Diesel engine noise

CeeJay

Oh dear, ready for the off tomorrow morning driving 1000Km up to Calais and thence onwards and suddenly the diesel engine in my Peugeot 807 has started to develop a loud tapping noise. I havn't used it for quite a while so I'm hoping the noise is only temporary. Now in a dilemma as to travel or not!! Anybody any thoughts as what it could be?

What engine does it have?

Has it just started out of the blue, does it stop when the engine is warm and is there any exhaust fume smells?  They are prone to fire seals leaking, these are little copper washers that seal the bottom of the fuel injectors to the head.  If they are leaking it will be ok to drive, we had a van with them leaking for ages before we got them sorted.  It really depends on the sort of noise, metallic tap tap or fut fut of air escaping under high pressure.

Crossy

Started out of the blue, although it may have crept up on me!! No exhaust fume smell, definitely a metallic tap tap, engine very clean under bonnet, no oil on floor, done 67000 miles, cam belt changed last year. I havn't been able to warm it up yet, too frightened in case it blows up!!

Did the noise occur immediately on start up?

you say that you havnt used it  for quite a while, if this is weeks or months then it is probably no more than a hydraulic lifter sticking.

check the oil level and double check that the oil presure warning light is extinguished when the engine is running and just leave it ticking over until it reaches operating temperature, the noise will probably have gone away or at least diminished significantly, if so then IMHO you are OK for your journey.

good luck!

Thanks for all the replies, it is a 2.2Hdi engine, oil level alright and noise seems to comes from the top of the engine. At the moment I have it idling to get it up to temperature but so far all lights etc are normal. Will see what happens later on this evening, might give it a run. Maybe just panicking slightly!!

I would go for a sticking hydraulic lifter then. 

They get pushed down by the cam shaft to open the valves, when the engine is turned off some on them will be compressed by the cam shaft, this can force the oil out of them.  The oil is forced in under pressure to make the followers expand to take up the clearance between the cam and lifter so they don't tap or rattle.

Forget all about it and enjoy your break, all modern engines are susceptible to what occured to your vehicle, some are worse than others, even the best makes have the occasional engine that will exhibit the problem after being left standing.

Dont waste your money on snake oil. Regular oil and filter changing is of course no bad thing, many engines will rattle after the vidange, older Zetecs for example, I recovered one that had been standing in a puddle in a scrapyard for a couple of years, water had got into one cylinder which I honed, on start up the death rattle was very ominous, after one hour she still sounded like a bag of nails but was driveable, it took a couple of weeks for the lifters to free off (without snake oil), that engine went on to be unburstable and I raced it for several seasons.

[quote user="bigears"]hi change the oil and filter use correct type and fully synthetic.[/quote]

I have always changed the oil and filter in my diesel cars about every 5.000 miles  regardless of what the mainenence books say...  For the cost of a gallon of oil every  5000 I have found it well worth it .. I have  never had any problems with engines ...

Usage will affect engine oil so there is a difference between a car doing short start stop journeys (bad) and one doing high motorway miles(better), but in either case I'd change oil & filter earlier, cheaper than a new engine or even a new lifter.
A friend with a Holden clubsport, main dealer serviced, continued driving with a noisy lifter, which then broke up and destroyed the engine, very expensive rebuild followed. . .  

You pays your money you make your choice .

Having had to spend 8 hours a day stripping down engines to be reconditioned when I was a young man I saw what blocked oil ways will do to the bearings .. Dirty oil in engines kept us all in work

My last three cars have all featured an onboard system which monitors usage, calculates when a service is due and displays a message for me. The car manufacturer has designed the system for those cars so why would I want to ignore that and change the oil and filter earlier?

Something like a noisy lifter would clearly merit earlier investigation.

[quote user="Frederick"]You pays your money you make your choice . . Having had to spend 8 hours a day stripping down engines to be reconditioned when I was a young man I saw what blocked oil ways will do to the bearings .. Dirty oil in engines kept us all in work[/quote]

Back then we only had Duckams Q or GTX so no wonder we had clogged oilways, since Mobil 1 proved how much better modern oils were at high temp, no sticky gue.

Quite so SD, but not all cars have a service indicator, certainly none of mine do, my Renault Trafic service says 18K mls but oil looks mucky at 9K, in between services, so I change it; I have a Triumph Stag with oil change intervals at 7.5K, but having never done more than 3K a year in it change the oil every year.

As for noisy lifters I agree, but he had no lights on the dashboard so decided to wait for the service interval![Www]

For all those kind persons who replied to my quest for help I have an update. I did bring the engine up to temp and decided that the noise was less bothersome than before! So I proceeded in a northerly direction as planned and stopped overnight at Troyes, no problem. Next day (today) completed the journey via the Tunnel and on to the West Country and no problems at all. Seems to have been lack of use over a period of time until engine got up to temp, sorry for the scaremongering.