Accompanied driving

Hello

Number 1 son is just about to start driving.

The accompanied driving he has to do before he can drive on his own....

a) does this have to be done in a nominated car?

b) if not...can we log his km's in a right hand drive car?

We will be buying a left hand drive car (no real need to have changed up until now) so he can learn to drive properly/safely etc. but can he do some of his miles in a RHD car?

I've had a look at the Section 2 : Apprentissage de la conduite. and can't find anything other than being in a class B car where the accompagnateur has to have held a licence for 5 years.

Many thanks

My daughter looked into this a number of years ago, she was told by the driving school that she couldn't do it as I was still using a UK issued license, someone will correct me if this is not true. So first question do you have a French license?

Tim

Conduite accompagnée (Apprentissage Anticipé de la Conduite AAC)

There's no mention of a nominated car, nor does it specify that the car must be LH drive.

A UK-issued driving licence is valid in France. My guess is that the person Pitway spoke to was taking a very safe line because of his/her ignorance.

This point is clearly explained (with official references) in this thread.

We are also about to go through the same process, well in a few months so any advice is greatly appreciated but I too have some questions which I hope might also help the OP

How do you start (a) sign up with a driving school or (b) just take to the roads with an A plate on the car?

Are there any websites where one can learn and practise the French theory test?

Like in the UK does the theory test have to be passed first before driving on the roads?

I've probably got lots more questions but hope the answers to this will also hellp OP - sorry to hijack your thread

whilst my daughter had actually passed her test , a trip back to the UK I did enquire if she could drive my car if needed, not a problem they said, but my franchise would be  a couple of thousand Euro instead of 500 !!!!

A learner under accompanier could well be very different.

I always thought that the ASSR closed it off to only french pupils in their final year of college before progressing to the lycée.

être titulaire de l’attestation scolaire de sécurité routière (ASSR) de niveau 2, passée en classe de 3e, ou de l’attestation de sécurité routière (ASR).

But I see the ASR is also valid.

But?

The whole thing starts from 16 years old. All the info is there, including requiring insurance.

It is quite a contract to hook up to really. I looked into it at the time and both my kids say 'non', didn't want to do it. Neither can drive all these years later, still, their Papa didn't pass his test until he was in his thirties.