Car battery cactussed

Mr Coeur de Lion

Is it dead? I only ask as I had a motorbike with an alarm fitted, and the alarm would take very tiny bit out of the battery. I brought two new batteries then someone suggested an Optimate trickle charger. Not only does it keep my battery topped up, even though the bike sits for months on end, but it "brought back" the other two batteries.

If you know someone with a trickle charger, it may be worth trying.

Try to locate a local scrap-yard (Casse Auto in Pages Jaunes) you can get one there for little money. The only importance in the baterry is the Ampere Hour ...Ah...(which indicates the strength of the battery as you don't want to fit a 45Ah to a diesel car that needs 60Ah or more to crank) the dimension in itself is not that important as long as the unit does not rattle when travelling.

[quote user="Théière"]

Ericd, just off topic for a moment, Is it true the Pompiers take away voitures and camions for free to practice rescues with?

[/quote]

Can’t remember having heard that one before and am a tad dubious about it as what would the Pompier then do when they are done with the cars/trucks??? IMO easier for them to drive to the local scrappy if practice is needed.

[quote user="Théière"]

Also the positions of the terminals is important otherwise the cables may not reach.

[/quote]

You have a point for the position of the terminal but 98% of the lead acid batteries are now manufactured following the same guidelines.

[quote user="Mr Coeur de Lion"]The numbers are L1 300 480A. I don't know if that makes sense or not. I'll take a photo of it shortly and post. If the price is good, if you pm me your address and I'll post a cheque to you asap. Thanks :)[/quote]

L1.....207 x 175 x 190 mm  might be worth thinking of an L2 slightly longer at 242 mm. H&W the same. I always put in the biggest battery that will fit on the tray, evn if with the Citroen C15 I have to take out the headlight bulb to remove it; a minor inconvenience for the extra AH on board.

[IMG]http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c369/blueblarg/_MG_2080.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c369/blueblarg/_MG_2079.jpg[/IMG]

I'm happy to go for the cheapest option, as I say I'll be letting the car go within the next 3 months.

Also, as a side note, the battery has been disconnected for the past couple of weeks and when we finally got the car going again, I'm getting a message saying that there is a problem with the anti pollution and a warning light is up. Perhaps this needs resetting due to the battery only being reconnected, or could there be a physical problem?

[quote user="Mr Coeur de Lion"][IMG]http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c369/blueblarg/_MG_2080.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c369/blueblarg/_MG_2079.jpg[/IMG]

I'm happy to go for the cheapest option, as I say I'll be letting the car go within the next 3 months.

Also, as a side note, the battery has been disconnected for the past couple of weeks and when we finally got the car going again, I'm getting a message saying that there is a problem with the anti pollution and a warning light is up. Perhaps this needs resetting due to the battery only being reconnected, or could there be a physical problem?
[/quote]

On second thoughts might be difficult shoehorning a L2 into your cardboard box.[:)]

As papa says, L1 is a standard battery dimension. If you replace it with a slightly larger battery size/power output such as L2, you will have to bin you battery protector case. FIAMM made in Montecchio Maggiore (Italy)....not the best manufacture but not the worse neither. Get yourself to the scrapyard for a like for like replacement.

Your dashboard fault problem could be linked to the system having been disactivated for a while. What make of car is it?

Not much immediate help to you, but I used this (http://performancebatteries.co.uk/) UK site last week to get a battery for our own Peugeot 306 diesel. They do next day UK delivery and taking a guess at what you may need the cost comes out at £38.95.

This is not totally useless information as it gives you an idea of a good UK price.

[quote user="Mr Coeur de Lion"]It's a Peugeot 206cc.[/quote]

Hi Richard, been out researching for you. The online company is not bad but the quoted battery is smaller in capacity than yours 360 cold cranking amps but at £38.95 very cheap.

The cheapest I found with slightly more power 540 cold cranking amps £47.00. Better quality battery £65.00

So Performance batteries are very good and can order if needed.

EDIT: May have move travelling day forward to Friday so let me know.