A16 - Speed Camera?

Paul King

Hi All,

I was just leaving the last peage on the A16 tonight (it was almost dark) heading towards Eurotunnel and just after I cleared the bridge which directly follows the peage as you approach the slight incline I noticed a flash and a policeman standing on the side – could he have had some form of held hand speed camera? Does anyone know the speed limit over the bridge as I had my cruise control set at 100km/h.

If it was a speed camera and the limit was less than 100 km/h can I expect a fine/points to my UK address? I was driving a UK registered car.

Many thanks for your thoughts.

Paul.

There is a section along there which is 90Kph.  In fact that whole section at the back of Calais it a bit of a mare with the limit changing several times up and down.  Depending exactly where you were, yes you could have been over the limit.   I suspect that is a favourite spot for speed cops.

I don't know if you can expect a letter, others will be along soon to advise

In a UK reg'd car if you were going to be fined you would have been stopped farther on.  There is no reciprocal agreement for speeding penalties for UK cars in France or French cars in the UK[:P]...........  Yet

The A26 is also popular with the gendarmes on Sundays for mobile checks from lay-bys and bridges in both directions near Calais.  Probably practicising for the summer[:D] 

Would it not be 130kmh and 110kmh in wet conditions?

I dont have cruise control but choose to drive at 100kmh for economy and to wind up the truckers with speed limiters.

There is a fixed speed camera on the section of what can best be described as the Calais by pass very near the Eurotunnel but unless it is not the A16 I use the last peage is many many miles before the tunnel and ferrys even though technically it is still peage.

Editted, I must be using the A1, I read from your posting that you are approaching the Eurotunnel from the Boulogne direction, in which case the fixed camera is after the Eurotunnel exit.

Sunday Driver – Many thanks for taking the time to confirm my error – I thought it was 110 kph, a lesson learnt for next time.

Polly – I like Chancer drive at 100kph for economy and truly thought the speed limit was 110kph.

Thank you all for your replies and time taken.

Paul.

[quote user="Bugsy"][quote user="nounours"]

There is no reciprocal agreement for speeding penalties for UK cars in France or French cars in the UK[:P]...........  Yet

[/quote]

Not for much longer though. [:)]
Click

[/quote]

Your linked report is dated 2008, so really getting on with it then[:$]

[quote user="nounours"][quote user="Bugsy"][quote user="nounours"]

There is no reciprocal agreement for speeding penalties for UK cars in France or French cars in the UK[:P]...........  Yet

[/quote]

Click

[/quote]

[/quote]

Planned for  2010 if you care to read the article. [:P]

Oh, and والسلام عليكم

[:P]

It is the points added to my UK licence that I worry about - can I assume as I wasn't stopped that no points will be added?

If say some UK registered car was stopped - I assume they have to pay the on-the-spot fine, but would they also get points added to their UK licence?

Thanks again.

[quote user="Paul King"]It is the points added to my UK licence that I worry about - can I assume as I wasn't stopped that no points will be added?

If say some UK registered car was stopped - I assume they have to pay the on-the-spot fine, but would they also get points added to their UK licence?

Thanks again.[/quote]

At present, no points on your UK licence and yes, a fine if on the spot. They might get a letter to you if you've been flashed by a static camera.

If you are driving a French-reg hire car (eg you picked one up from the airport) and you are caught speeding by a static camera, they will send the fine letter to the hire company who will usually chase you for it via your credit card.

[quote user="Paul King"]If say some UK registered car was stopped - I assume they have to pay the on-the-spot fine, but would they also get points added to their UK licence?

Thanks again.[/quote]

Not at the moment Paul, but its only a matter of time.

Thank you.

Just to close this one, is there any mapping service which you can enter your French journey into that will then tell you on the roads on which you will be travelling what the speed limits are? I have seen mapping tools which tell you where fixed cameras are to be found but not a service which tells you the speed limits? I'm just keen to not to miss another 90 kph sign in the future especially in the dark.

My Garmin 760 has a speed limit displayed on the screen in the form of a roadsign and I guess most fairly new Sat-Navs will have the same.

It works very well and changes almost instantly when you reach a speed limit change.

Also useful to set your cruise control too as most speedos over-read.

[quote user="Bugsy"][quote user="nounours"][quote user="Bugsy"][quote user="nounours"]

[/quote]

Click

[/quote]

[/quote]

Planned for  2010 if you care to read the article. [:P]

Oh, and والسلام عليكم
[:P]
[/quote] 

Thank you Gary but its not planned for this year either.so if you know the date, do tell!! 

[quote user="nounours"]

Wrong sex for a start JR!! 

J'etais ta petite amie en FRance mais maintenant je fais les livraisons de "neuclear waste" à Crawley.[:P] 

[/quote]

I was able to better understand you before you changed medication Ron, now you lose me completely.

I am genuinely glad to see you back though, long may you continue to push the limits without overstepping the mark [:)]

Even my old Tom-Tom One "bongs" if I go over the speed limit - should I chose to programme it to do so, that is.  However, much depends upon keeping it updated, and on the quality of the info' one is inputting.  Nothing beats keeping your eyes on the speed limit signs and even then it's possible to get caught out.  I can't see Europe getting their act together on the speeding thing either this year or next - can anybody else - really?

I see that our little teddy bear's secret is out then ...[Www]