Best SAT NAV for France

scotty

Tom Tom is still good BUT I understand that the new models do not allow third party Points of Interest. What that means in practice is that you will be restricted to using the TomTom Traffic cameras POIs and they are not as good as other independent providers (in my opinion).

When my TomTom expires I will not have another for that reason

Andy

Echo those comments, and the latest Garmin's are as thin as a mobile phone, cheaper to update and have even more features. All that said the apps for mobile phones (smart phones) are really challenging stand alone units with google maps and voice navigation on a reasonably large screen.

Tomtom's map share is a joke, and not updating the maps and saving the money would go towards buying a newer machine when the time arrives as the latest much more detailed maps (Tomtom's words not mine) as I have not seen any of the new roads (5years old at least) added so a complete waste of money IMO.

We have both a TomTom and a Garmin (one in each car.) I bought the Garmin after I'd had the TT a couple of  years as it was cheaper than subscribing to the TT map updates.  I would never have a Garmin again as its propensity to take you down silly little roads even when you specify "fastest" instead of "shortest" route, is enormous compared to the Tom Tom.  It's certainly true that Garmin's update service is better value but I'd still rather buy a new TT every couple of years, I find it's easier to use (you don't have to go through a silly question and answer session every time you turn it on) and better at route finding.

Can't really recommend Garmin after using one in France for a couple of weeks earlier this month. The directions in the countryside often give you a (non existent signed) street name rather than the number of the road when exiting a roundabout. Why look for non existent street names in country districts when the number of the road is there on the top of the signposts. ie. less "Route de Nyons à Carpentras" and more "D7" Equally many directions, esp off roundabouts, are less than accurate - driving south on the D7 towards Carpentras the instruction "take first exit" off one particular roundabout will take you into the delivery yard of the Vignerons Beaumes de Venise rather than the D7. My old Michelin satnav was better but they no longer make them. Whatever else you do, always take a real map with you.

Brian (again)

B-I-L navigated his yacht across the channel using Garmin and BlueChart marine mapping. Upon arrival, switched the same unit now demounted, to MapSource mapping, located car hire depot on foot, followed by a successful navigation to central France.

The return journey was equally easy.

If Garmin can be trusted by seafarers and pilots, they must have got something right.

I'm sure they're fine, SS, it's just that I personally find them counter-intuitive when compared to TomTom.  I have no reason to believe that the basic Satelite Navigation technology is in any way faulty - I just find the way the thing is programmed doesn't suit me.  Much as I find some websites horrid to navigate whilst other love 'em!

As an aside, my local garage will rent you a satnav for the weekend.  Maybe worth trying different ones in this way, Scotty, and see what you think yourself.

I have an iPhone loaded with TomTom and, distributed amongst our various modes of transport, 4 Garmin's - I like Garmin's Lifetime updates - you can set what information you hear ... so deselect "rue de la whatever" and just get left or right. Likewise your routing preferences can be set on a computer with a sliding scale for type of roads to be used - this can then be downloaded to your GPS. Don't blame Garmin - it is all there you just need to set the system to your preferences!

I guess that's my point.  Honestly I don't want to faff around programming things - I want them to just work the way I like them as my TomTom One did from the moment I switched it on.  I reckon sometimes things just do too much and are too adjustable for my taste.  Hence as I stated it is a very personal view and thus I think it's wise to try these things oneself if one can rather than necessarily taking another person's word for it.

Just remember, as I posted a while back new Tomtom units will not be supporting third party points of interest (POI's) so only the Tomtom POI's that come with the unit (they are trying to do an Apple on us!)

Although they may change this stance in the future, when sales of Tomtom's fall against the competition. (Promised in 2011)

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/

Another negative for TomTom is map coverage if you travel a lot. Garmin covers all of Europe plus Turkey and some Eastern Bloc countries - a chum of mine recently had to purchase additional maps when we toured Greece and Turkey on our bikes. You can keep your maps updated with a lifetime deal (80 odd pounds) with Garmin. I have TomTom on my iPhone which I use in towns as a pedestrian.

You takes your chance but look at what is included, what map coverage there is and how much it is to update .... my friend's update to include Greece at additional expense did not show the new motorway my Garmin update had picked up - he was spitting feathers.

[quote user="Chezstevens"]Another negative for TomTom is map coverage if you travel a lot. Garmin covers all of Europe plus Turkey and some Eastern Bloc countries - a chum of mine recently had to purchase additional maps when we toured Greece and Turkey on our bikes. You can keep your maps updated with a lifetime deal (80 odd pounds) with Garmin. I have TomTom on my iPhone which I use in towns as a pedestrian. You takes your chance but look at what is included, what map coverage there is and how much it is to update .... my friend's update to include Greece at additional expense did not show the new motorway my Garmin update had picked up - he was spitting feathers.[/quote]

When updating my Tomtom recently, I had to choose losing the whole of Eastern Europe in favor of more accurate (they say) maps of just UK, France and Spain.

[quote user="Théière"]

When updating my Tomtom recently, I had to choose losing the whole of Eastern Europe in favor of more accurate (they say) maps of just UK, France and Spain.

[/quote]Both my Garmin and my TomTom do this - there just isn't enough memory in the bog standard versions for the lot!  I guess one needs to spend more on the units or just choose (as I do) the countries you're going to use.  Knocking off all the languages releases a  bit of memory too.

All maps are less than 2 GB,as are the original ones. If it does not fit it is due to some memory problem like not (yet) really removing deleted files. Garmin trafic information (TMC) is a  lifetime subscription  where  TT  wants you to pay  monthly for their traffic info.

Works excellent in Paris.