Reversing lights

allanb

One of the things I don't like about my car is the feeble reversing lights. In the dark it's quite difficult to reverse even in my own driveway, either in or out - and I have to do one or the other.

I asked my dealer whether he could sell me any higher-wattage bulbs that would fit. He said no, and also that I shouldn't fit them even if I found some. He didn't say why: just "it wouldn't work".  The car's an Audi, if it makes any difference, but I would have thought the principle would be the same for any car.

If the dealer's right, can anyone explain why? I'm not looking for a huge increase in wattage.  If it means fitting a slightly higher-rated fuse, is that bad?

In the UK there is a maximum wattage allowed so maybe it's the same in France.

On our rally cars we used to fix an Cibie oscar for reversing

You could try ordering some replacement lamps like LED's that don't break wattage rules as they don't to my knowledge rate lamps for vehicles in lumens, otherwise HID's would be outlawed.

If the existing bulbs are standard single pole bayonet fitting they should be 21watts. I dont think you can get higher wattage bulbs than this in this fitting so the first thing to do is check the power of the ones you already have .

If they are less than 21watts then you can there is no reason why you shouldn't uprate them.

cheminot

[quote user="Dog"]They are not for seeing by they are to warn the world you are in reverse.[/quote]I think you're barking, where on earth did you get that idea from ?

Don't you think that if that were the case then they would be obligatory for CT and UK MOT which they are not ?

[quote user="AnOther"][quote user="Dog"]They are not for seeing by they are to warn the world you are in reverse.[/quote]I think you're barking...[/quote]

I didn't want to put it quite so strongly.

But it seems to me that if you're about to reverse in the dark, it's useful to be able to see if there's someone behind you, not just to issue a warning and hope for the best.

By the way, thanks to Google, I now know that in the UK you can have not more than 2 reversing lights with a maximum of 24 watts each (The Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989).  I haven't found the French equivalent but I think I'll just assume that it's the same.

[quote user="allanb"]I didn't want to put it quite so strongly.[/quote]It's a joke, Dog - Barking - gettit [:D]

I didn't know about the regulation but perhaps I could have put the point differently, i.e. in the terms of the actual non obligatory reversing lights fitted to the vast majority of cars 21w is the maximum  wattage bulb commonly available in that particular bayonet fitting so in that sense a regulation prohibiting something which to all practical intents and purposes is impossible anyway would seem superfluous.

[quote user="allanb"][quote user="AnOther"][quote user="Dog"]They are not for seeing by they are to warn the world you are in reverse.[/quote]I think you're barking...[/quote]

I didn't want to put it quite so strongly.

But it seems to me that if you're about to reverse in the dark, it's useful to be able to see if there's someone behind you, not just to issue a warning and hope for the best.

By the way, thanks to Google, I now know that in the UK you can have not more than 2 reversing lights with a maximum of 24 watts each (The Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989).  I haven't found the French equivalent but I think I'll just assume that it's the same.

[/quote]

Think you will find that the domestic regulations are formulated on the

back of EC directives, consequently there SHOULD be a common standard

throughout Europe on all lights, including reversing lamps.  Also found

this in the 1989 Lighting Regulations as it applies in the UK:

An e within a rectangle indicates a device which

has been approved to an EEC Directive. (European Economic Community,

based in Brussels.)

The number within the circle or

rectangle beside the E or e is the distinguishing number of the country

that issued the approval. 11 stands for the United Kingdom.

Its weird that I, a confirmed rule getarounder should be posting this to a forum stuffed with rule seekers and followers but yes the vehicle construction and use regulations do prohibit the use of bulbs of more than a certain wattage for reversing lights.

It is indeed to avoid dazzling vehicles behind and for the same reason there is the regulation that no white light should shine to the rear, this is why you can be nicked for having a partially broken rear light lens and why reversing lights must now be automatically activated, i.e. you are not permitted to have a manual switch as in the olden days before automatic reversing lights.

Given that the laws were written many years ago and limit the wattage of the bulb not the luminous intensity like the RAC blue book then you should consider one of the high powered LED ones that are now available.

IMHO reversing lights are not really powerfull enough to safely manouevre at night especially when it is dark behinnd but there is some ambient street ilumination ahead and around, that said the limit and the restrictions on placement of reversing lights are for good safety reasons.

[quote user="dave21478"]Disregarding the rules and arguments for a minute, fitting bulbs of different wattage, or LED based lamps may well affect the functioning of any bulb-failure warning system the car may have.

[/quote]

Ha ha ha ha ha,

If the reversing light bulb fails how will you know?

Oh yes! you won't be able to see any more [:D][:P]

[quote user="JohnRoss"]I suppose you don't have an earthing fault making them dim, are the brake and rear lights ok? You often see cars with earthing faults that cause the brake or rear lights to pulse when the flashers are going....................JR[/quote]

Yes they are called Fords [:D]

On my first Mini Cooper which I rallied I had a Lucas foglight on the boot door and a Lucas swiveling roof lamp. The rear fog was great for fast reversing and the roof lamp was great for just about everything. Are they still ok to have these days?

[quote user="JMB"]On my first Mini Cooper which I rallied I had a Lucas foglight on the boot door and a Lucas swiveling roof lamp. The rear fog was great for fast reversing and the roof lamp was great for just about everything. Are they still ok to have these days?[/quote]

H3 20 watt cibié would probably be ok, them were the days [:)]

Remember when marshalling on rallies featuring Minni's having to stand well back at the check points as the navigators could fit the boards out the sliding windows so the doors use to fly open.

[quote user="Dog"]

Couldn't you buy the wife a torch - she can get out of the car and guide you backwards.

This is what wives are for. The more wives the merrier and better illumination.

[/quote]

Don't know if I will get away with this ? but I will risk it.     You could kill two birds with one stone