This Might be Expensive !

Gardian

I took our 8yo Golf in for its annual service this morning. Its done 140k kms, but is still as good as gold.

The garage rang at 15.00 and it was the Provencal receptionist. [:'(]  Now she's a nice lady and my French isn't bad even comprehending people over the phone, but she does speak at a machine-gun rate allied to an accent that you could cut with a knife.

Whatever needed doing that she was seeking my agreement to was unintelligible and I needed two of them!  I just said "Allez" and that was it. I haven't got a clue as to what I agreed to, but they'd never ring you just because two bulbs needed replacing.

Another strange thing: the headlight 'glass' has become clouded over the years. I've tried cleaning it (obviously) but my impression was that it had been affected by the sun over the years.  "Oh yes", said the Service Manager, "That's the problem and I can get that fixed for you", but it didn't involve replacement. Any ideas anybody as to what has happened and how they fix it? 

Plastic headlights tend to yellow and go hazy as they age. The fix is just a good polishing with a rotary polisher and a mild abrasive. I have seen companies advertising this as a service for 50Euros per headlight.

You could do it yourself with some clean cloths, a paint cutting compound like Farecla G3 (t-cut would do at a push) and some elbow grease.

Thank you Dave: all that makes sense. I'll see whether they've been able to get it done tomorrow - it was all a bit maybe / maybe not - and if not follow your suggested DIY route.

If they have done it, it'll be interesting to see what they charge. [blink]

As for the rest of the work, that's going to be painful, I just know it. 

Dave ................

That looks brilliant - I'll give that a go in the next day or so and let you know how I get on.  They couldn't get it done at the garage.

Just got back from the garage - the problem that they rang me about were the soufflets du cardan.  As far as I can make out, that's the drive shafts which needed re-packing (with grease) ............. I think !!!  The Service Manager said that if the cardan shafts had gone, that'd have been the thick end of €1k all up, so I suppose I should have been pleased to have got away with about €170 inc labour and TVA.

Thanks everybody for all the input on cleaning the headlamp glass.

I don't speak French but have worked on French cars in years gone by sounds like souffle' my guess therefore is split drive shaft gaiters. you used to be able to get glue together universals (cr4p in my humble opinion but at about £20 a shout some will go for it) €170 for proper ones is a bargain as it involves stripping the hubs, discs , calipers and sometimes struts and balljoints, put together properly (and many French mechanics are proper rather than the gormless youth opportunities types we can get in the UK)..I think you have done well.

I don't speak French but have worked on French cars in years gone by sounds like souffle' my guess therefore is split drive shaft gaiters. you used to be able to get glue together universals (cr4p in my humble opinion but at about £20 a shout some will go for it) €170 for proper ones is a bargain as it involves stripping the hubs, discs , calipers and sometimes struts and balljoints, put together properly (and many French mechanics are proper rather than the gormless youth opportunities types we can get in the UK)..I think you have done well.

First of all, I've tried out the toothpaste and you can see the results below. In truth, the pics don't really do justice as to how much better they are. It took a good deal longer than the 60 secs in the video (that's 20 mins elbow grease on each side), but the improvement is amazing. Another 10 mins tomorrow and they'll be near perfect.  Thanks very much again for the tip Dave.

Before ..............

[IMG]http://i593.photobucket.com/albums/tt15/gardian830/Headlamps0031.jpg[/IMG]

and after ..........

[IMG]http://i593.photobucket.com/albums/tt15/gardian830/Headlamps0041.jpg[/IMG]

Big Mac ........

I forgot to add on the TVA to that €170, so it was actually a bit over €200, but still not bad.  Have you ever thought about taking up counselling?  After reading your post last night, I almost started to feel good about being relieved of €515 (the service, CT, the repair and a couple of other things).[:-))]

[quote user="Gardian"]Just got back from the garage - the problem that they rang me about were the soufflets du cardan.  As far as I can make out, that's the drive shafts which needed re-packing (with grease) ............. I think !!!  The Service Manager said that if the cardan shafts had gone, that'd have been the thick end of €1k all up, so I suppose I should have been pleased to have got away with about €170 inc labour and TVA.[/quote]

By coincidence, I'm having the same problem on a Seat Ibiza. This was pointed out to me by the neighbour who fitted my winter tyres this week.

The car was due for a service anyway, so it's going in on Tuesday for that and a leaky soufflet de cardan...

I shall report for a comparison... [:'(]

• 2 weeks later...
[quote user="Clair"][quote user="Gardian"]... the problem that they rang me about were the soufflets du cardan. [...] I suppose I should have been pleased to have got away with about €170 inc labour and TVA.[/quote]

I'm having the same problem on a Seat Ibiza. [...] it's going in on Tuesday for a leaky soufflet de cardan...

I shall report for a comparison... [:'(][/quote]

Just received the invoice for an oil + filter change and other bits and pieces, including a new soufflet de cardan: total 183€