Buying tyres?

Jonzjob

I am going to have to replace the tyres on our car in the near future. I am seriously thinking of getting them from one of the suppliers that send them to either you or a tame tyre fitting place. I favour the at home service offered by some suppliers.

My question is that if I go for the fitting at home option what happens to the old tyres? Does the 'man with the van' take them away or will I have to get rid of them?

Any ideas anyone? I suppose that if I have to get rid of them I could always donate them to a local trades union and they could burn them in the road at their next manifestation/grève  [:-))]

I have replaced my motorbike tyres twice, allo-pneus and 123 pneus using local fitters who kept the tyres. I looked at a mobile fitting company associated with another on line suppliers and they charged both for the fitting and for the removal of the old tyre. I have had the tyres delivered to the fitters and also to my home, have not paid extra for them keeping the tyres.

Have also ordered tyres for our camping car using the company recommended fitters, no charge.

I think the farmers pay about 180 euros a tonne to have their old tyres taken away.

For buying the tyres - have a look at http://www.quelpneu.com/

its a comparison site that searches all the online retailers for the best price in your size.

I have seen disposal fees as high as a fiver per tyre.

Most fast-fit places are around 1 euro per tyre, but with a mobile chap coming to your home who has not made a percentage on the sale of the new tyres, I would expect it to be higher.

I fit my own tyres, which leaves me with a disposal problems that is becoming very problematic - every now and then I chuck some in the back of the van and drive round the area dumping one each in the general rubbish bins. Only about 60 to go now, but the tractor tyres will require some other solution!

Ta muchly Ron.

I will have a look around for one me-thinks. I never have liked the idea of cars withut spare wheels. We have one of those repair mousse kits. OK for a simple puncture, but about as much use as an ashtray on a motorbike if the side wall is damaged!!

Here's a radical thought for your old tyres

If you are so inclined, and can put up with the apperance (or have a secluded bit of garden) old tyres are great for growing potatoes.

Start with one tyre, put some seed potatoes in it and fill with soil.  As the potatoes grow up , add another tyre and more soil and so on.  As the potatoes are produced from the stems that are now underground, you get lots of pots!  Same as earthing up really.  At the end of the growing season, just knock the pile over and collect your harvest.

Great idea Pierre, but I'm not too sure if SWMBO would approve [:-))]

Reference to the spare. We have just been into the local Citroën dealer to see how much a roue galette would cost. The stores guy was very helpful and it took him ages before he found out that if we did order one he couldn't tell us how long it would take to arrive because the tyres are specially made for them and they don't make them until they have enough to make[8-)] Could be anything up to 6 months!!!!! I had phoned Citroën in the U.K. and they told me how much straight away and no problems getting them?

French car, French wheel, French tyre? What the hell is wrong here?

[quote user="Jonzjob"]Great idea Pierre, but I'm not too sure if SWMBO would approve [:-))]

Reference to the spare. We have just been into the local Citroën dealer to see how much a roue galette would cost. The stores guy was very helpful and it took him ages before he found out that if we did order one he couldn't tell us how long it would take to arrive because the tyres are specially made for them and they don't make them until they have enough to make[8-)] Could be anything up to 6 months!!!!! I had phoned Citroën in the U.K. and they told me how much straight away and no problems getting them?

French car, French wheel, French tyre? What the hell is wrong here?

[/quote]

Its what they call French customer service.

Quote:

'Great idea Pierre, but I'm not too sure if SWMBO would approve Woot! [:-))]

Reference to the spare. We have just been into the local Citroën dealer to see how much a roue galette would cost. The stores guy was very helpful and it took him ages before he found out that if we did order one he couldn't tell us how long it would take to arrive because the tyres are specially made for them and they don't make them until they have enough to makeConfused [8-)] Could be anything up to 6 months!!!!! I had phoned Citroën in the U.K. and they told me how much straight away and no problems getting them?

French car, French wheel, French tyre? What the hell is wrong here?'

The trouble with these types of wheel are that you are limited to speed and, if you tow, weight they can take - have a blow out in one on the back whilst towing and you need to take one off the front, put it on the back and then the SPARE WHEEL on to the front.

Far better to visit a breakers yard and buy a full size wheel to fit the car and use that as a spare. It will mean you are not limited to speed and will also a cheaper option.

But make sure that a full size spare will fit - Bentleys come with the cylinder of stuff to repair a puncture, additional cost for a space saver spare and a full size one will not fit in the car!

"Bentleys come with the cylinder of stuff to repair a puncture,

additional cost for a space saver spare and a full size one will not fit

in the car!

"

We don't have a Bentley, but we do have the cylinder of stuff, compressor, etc and because the car has self leveling rear suspention we don't have space for a fitted spare either, full size or little. We will not be towing anything bigger than a 1/2 ton max traiter to the dechet so that isn't a problem either. To chuck a full size wheel/tyre in the back of the car when we do go away would be too much. A 215/55 R16 wheel and tyre is bruddy 'ooge!!!

Ta for the idea though [:D]

• 2 weeks later...
Use of gunge can render a simple punctured tyre completely unrepairable.

Also no can of gunge will ever be able to repair a damaged sidewall or a gash from road debris.

It's worth remembering too that in France most tyre outlets will insist on selling you a pair of tyres and even it they were prepared to sell you one they will only do that if they have an identical one in stock and what do you think the chances are that are ?

Damage a tyre on a Saturday afternoon and you could find yourself stuck until Tuesday as many smaller outlets don't open on Mondays.

I have never and would never buy a new car but added to that is that I will never buy any second hand car which did not have a proper spare and that includes space saver temporary jobbies.

• 2 weeks later...
Well, going back to the original post. I have now bought the roue gallette, get you home wheel, from Citroën and ordered the 125,R16,90 tyre for it from Norauto on line. The money was paid by paypal and the tyre should have been in there franchise in Carcassonne. Yesterday I got the wheel and went round to Norauto to get the tyre fitted. If you order on line and get it sent to them they fit for free.

I produced the only e-mail printout I had and it was the paypal confirmation and they didn't know anything about it. Off back home and e-mailed Norauto to tell them they hadn't sent me the paperwork to get my tyre. So far no reply other than the auto-response to the e-mail! So now they have both my tyre and my money. If there's nowt from them on Monday I will be contacting paypal and ask them what I do?

Why oh why is nothing simple???

Since this thread started, just last week in fact, I got a puncture, a screw right though the tread.. 

Not too unusual in the scheme of things but very annoying but, here is the stupid thing, I didn't have a suitable spare.

I am on winter tyres and rims at the moment but the spare of course a summer tyre of different composition and size.

Winter wheel  16 x 70 x 215

Summer         18 x 50 x 235

Now I suppose that overall they are the same circumference but I also discovered that the supplied wheelbrace does not fit the nuts for the winter wheels!  My kind neighbour helped me out and also took me to a local tyre place where they fixed the hole.

So, I am now looking for just one winter tyre and rim of the correct size so I don't get stuck somewhere.  Oh yeah, I also went straight out and bought a wheelbrace with 4 different size sockets on it so at least that's covered.

"Oh yeah, I also went straight out and bought a wheelbrace with 4 different size sockets on it so at least that's covered."

Commonly known as a spider. I wouldn't leave home without one. The normal wheel brace in a car is about as much good as an ash tray on a motorbike normally [:-))]

Winter wheel     =  2222.36mm circumference, 707.4 diameter

Summer wheel  =  2174.67mm  ------ " ------- ,  692.2 diameter

[8-|] [8-|] [8-|] [8-|]

Ah yes, a spider. I knew it had a name but couldn't remember.

Thanks for the info re wheel sizes. The 2 sets I have are as specified in the handbook and carte de gris so I suppose they are correct.

Funny thing is that the summer wheels look bigger, I will compare them when it comes time to change them over around Easter time.