French Driving License

Suninfrance

Yes, go to your Prefecture and fill in a form. Take the usual raft of documents with you and be prepared to be told they can't or won't if your UK one is not due to expire, they can and will if you insist.

Whether its free or not and how long you wait for the new licence is a pure post code lottery. In Cahors it took under a week and was free.

Can I ask why you want to change ?

Change is because OH's photo ID  License runs out at the beginning of July (they only last ten years and then rip-off britain wants money for a new one).  He's got the form D1 from the Post Office in England, but it clearly states that if you don't live permanently in England and you declare false info its 6 months in prison and a £2,000 fine.  Unless you know otherwise !!!!

That's correct unfortunately, no UK address = no replacement licence, although I'm sure many have winged it with a relatives address and got away with it. Truth be told I strongly doubt that anyone has ever been prosecuted for it.

As pachapapa says in case of an expiring licence you probably can do it via your Mairie but in other cases, given the high incidence of refusals because 'it's not necessary' I would recommend going straight to the Prefecture.

[quote user="Suninfrance"]Change is because OH's photo ID  License runs out at the beginning of July (they only last ten years and then rip-off britain wants money for a new one).  He's got the form D1 from the Post Office in England, but it clearly states that if you don't live permanently in England and you declare false info its 6 months in prison and a £2,000 fine.  Unless you know otherwise !!!!

[/quote]

Does it really say you have to live permanently in England?  If so I am really worried as I have a UK licence but don't live permanently in England!!  looks like prison for me just cos I live in Scotland then lol

I got the forms from the Mairie, then posted everything to the prefecture and the new licence came back within a week. Info online from your prefecture, eg Isere here: http://www.isere.pref.gouv.fr/sections/droits_et_demarches/?spl_c=546803&spl_f=N0/N530/F1758&spl_l=51&spl_p=

As an aside to this, we have changed our licences to French ones (the UK ones were running out).

Now we have decided to sell up and go back to England - can we just keep our French licences?

And, what will happen when (and if) we reach the ripe old age of 70?

So, as I read it, if and when I return to live in England, I will be able to drive in England on my French licence until I am 70 when I will have to do what "normal" British licence holders do when they reach that ripe old age.

(I did originally pass a driving test in UK and previously held a British licence)

[quote user="bubbles"]As a matter of interest, what is the time limit for being able to delete a post?[/quote]At a guess, a millesecond - I've never managed it.  Usually, some nice mod' comes along and deletes it if I just put "duplicate post deleted" or some such!