406 Peugeot 1997

WendyG

Hi

Some advice please.

Has anyone out there any experience of a 1997 Peugeot 406 2L turbo exec manual petrol saloon

My daughter has been offered one that has only done around 50,000 miles and has been well cared for.  It has 1 year MOT and new battery.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

WendyG

Any advice about what??? which hand to snap it off from? You don't mention the price so it's all open.

Peugeot Diesel engines are unbeatable on quality. The 406 has been around a few years so no surprise there.

Is the car coming with it's maintenance book? Do you know the seller etc. etc.

Probably the best car Peugeot have made to date. I have had two, both '97 diesel estates. Of course the petrol won't have the economy but they are well built and reliable. I went on to buy a 407, which is a definite case of style over substance, lots of warning buzzers and gadgets including a crude DVD based sat. nav. A lot more expensive to maintain and service than the 406.

A 13 year old petrol car with 50,000 miles. I would not touch it with a bargepole. Either the mileage is suspect or it has spent its life doing short journeys, the worst thing that you could do to a petrol engine.

A reasonable assumption and I agree that such low mileage should be viewed with caution but for all we know it could have been used for infrequent trips to Paris and back and not necessarily abused with daily 2km shopping trips. EDIT: Sorry UK car of course (MOT) so not Paris but similar applies.

Not conclusive by any means but the fact that it has passed an MOT

emission test is a reasonable indication that there is nothing

seriously wrong with the engine.

If the price is right then I wouldn't dismiss it but definitely have it properly checked over and certainly do not be conned into paying a premium for the low mileage.

I have a 406 Diesel which has only done 85000 miles. It was probably the best car I have ever bought, so reliable and a dream to drive. Reluctantly I have had to sell it due to a permanent move to France and I am missing it already!!!