Requirements for a small trailer.

Ysatis

We are going to take a small trailer to France in a few weeks time, to leave permenantly at our property. I have no idea how heavy it is (made of wood), but it's about 1.2m ( inc.wheels) wide x 2m long including the tow hitch and standard height. It's old but strong and safe.

Apart from having a number plate and rear lights, does it need to have, by law, one or maybe two smallish reflective triangles fixed to the rear, similar to what caravans have.

Any other advice would be useful.

Regards,

Likely the Road Vehicles (Lighting) Regs have changed, but it used to be that unless the towing vehicle's lights and reflectors can be seen, then the trailor must be fitted with same. European harmonisation may well dictate the same in France - it's logical anyway.

From what you describe, it's likely to be under the weight where it requires its own registration mark.

Someone here will have up-to-date info. [:)]

And a plaque de tare (weight plate).

PTAC Maxi XXXkg

Longeur    XX.Xm

Largeur    XX.Xm

L x l          XX.Xm2

Trailers with a PTAC of 500kg or less don't need to be registered in their own right.

Note: Plaque de tare is not required for caravans

Thanks everyone for your replies so far, there was some useful information I was unaware of.

So am I right in understanding, if the trailer is less than 500kg it does not need a    ' plaque de tare', if it's over 500kg it does. If I do need a plaque how do I go about getting this. Would I have to register the trailer to obtain a plaque, if so, what authority do I contact?

Regards,

No, EMH.  here it is again........

Assuming your trailer's gross weight is under 500kg (ie, trailer plus payload).

Your trailer will need lights, red triangles and a plaque de tare. You can buy plaques de tare as adhesive plastic stickers at your local AutoDistribution motor factors.  They incorporate stick on numbers for displaying the weights and dimensions.  Use them to mark it for PTAC 500kg and the dimensions of the trailer.  Stick it on the right hand (kerb) side of your drawbar frame where it's visible.

No separate registration is required.  Just buy an extra rear number plate the same as your car and rivet it to the trailer's tailboard as normal (eg between the lights).

If your trailer gross weight is over 500kg, then it'll need all the above bits, plus it'll need to be registered in its own right and display its own number plates.

If your trailer is over 750kg, then all the above plus it'll need its own braking system.

• 5 years later...
[quote user="Sunday Driver"]

And a plaque de tare (weight plate).

PTAC Maxi XXXkg

Longeur    XX.Xm

Largeur    XX.Xm

L x l          XX.Xm2

Trailers with a PTAC of 500kg or less don't need to be registered in their own right.

Note: Plaque de tare is not required for caravans

[/quote]

I'm in the process of sorting out a plaque (I have been blissfully driving 'round with an inherited wooden trailer not displaying a plaque!)

The trailer is within the 500kg, but what do I fill in for:

PV?

PTRA?

1xL?

S?

Many thanks for any help..