What is that stuff called ???

alittlebitfrench

And how, nomoss, do you judge that.

Even "qualified" mechanics would have problems diagnosing faults on cars nowadays if they don't have the expensive computer gadgets.

I gave up diy when I was looking for the points on a car and discovered that it was electronic ignition!

Bad workmanship endangers not only those in the car but also those outside.

[quote user="Théière"][quote user="Brit in Bretagne"]I know it's probably not macho enough for most of the testosterone fuelled posters on here but I use professionals for everything concerned with the tyres and brakes on my vehicles. It my cost more but it's my money and, in my opinion, money well spent.[/quote]

Yes always better to judge for yourself. Some possess only the abilities to arrange figures in columns. Others are great at telling people what to do. Your own abilities may not run to engineering but testosterone has nothing to do with it, plenty of good estrogen biased engineers out there.[/quote]

The testosterone I was referring to is that that fuels keyboards not dirty hands. There's a lot of talk and bragging going on and personally I think that the OP is probably out of his depth and all the "I know better than you cr@p" as to whether it's best to use replacement setscrews or expensive superglue is not helping him one bit.

[quote user="richard51"]And how, nomoss, do you judge that.

Even "qualified" mechanics would have problems diagnosing faults on cars nowadays if they don't have the expensive computer gadgets.

I gave up diy when I was looking for the points on a car and discovered that it was electronic ignition!

Bad workmanship endangers not only those in the car but also those outside.[/quote]

Back off.

[quote user="richard51"]

Even "qualified" mechanics would have problems diagnosing faults on cars nowadays if they don't have the expensive computer gadgets. [/quote]

Qualified mechanics who use computer diagnostics are now called technicians. The majority of these "technicians" couldn't diagnose a fault if it hit them between the eyes.

They read a code relating to a part showing a fault but don't understand that senor is just doing it's job and sensing, the fault lays elsewhere but they change the sensor and charge for it only to have the customer return with the fault they originally came in for [:(]

Case in point, in-laws Mercedes, in a main dealers. System sensor reports overheating, do they check if the engine is overheating? No, change the sensor and throw away a perfectly good sensor doing it's job (A bit like management nowadays). An old hand [;-)] suggests they change the thermostat as the wax has probably left the unit, et voila all good, I haven't got closer than 6 feet from the diagnostic computer, My bill would have been a lot less than the one they paid.

Owning a shiny main dealers of one of the best marques is still no guarantee so bad workmanship exists at all levels and is not restricted to mechanics. There are bad accountants, bad economists, bad politicians, doctors, dentists you name it but it's always safe to pick on the person perceived as lower in status.