7" dia headlights

RicandJo

I'm trying to get the Jeep back on the road but I need to change the lights.  When I go to, say, NorAuto they ask me for the make and model - I tell them 1979 Jeep CJ and guess what - blank looks.....

All I need is a standard, 7"dia lens.  They MUST be available!....

Do any of you know of a French marque which uses such headlights, so I can tell them "the same as........"

Help appreciated!

Ciao ciao

MK1 Golf lights have unique fittings so it's unlikely that they will fit any other vehicle, or at least nothing outwith the marque.

Most 60's & 70's British cars were fitted with identical 7" headlights and RH dip versions of these are freely available, although whether these will fit the Jeep in question I couldn't say.

EDIT:

If they are housed in a bowl and retained with a ring, as in this piccie of a Mini's headlight, then they are common garden Lucas (or equivalent) 7" units.

Try HERE, Steve the proprietor knows his stuff.

[img]http://www.ocoop.com/images/angel/Mini-Headlamp-removal.gif[/img]

Thanks all,

I have bought loads of stuff from Morris Jeep in the past - their halogen conversions are way over priced though.  I fitted the same conversion to the CJ (L dipping obviously) and my BGT when I had it, they cost me £36 for each pair from Halfrauds.

The CJ lights are the same fit as most 60's-70's vehicles, for example the BGT lenses were identical to the lenses I fitted to the CJ.

I'll try NorAuto again with a headlight which I have removed from the CJ, hopefully I'll have some luck, if not there's a place in UK which will supply R dippers http://www.s-v-c.co.uk

Rgds,

Ric

[quote user="AnOther"]

MK1 Golf lights have unique fittings so it's unlikely that they will fit any other vehicle, or at least nothing outwith the marque.

[/quote]

Sorry, but you're wrong,  they are standard, three-screw fitting 7" units.

http://www.sel-imperial.co.uk/partimages/1294.jpg

Sorry BB that doesn't look like a standard 3 screw fit to me and the lights I had in my MK1 Cabrio were most definitely not the same fitting as an MGB's which Ric mentioned he'd previously used. My Cabrio was 1990 but I don't believe that would have made them any different.

NorAuto are defininately the Halfrauds in France find your local spit and sawdust carparts factor.

After finding my local independent carparts shoppe they are a breath of fresh air they will even bargain on price! I recently wanted an O ring for a plug - none of the plumbing shops or  DIY shops had them in the size I wanted and the nearest sizes were 4 or 5 euros for three. I went to the carparts shop and he had the right size and gave me 3 for FREE!

Nope. As much as I wanted to buy them locally I give up. Ordered from svc in uk with shipping to France. I wasn't ignoring AnOther he just edited his post after my reference to svc.

Anyway cheers for the help. Now all I have to do is finish the power steering conversion, go for a CT and hopefully be back on the road for summer.

• 3 weeks later...
HI,

We're just importing a 1991 Suzuki SJ413 4X4 and needed to change the lights, I fitted MGB lights. The complete kit (light mount, bowls) came to £100 as opposed to 287€ from Suzuki.

Now if only I can get a Full Certificate Of Comformity from Suzuki!!!

[quote user="tasng4"] Now if only I can get a Full Certificate Of Comformity from Suzuki!!![/quote]

No need to go to Suzuki.  there are no shortage of SJ's in France.  As long as it's not a grey import then fill out this form http://www.poitou-charentes.drire.gouv.fr/vehicules/RTI/7-5-2RCR19.pdf send to your local DRIRE with a cheque for whatever it is (68 Euro I think) and they'll send you back your C of C.  If they can't then they'll just return the form and your cheque.  Nothing to lose really!

Thanks for the info but I'd already downloaded the form from the 'sticky' on importing cars. We'll compl;ete it once we've heard from Suzuki about getting our money back as we asked for a CoC not a partial one........we're not holdoing our breath though.