SANEF doofah

tonyv

[quote user="tonyv"]My attempts to get SANEF stuff came to nothing. The offices by the toll booths appear to be shut on Sunday.

I'll try blu-tak. So what's it called here? Taque-bleu? Sacré blueu?
[/quote]As long as you have a French bank account then, as I think has already been suggested, stuff the blu-tak and change to an ALIS doofer.  Then you'll get a new holder and a free doofer to boot (plus a bit of money off if you're ever down this neck of the woods.)

We stuck our Alis doofah to the wrong place on our windscreen [:$] apparently my car windscreen only has a small 'dotted' area either side the rear view mirror that it will work in[geek] so then I couldn't get the bl**dy holder off, hence losing the adhesive pad, I tried several double sided tapes but all failed miserably!

Finally I found it much easier to just hold up the doofah and place by hand in the designated area, no waving about, no panic of wondering if the damn thing had dropped off midway up the  autoroute.

I really love my doofah as I drive a righthand drive car and am sometimes alone. Alis will give me another holder for a small fee if I really wanted one, but as a muti-tasking female toll plaza's/peage's are easy-peasy[;-)]

Double sided foam tapes like 3m's product are incredibly strong bonding, my number plate was factory fitted using it and so are several plastic trims on vehicles these days. Sounds like the useless Halfords have got even more useless but then the staff are not trained in anything and paid a pittance.

Just clean the surfaces with alcohol and stick in place. I buy rolls of this tape for sticking up signs without any failures.

[quote user="andyh4"]Methinks perhaps that your motorway entry and exit is restricted to the quiet rural booths.[;-)][/quote]You thinks wrong then, unless you call places like Toulouse and Cahors quiet and rural. I shall keep a lookout for them next week when I'll be down that way.

If you are driving alone and leave your 'fumbling' to the last second manic scrum then yes, I agree it could be regarded as unsafe. Personally though, on such a trip and  knowing that I would be needing it, I would have it somewhere readily to hand before I even set off, but maybe that's just me [;-)]

It's moot in any case as mine has remained resolutely stuck to the screen for over 4 years [:)]

[quote user="AnOther"][quote user="andyh4"]Methinks perhaps that your motorway entry and exit is restricted to the quiet rural booths.[;-)][/quote]You thinks wrong then, unless you call places like Toulouse and Cahors quiet and rural. I shall keep a lookout for them next week when I'll be down that way.[/quote]

I have generally only come across them in more Northern and middling bits of France: they are fairly rare at present but are supposed to be being rolled out across the autoroute network over the next few years.

[quote user="AnOther"]It's moot in any case as mine has remained resolutely stuck to the screen for over 4 years [:)][/quote]

Ours stopped sticking after being subjected to high summer temperatures and was never the same thereafter. The problem resolved itself when the doofer started giving "giving up the ghost" noises, prompting its replacement with one of the newer, rather smaller and lighter transponders.

Regards

Pickles

A couple of weeks back on the A 10 near Bordeaux, out of curiosity visited a Vinci télépéage animation.

The young lady explained the ease of use of the Temps Libre Option for an occasional foreign holiday autoroute user.

Whilst a french bank account is required the electronic option bills on a 10th day basis with the account being debited on the 20th day basis allowing feeding of the account before the date of debit.

http://www.vinci-autoroutes.com/telepeage-temps-libre-ne-payez-que-les-mois-utilises-telepeage-vinci-autoroute--@/view-131-category.html;jsessionid=4C6A912DD23AAEE4F94D902CC487FCE5.tomcat1

No charge with Alis, and no fee taken when not used, so ideal for occasional and frequent users alike. For those are in the right area of the country, there's a discount when travelling on a nominated route along A28, too!

You can scan and email the form from the internet to:

Christine Zurkinden - a very helpful woman.

Email address [email protected]

Telephone number 0033232202188  - and she speaks English.

[quote user="Théière"]

Mine is still stuck fast [:P]

did you clean the area with your meths first or just take up drinking it with the frustration [:)]

[/quote]

No, I used gin.

The sticky remained on the mount and the windscreen, and was a hell of a job to remove. It was the foam that ripped.

I quite like the Alis idea. How do I kill my SANEF contract?

[quote user="tonyv"][quote user="Théière"]

Mine is still stuck fast [:P]

did you clean the area with your meths first or just take up drinking it with the frustration [:)]

[/quote]

No, I used gin.

The sticky remained on the mount and the windscreen, and was a hell of a job to remove. It was the foam that ripped.

I quite like the Alis idea. How do I kill my SANEF contract?
[/quote]

Talk about unlucky........