemonimo"]I plan on visiting friends in Montenegro, Spain and Poland[/quote]I think you've just at least partly sunk your own argument for wanting a French car.

[/quote]

Only a little visit AnO, I'm not planning on living there! But you may be right... something more 'poly-european' perhaps.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank goodness for that ! We've had a Citroen Visa, BX (several, and still my favorite). ZX and now Picasso and I have to say they have been pretty trouble free although we do get them serviced etc. The problem cars I have had have been Vauxhalls :-(

My daughter had a  Ford Fiesta and changed it for a VW Golf which she is very happy with

[quote user="Gemonimo"]I checked out whatcar, Benjamin and now I'm even more confused.  I think I have to have a little lie down....[/quote]

Which just goes to show why you came on to the forum to ask in the first place. It's a complicated decision getting rid of huge amounts of money. Don't be rushed. [:D]

[quote user="Benjamin"][quote user="Gemonimo"]I checked out whatcar, Benjamin and now I'm even more confused.  I think I have to have a little lie down....[/quote]

Which just goes to show why you came on to the forum to ask in the first place. It's a complicated decision getting rid of huge amounts of money. Don't be rushed. [:D]

[/quote]

Most women dont seem to have this problem, you could follow their example and say "I like the (insert your favorite colour) one" [6]

Mind you why on earth did so many of you choose the early Twingos given the colour choices, caca d'oie being the most popular [8-)]

Up until recently, I'd never considered buying a Peugeot, my previous cars all being German - Mercedes Benz, Volkswagen and BMW.  A year ago, when the pompiers did a cabriolet conversion job on the BMW, I called into our local Peugeot dealer and found a one elderly owner, low mileage, three year old 307 Executive with automatic transmission (useful for Mrs Sunday's dodgy knees) and all the goodies possible.

Having signed the order, I decided to do a quick check of some UK car sites and found one detailing all the horror stories concerning the reliability of the 307.  Fortunately, most of the complaints related to the earlier model and owners of my newer version seemed to be less troubled.

That said, during the past year, the car has run perfectly with no problems at all.   It's now due it's annual service and now that the dealer guarantee has expired, my local general garagiste is going to do it for me.  He has a laptop with all the service/diagnostic software for all the major marques and he'll charge me less than the Peugeot dealer.  He looks after my Mercedes camper and my BMW motorcycle and the quality of his work is first class.

I could have paid a lot more money and bought the newly introduced 308, but it didn't offer me any real advantage over this 307 which has been an excellent car.

[quote user="Polly"]Hey, where are the mods on this?

I wasn't aware that this was a male only forum.

Does the OP assume only boys know about cars?

Cheek!
[/quote]

No, she knows better than that, Polly.  She just wants them to think that, is all..........[:D]

[quote user="teapot"]

You are so right, Mrs Teapot wants a seat ibiza because it the best looking of all the VW based small cars and the pale blue is the prettiest.

[/quote]

Is that the Seat range that participates in BTCC and WTCC ? In which case you may have to order extra deckchairs and carpets as well as some dangly things to decorate the internal scaffolding. Not sure about colours under all those sponsor panels.

John

[quote user="sweet 17"]

[quote user="Polly"]Hey, where are the mods on this?

I wasn't aware that this was a male only forum.

Does the OP assume only boys know about cars?

Cheek!
[/quote]

No, she knows better than that, Polly.  She just wants them to think that, is all..........[:D]

[/quote]

Actually, it was rather a sexist question and I did rather surprise myself..... pocket feminist that I am[Www] But in general, the average woman's eyes glaze over when conversation gets around to cars.  Now shoes, that's a different story altogether.

[quote user="Gemonimo"]

Actually, it was rather a sexist question and I did rather surprise myself..... pocket feminist that I am[Www] But in general, the average woman's eyes glaze over when conversation gets around to cars.  Now shoes, that's a different story altogether.

[/quote]

Shoes bore me to tears as I have very narrow feet, also quite long so choice is v limited unless I wear 2 pairs of walking socks inside them. Not v sexy (or comfy) with high heels.

Wassa pocket feminist ?

ps

OH has just finally agreed with me that not only did my car have a petrol pump problem, but the carb needed sorting too.

Polly, a pocket feminist is a someone who believes in feminism but only when it suits her[Www]  And there was I owning up to being one.  My feminist cred has just gone down the tubes...... 

Pierre, what if I want a silver car with go faster red stripes, a dice attached to the retroviseur and a soft, furry steering wheel?

[quote user="Gemonimo"] 

Pierre, what if I want a silver car with go faster red stripes, a dice attached to the retroviseur and a soft, furry steering wheel?

[/quote]

There's any other kind .........? [blink]