Speed Camera

sueyh

[quote user="sueyh"]http://www.connexionfrance.com/Tougher-road-safety-rules-Claude-Gueant-13340-view-article.html

We have a Garmin satnav with speed camera notification as basic.  Does anyone know how to disable it?

Suey
[/quote]

Presuming  it is a Nuvi;

At the welcome screen, touch the spanner icon > Proximity Points > Alerts > Change. Untick the box "Garmin Safety Cameras", press OK. Job done!

CAUTION - If you've downloaded a Safety camera database from elsewhere other than Garmin, you'll also need to untick the box "Custom POI's".

[quote user="Salty Sam"]

[quote user="AnOther"]I believe possession is an offence regardless of whether you're using it or not.[/quote]

Reference as to the source of your information please.

[/quote]

For french avocats A.N.Other's enlightened presumption is called "jurisprudence"

for normal mortals it is called " commonsense".[6]

[quote user="AnOther"]TBH I can't remember where I read it but it is logical and echo's the Swiss approach.

Some more info here but translating the page does not make it clear so perhaps the fluent French readers can make a better fist of it.

http://www.net-iris.fr/veille-juridique/actualite/27940/les-avertisseurs-de-radars-se-transforment-en-indication-de-zone-dangereuse.php

[/quote]

The link appears to be dated prior to the july protocole and may not reflect the progressive thinking culminating in the JO decree last week.

Neither will I. TomTom sent out an email yesterday pointing out the new illegality and advising how to deactivate the french speed camera notifications. They are however working on a new facility for france which will advise of 'danger zones'. I dare say that the letter of the law can be got around by - instead of pinpointing the exact camera site, you declare a 'danger zone' of - say 50 metres of where the camera happens to be sited. Crazy law and fairly difficult to enforce. Will the police now be trained in the settings and workings of all satnav systems to determine whether a camera location facility is active? Are the Via Michelin map / itineries now to be illegal too? Plus, the maximum fine is now €1500, as oposed to something like €135 for using a mobile phone. Which is the more dangerous by a factor of 10??

[quote] declare a 'danger zone' of - say 50 metres of where the camera happens to be sited.[/quote]

The danger zone dimensions for the three classes of highway were agreed in the original protocol signed in july 2011 by the interested partiesThey are all much greater than 50 metres.

[quote user="pachapapa"]

[quote] declare a 'danger zone' of - say 50 metres of where the camera happens to be sited.[/quote]

The danger zone dimensions for the three classes of highway were agreed in the original protocol signed in july 2011 by the interested partiesThey are all much greater than 50 metres.

[/quote]

4 km?

In the mid sixties I used to float around (I use the words advisably) in a  59-buick electra 445 the attractions were many, but one especially back then was a handset dial on the side of the speedo that could be set to any speed and on reaching the speed it would emitt a buzz (a bit worse than the disc-player under the dash[:)]) I found this to be a great gadget and apart from anything else it lifted the right foot and enabled me to be looking at where the bonnet was heading instead of checking the speedo, but it had to be changed for each speed limit. No other car I've had, had this facility. It's one of the features I like most about TomTom, that you get an audible speed warning without resetting it, so on busy ring roads and variable speed roads, apart from staying in line with other traffic I check my speed, but if and when it's over the limit then the audible buzz gets my attention. On simple straight roads its routine to check the speedo but on one local road for instance after descending several hills from 70mph to 50limits, the road rounds a bend into a 30mph, and without throttle it is still necessary to be braking quite hard to maintain the correct speed after first complying.

[quote user="Louise-Gary"]They are however working on a new facility for france which will advise of 'danger zones'. I dare say that the letter of the law can be got around by - instead of pinpointing the exact camera site, you declare a 'danger zone' of - say 50 metres of where the camera happens to be sited. [/quote]

That is what TomTom etc have done with the updates - except that the size of the "dangere zone" around the camera/accident blackspot is rather larger and less precise than your 50m suggestion: I think that the zone sizes run from 300m in urban areas to 4km on autoroutes.

[quote user="AnOther"][quote user="HEZ"]I won't be disabling ours. It is a godsent.[/quote]Which can only really mean one thing can't it - habitual speeder !

[/quote]

Nope. Keep to the speed . Its just nice to know you are a few below when you pass the radar for peace of mind. Especially on those lovely 90-110-90-110-90 sections on the UK run.

[quote user="fisherman"]It’s funny but whenever there is a discussion of speed cameras out come the holier than thou, Mr. / Mrs. perfect citizen casting dispersions on anybody they consider as not as perfect as themselves.[/quote]

You seem to have a vivid imagination but what I wonder is your take on a comment like that ?

[quote user="AnOther"][quote user="fisherman"]It’s funny but whenever there is a discussion of speed cameras out come the holier than thou, Mr. / Mrs. perfect citizen casting dispersions on anybody they consider as not as perfect as themselves.[/quote]

You seem to have a vivid imagination but what I wonder is your take on a comment like that ?

[/quote]

On another forum in a distant galaxy far far away [;-)]

I won't disable mine.  What are the police going to do, stop me for not speeding?  As said by another poster earlier, I also drive by enlarge to or below the speed limit but occasionally speed can drift a touch, it's nice to have a bit of a back up just in case.

Simple answer is yo obey the speed limits.

One question. How are the police actually going to know that you have the alerts activated on your Sat Nav unless they stop every motorist, they see, with a rectangular device sited above the dashboard and check. Or do they have another way of knowing for sure?

I suppose if you're unfortunate enough to get pulled in an area with static cameras, or a camera hotspot, and the law enforcement officer happens to view a similar screen appertaining to France;

[IMG]http://i39.tinypic.com/2e69bvm.jpg[/IMG]

There's a good chance he/she will regard his selection of vehicle to stop, was a good one![;-)]