Vehicle Type Approval Number and c of c

Dinks

Can somebody please confirm that if there is a Type Approval Number on the V5C, it is not necessary to go down the route of acquiring a certificate of conformity in order to get a UK vehicle registered in France? I have read that some Préféctures accept the entry on the log book as

proof of conformity but others do not. We are bringing over a 2005 Mercedes Sprinter.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="Dinks"]I have read that some Préféctures accept the entry on the log book as

proof of conformity but others do not.[/quote]I've heard the same but personally I think it's wrong because a UK vehicle cannot conform to French requirements unless the lights have been adjusted or changed and if the car is under 4 years old and doesn't need a CT then it will still get it's Carte Grise with UK lights which can't be correct.

The European Certificate of Conformity is a document that confirms that the vehicle complies with European manufacturing standards. It has nothing to do with which way the headlights point. The Type Approval number on the UK V5C is apparently supposed to be proof that that vehicle DOES comply with European manufacturing standards which should in theory negate the need for the C of C. I was just wondering whether many people have found this to be the case? I'd like to save some time and money if I can!

Proof of manufacturing compliance unfortunately does not compensate for or override the French requirement that the lights be properly adjusted for driving on the right and there are only 2 ways to positively verify that.

1. By certification by the manufacturer or an authorised agent

2. By inspection at the CT or by the DRIRE.

Once you have your CT then by all means try your luck with the V5 at the Prefecture, you have nothing to lose except a possible wasted journey.

If yours is like mine in Cahors then you will likely fall at the front desk where your dossier is quickly checked to make sure all the necessary documents are present.

Bonne chance.

I tried to register our Citreon C5 at our Sous-Prefecture in Brive after getting the CT, pointing out it had a Type Approval Number and had been manufactured in France but they still insisted on a CofC so got it sorted at the local DRIRE, which is a lot cheaper than through Citreon.

I don't think there is a COC for vans. You will have to contact the French importer for an attestation d'identification.

Attestations for Mercedes can be obtained from:-

Mercedes-Benz France

Parc de Rocquencourt

BP 100. 78,153

Le Chesnay Cedex

Telephone 01 39 23 56 00

I will have the same problem with our van. We have a Vauxhall Vivaro. It doesn't have the required E at the beginning of the type approval number so I am informed I have to get a COC.  I am being asked to pay 250 Euros for a COC. I thought this was very expensive for a piece of paper, especially as the car COC's have have already sent for were free from the manufacturers.

If you managed to get free CoC's for your cars then you did well as most manufacturers demand a fee, typically €100 to €150 although sometimes more, as in this case, although €250 might be more typical for commercial vehicles, I couldn't say.

Unfortunately, unless the DRIRE have the vehicle in their database and can issue a certificate for about €67 (for cars that is, maybe more for commercial - but still expensive for a piece of paper [;-)]), then you are at the mercy of the manufacturer and it seems to me that you have a very simple choice to make - pay up or don't import [blink]

it seems to me that you have a very simple choice to make - pay up or

don't import Blink [blink]

Yes, true enough. Just don't like being ripped off. We have to bring the van so we'll have to pay - just sticks in the throat. (I think it is also because the chap at vauxhall was soooo rude on the phone - quite offensive in fact, and I really don't offend easily. But that's another story.)

[quote user="AnOther"][quote user="lulu"]Just don't like being ripped off.[/quote]You'd better get used to that if you're going to live in France [:'(]

[/quote]

But the lack of road tax will make sure that you are better off in the long run.

Of course, I keep forgetting that. Thank you, made me feel a whole lot better. Now I must get back to death by packing box...or was it by bubble wrap and sellotape?)

Yep - officially losing it,,,,,,,,,

[quote user="Bob T"][quote user="AnOther"][quote user="lulu"]Just don't like being ripped off.[/quote]You'd better get used to that if you're going to live in France [:'(]

[/quote]

But the lack of road tax will make sure that you are better off in the long run.
[/quote]

And if it is diesel even more savings - but if it is petrol......

Paul

There is so much twaddle floating around on this subject so here are a couple of facts appertaining to this thread.

1. CoC costs.

All European vehicle manufacturers are required to issue a free (no charge) CoC with a new vehicle. Some are supplied with the vehicle, (look in the handbook) others you have to ask.

Any subsequent CoC request is usually charged for.

2. Vehicle Type Approval.

The number shown on a UK V5 (ref 'L') is this number but, it will only be of use at the prefecture IF when typed into their data-base, it produces all the necessary figures required for registration. If its not in the database then they will not issue a CG.

This has shown to work for some but not for others.

Interestingly, in the case of my recent import, the French CoC I received shows NO reference whatsoever to the Type Approval number on the V5.

As 'lulu' has said, if the number on the V5 does not have an 'E' in it, it appears that it will not work in France. I delibrately say 'appears' as someone will, no doubt, post that they have done it without an 'E' in the number [:)]

As to headlights, well, I, personally cannot understand why anyone would want to 'buck the system' and then drive round with incorrectly adjusted lights. Its illegal, dangerous and stupid.

As far as I am aware a trip to the prefecture to attempt a registration based only on the V5 Type approval number will still need an Attestation from a Dealer to confirm that the lights comply with french legislation.

I've just received a COC for my Wrangler Jeep and I got it through EuroCoC -  http://www.eurococ.eu/en/.

I have to admit I was sceptical when I first found the company was based in Bratislava (apologies to any Bratislavians reading this post), however I found them to be extremely efficient and communications were excellent. I received a link to a pdf copy of the COC well before the expected date and the COC arrived by courier this morning. Rates vary according to the manufacturer of the vehicle and you can check to see if your car or bike falls within their service.

Scorpion.

Hmmm, a potentially useful service however if prices such a €189+ del for a CoC for my originally Belgian reistered Skoda, or €139+ del for a Citroen are  typical I don't think I'd make them my first port of call [blink]

• 2 weeks later...
We have just got a CofC for our 2004 Honda through Honda UK.  Telephoned help line and they emailed form to fill in.  Form does say  if you reside outside of UK Honda UK will not be able to issue CofC,  I filled form in using relatives UK address, sent form to them and they forwarded on to Honda UK.  No charge from Honda UK and CofC was sent within 3 days.  Took all paperwork to Prefecture Limoges, no problems at all and new Carte Grise arrived in a week.

Ok, this is going to sound REALLY stupid but... if the Uk is part of Europe..and.. France is part of Europe..and.. theoretically we are all therefore working together for a single market..... why do we need CoCs etc? Or are vehicles made for the Uk market slightly inferior so that manufacturers need to prove to other countries their vehicles are safe for their roads?

Peugeot are asking £100 for a 2005 Combi Partner - which everyone drives in France anyway, so I think that is excessive for producing a bit of paper to say the car's alright to drive in France - or am I missing something?

[quote user="Chris"] - or am I missing something?[/quote]

Quite a lot actually Chris that would take weeks to explain. The situation, in a nutshell, is if you want to register your vehicle in France you, currently,  have to play their game.

The alternative is to take on the powers that be in a legal argument. For this to succeed you will need to be very young (if you want to see the outcome) and have lots of money.

Its easier just to bite the bullet and pay up.

Try THIS service if you like. They will answer all your questions.

Cheers Bugsy - just one thought though, before you mentioned about one Coc begin issued FOC others being charged for - does that mean that if yuo never had one you can get one free - can't find one in the service booklet - 2005 model vehicle - just a warranty for 2/3 years

Thanks though.