I know I shouldn't larf but ....

woolybanana

Well, there we were pottering along about 120kph on the motorway between Rouen and Calais, having taken a detour to avoid the MeMans 24 hour crowds, and there rushes past us a bright red topless sports car with a couple of chaps inside, wearing those baseball caps that seem to be the fashion these days.

I say 'rushes' past us, well, he was past us on a straight road before even seen in my mirror, doing closer to 150 kph, I guess.

We muttered a bit when lo and behold, out of a funny little slip lane shot two motorcycle gendarmes blue lights flashing, the light of battle in their eyes who hurtled off after the guy after nearly killing me, then they surrounded him and took him off at the next exit.

You mate were an idiot; don't you know that the cops wait for you guys with lovely cars recklessly endangering us simple folk after the 24hour race. I hope the fine is considerable and more for you deserve it.

I might add that folk stand on bridges over the m'way to watch the cars go by, and some of them are lovely, but driven sometimes by potatoes.

Oh and by the way, to the guy with the amazing McLaren which sounds like a motorised of Marlele Dietrich on the hunt, how ever did you manage to keep you speed within the limit when that big bird was just itching to fly.

Similar sentiment but still chuckled. We were waiting for the Roscoff/Roslaire ferry three weeks ago, off to Ireland on the bike to do the Wild Atlantic Way. French school bus drove in, kids filled out, teacher at the end. She stopped for a fag in the parking area. Drug team came round with dog, dog approached smoking teacher and became very excited at her hand bag. Fag out, teacher lead off protesting their innocence in front of all the kids and the rest of the ferry passengers.

Wooly that's a product miss match, A high performance car with a low performance brain behind the wheel, probably another accountant!

One of the Maclarens over took me heading back to the Eurotunnel. Later the same car over took me again. a while later the same car again. and I pulled into the Eurotunnel waiting area just ahead of said Maclaren so even if I had the money I would buy another Scenic!

I can only deduce this chap had to keep pulling off to fill the tank?

• 1 month later...
If you had read the OP you would have realised that WB classified himself as simple[:)]

[quote user="woolybanana"]

You mate were an idiot; don't you know that the cops wait for you guys with lovely cars recklessly endangering us simple folk after the 24hour race.[/quote]

Ah, Brit in Bretagne, what is the purpose of speed limits, do they not apply to people with high performance cars?

That motorway is full of commercial vehicles, heavy trucks, visitors, who do not deserve to have speed idiots hurtling down on them.

130 kph is quite fast enough.

Besides, the gendarmes are probably happy to add to the massive take from road fines in France, even if they are not already obligated to meet a quota.

It was a lovely car though.

By the way, my estimate of his speed could have been much lower than it actually was - I have no skill in guessing such things.

150 or 200 or whatever you like? The limit is 130 and if you are STUPID enough to do 20 kph over that limit then you deserve all you get.

Motos are the only ones who are allowed to make their own speed laws and any prat in a flash car is going to upset a damjam on a moto if the flaut that limit.

I normally sit at the limit or just under, but I keep a weather eye out for these idiots. I am a convert, in that in my yoof a long while back, there weren't the limits of today, but I tried to limit what I was doing to what was around me, no matter how straight the road was?

Ah, Brit in Bretagne, surely you know that doing anything on any road that is outside the normal range of what is predictable is dangerous; thus, any overtaking manoeuvre by and average motorist travelling at a reason able speed was put into jeopardy by an act that was unpredictable.

And, no, no envy, certainly not of the kinda person who does such stupid things. Nor of those who enjoy high powered sports cars, though that is to their taste, of course.

Wooly, you shold know now that envy is a bad thing!

If you want to meet your wonderful heros on those lovely motos with their tight trousers and long shiny boots you will have to go faster and not be so envoius of the bright young things that do [Www] [blink][blink]