The Franciliene

Frecossais

For the last few years we have used the Franciliene to bypass Paris on our way to Burgundy. I dread it, and think it probably the worst road I've ever been on. It is busy, is fast and isn't like the M25 in that while some of it is motorway, most is not. It has three lanes one minute and two the next.You have to have your wits about you so that you make the correct turn offs. I always heave a sigh of relief when we eventually reach the A6.

We use that route because OH gets bored on motorways, and driving on the Franciliene is challenging. I keep praying it will be upgraded to autoroute status, but shiver at the thought of the roadworks that would have to be done to achieve this.

I haven't got a question, just wondered what routes other people use to get round Paris.

PS If I come down on my own I avoid Paris and take the autoroute via Reims and Dijon.

For many years  we have used the  Reims Dijon autoroute. I cannot even start to explain what a difference it made to our journey when that opened, it was wonderful.  On our way up we would stop at Calais and on our way back stop at Reims, but we were a two to three hour drive south of you. In fact our first stop would always be near Dijon on our way north.  Unless we were doing Zeebrugge /Hull and then we could make the port or home in a day.

We have done the Franciliene too, we've done lots of the roads around Paris as we haven't always been going to England, or directly to England. So what we do is  try and time Paris in the early hours, or at night if possible, and  at least after the rush hour. Sometimes we have managed, sometimes not.

I like your use of words, when it's busy you said 'challenging', yes it is at least challenging it often feels dangerous and I prefer to be driving, but it has to be said that which ever of us is driving then the other is just about putting their foot through the floor as they 'brake' on the passenger side.

Motorways are boring,and expensive, but they do get us there faster and safer.

As idun says, timing is everything [;-)]

On the increasingly rare occasions we do go back to UK we use early morning ferries to Dover (06:00) and then late night coming back (22:00 or midnight) which enables us to take a virtual straight line right through the middle of Paris with little or no 'challenge' whatsoever, entering via the A10 and exiting on the A1 to Lille on the way up, and vice-versa on the way back down.

You don't even need sat nav or a map, just follow the clear signs for Lille one way and Bordeaux the other - simples.

There is nothing to fear but fear itself [:D]

I agree. I've done Franciliene when taking the LeHavre or Caen boats, but for the North East it's Reims every sinmgle time. Then to get my bit of relief from the motorwat, I take the A39 down to Ambrieu en Bugey and head off over to Chambery that way. I usually stop at Ambrieu for cheaper fuel!

[quote user="Frecossais"]If I come down on my own I avoid Paris and take the autoroute via Reims and Dijon.

[/quote]

I absolutely agree with you.  I have always used this route, even before the Reims-Dijon section was finished.  I am very intrigued that the Francilienne should be considered a remotely attractive alternative. 

You have to remember that "La Francilienne" is over 30 years old and at the time, it helped ease the traffic greatly. I also hesitated to take it on our recent trip South but as the local radios were giving the all clear, we used it and got around Paris without any problem. The only hold up we had was on joining the motorway that brings you to the "peage de Rocancourt" (14 lanes going SOuth, 14 lanes going North). The return journey was similar but again, listen to the traffic-info (if your French is good enough that is) and that will give you the option to use it or not.