2 stroke oil

Dave&Olive

Hi ok

Has any one  tried this in there diesel to replace the low sulphur / bio mix they are now have , if you have I would like to know if you found it worth it and  the biggy  how do you explain to the local flic   " no officer it`s not red diesel it`s " stroke mix "

Dave

hi ok

No ....am talking using   2 stroke  oil      at about 0.3 litre to 70 litres of fuel to replace the sulpher

Dave

Not true John, there are pages and pages on this subject on Google, mostly pretty positive.

BMW have done extensive testing since the introduction of low-sulphur diesel fuel and whilst not recommending its use they certainly do not say don't use it.

200-300 ml of non-synthetic 2 stroke oil in a tankful of diesel works wonders and has no harmful effects whatsoever. It cleans injectors and pumps and replaces lubrication lost in low-sulphur fuels.

My only concern, as a user, is, given that most non-synthetic 2 stroke oil is red, what would the Custom & Excise boys make of it.

Dave, some light reading

http://www.landyzone.co.uk/lz/f9/2-stroke-oil-diesel-164225.html

[quote user="Bugsy"]Not true John, there are pages and pages on this subject on Google, mostly pretty positive.

BMW have done extensive testing since the introduction of low-sulphur diesel fuel and whilst not recommending its use they certainly do not say don't use it.

200-300 ml of non-synthetic 2 stroke oil in a tankful of diesel works wonders and has no harmful effects whatsoever. It cleans injectors and pumps and replaces lubrication lost in low-sulphur fuels.

My only concern, as a user, is, given that most non-synthetic 2 stroke oil is red, what would the Custom & Excise boys make of it.

Dave, some light reading

http://www.landyzone.co.uk/lz/f9/2-stroke-oil-diesel-164225.html . .[/quote]

A question Bugsy, why is two stroke oil red? I ask this as I used to have a 2 stroke Saab in the distant past and I never put red oil in it. Owners were told by Saab that "Saab" oil which was very expensive was better, and that you only used 1 pint to 6 gallons, whereas if you used ordinary oil i.e. Castrol, that the ratio was 1 pint to 4 gallons. So back to the question is the red dye or additive a benefit to the 2 stroke engine  is that just a sales gimmick.

I think it there so you can easily see the pink tint and know it's two stroke rather than ruining an engine having forgotten which can was two stroke and inadvertently filling your two strokes tank with neat fuel. Stihl 2 stroke is also used at a leaner ratio, very important if you lend your chainsaw to someone who uses ordinary two stroke

[quote user="Bugsy"]Not true John, there are pages and pages on this subject on Google, mostly pretty positive.

Dave, some light reading

http://www.landyzone.co.uk/lz/f9/2-stroke-oil-diesel-164225.html

.[/quote]

Just because I don't agree doesn't make me wrong.

Before I retired I spent over 40 years involved in vehicle maintenance and in my opinion all these fuel additives are worthless.  Don't you think the people who make fuel would add these components if they made a noticable difference. IMHO the best way to protect your engine is to use the best engine oil you can afford.

[quote user="John Brown"]Just because I don't agree doesn't make me wrong.

Before

I retired I spent over 40 years involved in vehicle maintenance

[/quote]

I've dabbled a bit too John [:D] [:D]

[quote user="John Brown"] ......................and in

my opinion all these fuel additives are worthless. 

[/quote]

Thats 40 years wasted John if you really believe that a good quality Injector Cleaner is a worthless additive.

The last bottle of 2-stroke mix I had was blue in colour. I will try and see if I still have it to get the brand.

I havent looked into this for myself in any depth yet, but have not heard any negative reports. Is it more for older diesel engines or will it still work on modern common-rail stuff?

As for the red tint to your fuel, the red dye in agri diesel is only one of the markers - there are other non visible chemical traces, so I would not foresee too big a problem if you were stopped for a dip as long as you explained the 2-stroke theory.

I flagged this up 6 months ago http://www.completefrance.com/cs/forums/2512815/ShowPost.aspx, the article http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/adding-2-stroke-oil-to-diesel-tank-read-this_topic37935.html confirms the benefits :

Due to the pollution control measures of the EC diesel-oil is nearly sulphur free and contains up to 5% of bio-diesel. Sulphur has the property to grease the high pressure injection pump and the injectors. Without sulphur, the reduced greasing property of the new diesel has already shown negativ impacts on the long-term stability of the injectors and the high pressure pump. The pump manufacturers have tried to react by lining the moving parts of the pumps with teflon or other suitable material. However, the long term stability is still not achieved as with the old (sulphor contained) diesel.

The engine-research centre of a well known German car manufacurer has conducted some long term tests of diesel additives to find out whether any one of them will have an impact on the long term reliability of the diesel engine components. This introduction to explain were my information comes from.
The results of this research: any diesel additive of any manufacturer presently on the market is not worth the money!
BUT: 2-stroke oil, which we use in our motor saws, lawn mower or in 2-stroke motor engines has shown to have an extreme positive impact on diesel engines, if such 2-stroke oil is added to the diesel in a homoeophatic dosis of 1:200. In practical terms: 0,300 litre of 2-stroke oil into the 70l diesel tank. The 2-stroke oil will be absorbed by the diesel (emulsion) and grease every moving part of the high pressure pump and the injectors.
Besides this, the 2-stroke oil will keep the diesel engine clean, as it burnes cleaner as the diesel itself.
In other words, the 2-stroke oil has a much lower ash-content as diesel, when burned. This proven fact delays the DPF (diesel particulate (soot) filter) to clogg, and the "burn free" process of the DPF will be much less.
One more information: in Germany we have to present our cars every 2 years to the TUV -Technical Supervision Organisation - who will check, amongs others, the pollution of petrol and diesel engines.
The measured cloud-factor of a diesel engine without use of 2-stroke oil has been 0,95.
The same factor with the use of 2-stroke oil has been 0,47 - reduction of nearly half of the soot particles.
Besides this, the use of 2-stroke oil in the diesel will increase the milage by 3-5%.

I found this, which I found interesting

http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=177728

However, re the old vs new engine situation, I had a look in the owner's handbook for a post-2009 Merc C-class. For the diesel versions (which are Euro 5 compliant), it says that "when refuelling vehicles with a DPF in countries outside the EU, only low-sulphur Euro diesel with less than 0.005% sulphur by weight (50 ppm) should be used". It also says that "in countries in which diesel with a higher sulphur content is available, the engine oil should be renewed at more frequent intervals."

Naturally, the manual bans the use of (additional!) fuel additives, biodiesel, heating oil, paraffin, kerosene, etc etc.

"Thats 40 years wasted John if you really believe that a good quality Injector Cleaner is a worthless additive."

No need to get personel.

I wouldn't dream of commenting on your career even after seeing the choice of motorbike you ride

I managed a fleet of over 1000 vehicles and 100's of items of Plant and quess what we didn't stock Injector Cleaner in our workshop store and never needed it

Question ! Are the roadside's full of vehicles with injector failure

John

[quote user="John Brown"]No need to get personel. [:)]

[/quote]

Is that the same as personal ?

[quote user="John Brown"]

I wouldn't dream of commenting on your career .................................

John

[/quote]

Given that you have no idea of my I have done in my working life, I wouldn't really expect you to.

I

managed a fleet of over 1000 vehicles and 100's of items of Plant and

quess what we didn't stock Injector Cleaner in our workshop store and

never needed it

[/quote]

Just think how much better they would have all performed if you had. [Www][:)]

"Given that you have no idea of my I have done in my working life, I wouldn't really expect you to"

If you are going to tell someone off for their spelling, make sure you get your grammer right

Growing up is optional as you say

We can agree to disagree about fuel additives and motorbikes. IMHO They stopped making motorbikes when they stopped making the BSA Rocket Gold Star

I was interested in getting an LPG converted vehicle but also found engine wear was higher than normal because it burns so cleanly and so several companies market an oil injector to lubricate the pumps, injectors and upper cylinders, valves etc.

It seems perfectly logical to use some additional lubrication where diesel is being cleaned of ever more stuff to pass emission tests. whether adding 2 stroke that would block particulate filters is something to wait and see. Even low ash oil probably produces more than low sulphur diesel nowadays.  If Merc (euro5) spec don't recommend anything but plain fuel is that because their service warranty insurers don't want anything extra to worry about although EU diesel is 5% biodiesel so helps keep everything clean. Not that merc owners care too much anyway about saving a couple of quid here or there.

My old van ran very well on 100% biodiesel but the common rail new one has a flat spot on acceleration using it so I don't bother but I do use injector cleaner having seen first hand via the MOT test rig the reduction in emission after adding it to the fuel filter bowl.

IMHO They stopped making motorbikes when they stopped making the BSA Rocket Gold Star

[/quote]

And the traction engine....blah....[:)]

I love the modern engines and the supercharged and turbo charged 1600 volkswagen engines are proof of how good there getting, Ford I hear are working on 1300 versions and achieving 100m/gallon

We can agree to disagree about fuel additives and motorbikes. IMHO They stopped making motorbikes when they stopped making the BSA Rocket Gold Star

[/quote]

Who is disagreeing about motorcycles, I've certainly not mentioned them.

Again you are being presumptuous I think unless you have actually identified the bike in my avatar.

I'm happy to give you a clue in that the model was first introduced in 1959, three years before the BSA.

And, its still in production today.

[8-|][Www]

If you are going to tell someone off for their spelling, make sure you get your grammer right

[/quote]

[:D][:D][:D]

[quote user="John Brown"] Just because I don't agree doesn't make me wrong.
Before I retired I spent over 40 years involved in vehicle maintenance and in my opinion all these fuel additives are worthless.  Don't you think the people who make fuel would add these components if they made a noticable difference. IMHO the best way to protect your engine is to use the best engine oil you can afford.
[/quote]

While not an additive in as much as it is contained in a seperate tank, with a seperate injection system, would you class the following as "worthless"?

http://www.blue-cat.biz/FAQ/AdBlue_FAQ/Navigation.html

Salty Sam,

It's been a few years since I retired from Fleet Management and I'm not familiar with this product.

I had all the larger vehicles in the fleet fitted with Eminox Units from new and the emissions levels were excellent

After six years the levels were unchanged so it became the norm to have them fitted with each year's purchases

We never had a fail on emissions at the testing station.

Bugsy,

I was hoping you would see the irony in spelling grammar wrong. Maybe not !

Bugsy,

I was only winding you up about the bike because you rubbished my career

The bike looks like a Triumph America to me.

I wanted a Bonneville when I was 17 but my Dad said NO so I built a Triton when I was a bit older

I'm doing  Route 66 on a Harley ( west to east ) for my 65th.

[quote user="John Brown"]Bugsy,

I was only winding you up about the bike because you rubbished my career

[/quote]

I didn't really (I was only joking). I also spent a long time in Fleet Management (25 years) prior to having my own Garage.

The bike looks like a Triumph America to me.

[/quote]

Correct, bought after selling all my quick bikes as a way of avoiding endless hassle with "le flics' [:D][:D]

[IMG]http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p211/Bugbear2/P1000669.jpg[/IMG]

I'm doing  Route 66 on a Harley ( west to east ) for my 65th. [/quote]

You will enjoy that trip [8-|]